Traded #13: Orazio Fantasia - Off to Carlton as a delisted free agent, scored a 2 year deal?

Would you take Razzle Dazzle back at the Hangar?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

as a board we really can't win can we.

draft mids = we need a small forward.

draft small forward = really dissapointed we didn't draft a flanker we can turn into a mid.... o_O

We need blokes who can kick goals, and that's something this bloke can do.

Jack

- Some of us have being saying draft midfielders who can rest forward and be in the second rotation.

- Small forwards dont win big finals games - Last one I can remember dominatiing a finals series was Kevin Bartlett in 1980. For example, small forwards can be converted;look at Stokes who played valuable midfield minutes in 2013.

- Anyway we need to hope that Kavanagh/2 merrett's/Hams/Browne can step into the midfield.

The discussion is not who we recruited in the 2013 (Rapt to get Merritt - can't beat elite kicks and decision makers) But recruiting players who suit future trends in AFL style footy.

As an aside - I hope the club makes a big play for Tomlinson - Has shown lots as a centre half forward and may be superfluous to requirements at GWS - Could play very well with JD.

Jack

- Some of us having being saying draft midfielders who can rest forward and be in the second rotation.

- Small forwards dont win big finals games - Last one I can remember dominatiing a finals series was Kevin Bartlett in 1980. For example Stokes a small forward ran beautifully through the midfield in 2013.

- Anyway we need to hope that Kavanagh/2 merrett's/Hams/Browne can step into the midfield.

The discussion is not who we recruited in the 2013 - Rapt to get Merritt - can't beat elite kicks and decision makers - But in the style of play in the future.

01568416.gif

Jack

- Some of us having being saying draft midfielders who can rest forward and be in the second rotation.

- Small forwards dont win big finals games - Last one I can remember dominatiing a finals series was Kevin Bartlett in 1980. For example Stokes a small forward ran beautifully through the midfield in 2013.

The discussion is not who we recruited in the 2013 - Rapt to get Merritt - can't beat elite kicks and decision makers - But in the style of play in the future.

so the plan is to eventually have less actual forwards than we did this year and yet magically expect to have a more efficient forward line?

This my friend is called a difference of opinion

We have been crying out for a small forward for years. Jetta wasn't up to it, Davey was a jet for a year til he blew up his knee - go to his pre-draft tape to see some real excitement. Fantasia is quick, has a nice set shot and looks a genuine opportunist which is what you need with the defensive grind of the modern game. Hawthorn won 08 in large part due to its opportunists like Dew, Rioli and Williams who kicked goals from half chances coupled with Geelong completely capitulating in front of the sticks. I am happy with this selection but unfortunately we can't have them all. Next year on the radar I think we need to target a genuine inside ball magnet groomed for when Jobe eventually retires. Wouldn't mind us checking out Willie Rioli JR in this upcoming rookie draft.

I think you done well picking Orazio as i think he is an interesting young player as a small forward/midfielder with good speed, agility, endurance and goal sense. Lightly framed player but is courageous and reads the fall of the ball exceptionally well so good luck with this kid and hope you like my post, Sounds like you replaced davie.

so the plan is to eventually have less actual forwards than we did this year and yet magically expect to have a more efficient forward line?

This my friend is called a difference of opinion

Its not about a difference of opinion - It's about you ( reasonably ) posting a 'damned if you do an damned if you don't' type post, about the different opinions on this board, relating to the roles of small forwards and midfielders. We can have 15 small forwards or 2 small forwards - But no point having lots of small forwards if they can't kick goals - So if they can't do their primary role, its handy if they rotate through the midfield in a secondary role. Unfortunately our small forwards do neither.

Anyway, I hope that Kommer can play mainly midfield as this suits his skill set, and that J.Merrett ( who is in his last game, got up and the field like I've never seen before) gets more midfield minutes.

And I reiterate that small forwards have little impact in GF's playing 100% in the forward line.

I think you done well picking Orazio as i think he is an interesting young player as a small forward/midfielder with good speed, agility, endurance and goal sense. Lightly framed player but is courageous and reads the fall of the ball exceptionally well so good luck with this kid and hope you like my post, Sounds like you replaced davie.
Liked

as a board we really can't win can we.

draft mids = we need a small forward.

draft small forward = really dissapointed we didn't draft a flanker we can turn into a mid.... o_O

We need blokes who can kick goals, and that's something this bloke can do.

Much behind this?

Didn't he kick 23 goals in 20 games or something? hardly amazing

In his highlights he seemed to be getting a lot of his goals against weak opposition do you know how he went against high quality teams?

Also he could potentially be a late developer and grow close to 180cm im not when hes born in the year but just something I thought of.

