Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/jake-kelly

306399-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Position: Small defender
Height: 189cm
Weight: 84kg
Born: 21/1/95
Home club: Oakleigh Chargers
The son of former Collingwood defender Craig, Kelly may have to make his own name after the Magpies opted not to snaffle him as a father-son selection in the NAB AFL Draft. A left-footed medium defender who provides excellent rebound for his team, the 18-year-old can match up on taller and smaller opponents. He competes well in the air and showed his promise with the Oakleigh Chargers. If Kelly slips through at November's draft, the Pies will consider nominating him as a rookie father-son selection. Under a new rule, that would allow Collingwood to automatically pre-list him before the rookie draft on November 27.

Under a new rule, that would allow Collingwood to automatically pre-list him before the rookie draft on November 27.

Read that in a particular way, the rule is only for Collingwood... which doesn't surprise me.

Elite endurance obviously, look out NvB he's after your crown...:D

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-04/combine-attendees-continue-to-impress-with-results

JOSH Kelly has won the final event at this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine, running the second-fastest three-kilometre time trial in the testing's 20-year history.

Kelly won the run last year when competing for a place in the Greater Western Sydney mini-draft, and backed up just over a month before this year’s draft, completeing the run in nine minutes and 32 seconds.

The best time in combine testing is nine minutes and 30 seconds, by former Port Adelaide rookie Tom Rieschbieth in 2005.

The 18-year-old Kelly surpassed his time of last year by 16 seconds, and again underlined himself as an early pick on November 21 when the draft takes place at the Gold Coast.

"I had the advantage of a few weeks of training under my belt and I was hoping to get a bit of a PB (personal best)," Kelly said after the run.

"I'm pretty happy with it. It's a good way to end the camp, it's been a lot of fun this week."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jake Kelly – Oakleigh Chargers / 189cm / 84kg / ‘95

Snoop Dog - Been a bit of a surprise packet this year and has got himself into a position where he will get drafted at some stage given quality of performances in the VFL towards the end of the year. Good athlete with good endurance and is terrific size and someone who moves really well and has that touch of class that all left footed HB flankers seem to have. His athletic credentials will enable him to play on smaller types but he has a good leap and I could see him marking taller types in years to come. Averaged nearly 20 touches a year in the TAC and ball use was very good. Collingwood passed on him so he might be a chance.

Knightmare - Kelly is an athletic outside type who has shown that he can break the lines when given the opportunity but is more of a component of a backline than a weapon. He’s slipped under the radar some this year but he’s played some solid footy and continued his improvement. He’s an effective run and carry type who mostly plays off a back flank. His major strength though is as a stopper as he has a relatively strong body already and can also defensively play a role and limit his direct opponents influence and has shown that he can play on players of varied sizes. He just needs to start to win more of his own footy and become a more damaging rebounder and continue to work on his execution by foot to find that next level to his play.

Hope he's not like his dad, one of the most annoying and try hard players in VFL/AFL history.
I seen Craig play some bloody good footy for the Redlegs before he went to Victoria. One of the more influential player/sports managers going around, hope he's got a readymade ruckman on his books for next year. ;)

Yeah, nah. He is 10 deep with our current backline talent. Back flankers are a dime a dozen. Darcy H should be here.

we will end up loving this guy. Played against men for Collingwood and had very good games. He is not intimidated by reputation. Needs to work on kick but he has all of the other qualiites we would want - will be the running half back flanker we need to take over from Brodie Smith.

Were you watching the right bloke? Craig Kelly was a hard at it bloody good footballer. Jake has a good pedigree.

All i remember of Craig Kelly is a supposed tough guy who whined incessantly and got a mysterious niggle every time State Of Origin duty called.

Come on people get around this kid, pages and pages on the other 3, I'm tipping he will be the surprise packet of the 4 young guys we've rookied after looking at some of his highlights/footage, very tidy footballer and I can see why our recruiting team took a shine to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back