I think Jackson Merrett is a genuine wingman but doesn't have the tank or frame just yet. His brother I think is also a genuine winger at AFL level and will probably spend time onball but again his fitness/tank wont allow that straight up. Kommer potential run with midfielder. Im unsure on Hams/Orazio developing as genuine midfielders but I don't think we necessarily need them to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much behind this?

Didn't he kick 23 goals in 20 games or something? hardly amazing

In his highlights he seemed to be getting a lot of his goals against weak opposition do you know how he went against high quality teams?

Also he could potentially be a late developer and grow close to 180cm im not when hes born in the year but just something I thought of.

I think Jackson Merrett is a genuine wingman but doesn't have the tank or frame just yet. His brother I think is also a genuine winger at AFL level and will probably spend time onball but again his fitness/tank wont allow that straight up. Kommer potential run with midfielder. Im unsure on Hams/Orazio developing as genuine midfielders but I don't think we necessarily need them to.

Hams is absolutely a genuine midfielder, watch a VFL game.

don't put much stock in u18 stats, when recruiters are watching guys they certainly don't, Fantasia only had about 7 touches in the SANFL granny

Hams is absolutely a genuine midfielder, watch a VFL game.

don't put much stock in u18 stats, when recruiters are watching guys they certainly don't, Fantasia only had about 7 touches in the SANFL granny

Avoiding my initial question?

Yeh happy to admit seen bugger all of Hams except his very small snippets at AFL level and he seemed more of a natural hunting midfielder than forward.

Id be interested into our philosophy of picking these small fwd/mids. We must see something behind it because the good onballers these days tend to be the big high 180cm 90kg type frames. Whereas we seem to be going down a slightly different path. Happy to give it time to see it evolve. I guess we still have some big midfielders in Watson/Goddard/Hocking for the now then we will see Heppell/Myers/Melksham and then after that the Ekav/NOB/***** still yet to get another. I guess you wouldn't say many of those guys are quick and that's the area we are trying to address through their in the future. I also think the club sees a potential hole in the after Winderlich/Chapman/Crameri/Monfries/Davey/Jetta/Zacka (moving more full time mid) times.

I don't expect any of Hams/Orazio/J.Merrett/Colyer to have any significant involvement in the onball division until 26-27 if still on the list.

Avoiding my initial question?

Yeh happy to admit seen bugger all of Hams except his very small snippets at AFL level and he seemed more of a natural hunting midfielder than forward.

Id be interested into our philosophy of picking these small fwd/mids. We must see something behind it because the good onballers these days tend to be the big high 180cm 90kg type frames. Whereas we seem to be going down a slightly different path. Happy to give it time to see it evolve. I guess we still have some big midfielders in Watson/Goddard/Hocking for the now then we will see Heppell/Myers/Melksham and then after that the Ekav/NOB/***** still yet to get another. I guess you wouldn't say many of those guys are quick and that's the area we are trying to address through their in the future. I also think the club sees a potential hole in the after Winderlich/Chapman/Crameri/Monfries/Davey/Jetta/Zacka (moving more full time mid) times.

I don't expect any of Hams/Orazio/J.Merrett/Colyer to have any significant involvement in the onball division until 26-27 if still on the list.

no, i'm not, I answered it. Our (very good) recruiters see something in Fantasia, and it's nothing to do with his under 18s statistics, they weren't bad by any means, but it's just not something you put a lot of stock in with 18 year olds (see Matt Crouch and Lewis Taylor going later than their prolific ball winning would suggest on the surface).

As far as hams goes, if he keeps that improvement trajectory going he'll be best 22 by 2015

We haven't had a decent small forward since Boris..

Interesting that when Dodoro spoke post draft he mentioned Orazio as a 180cm type. Maybe hes growing and the club saw that.

Wouldnt surprise me to see him picked for a few games next year under Basset. Hes played against men and is probably every bit as good as Kommer well hes got much better skill and i think hed apply more pressure. Both really shouldnt be getting too many games next year.

Interesting that when Dodoro spoke post draft he mentioned Orazio as a 180cm type. Maybe hes growing and the club saw that.

Wouldnt surprise me to see him picked for a few games next year under Basset. Hes played against men and is probably every bit as good as Kommer well hes got much better skill and i think hed apply more pressure. Both really shouldnt be getting too many games next year.

I don't expect to see Orazio in the seniors in 2014, struggled in the few senior games he played at Norwood, had some really good moments but over all he was really good for the Norwood reserves side.

Good point. I wonder if Kommer was a stop gap until this guy comes on.

Absolutely sickened by this decision. Listening to Brian Taylor is bad enough as is without this guy being added to the mix.

I love how people complain about listening to BT when they can just hit "mute"

Back