Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking good - works hard and finally got reward.

I reckon, like Crameri, his 2nd season after his first game will be when he 'arrives'. He arrived 4 months ago and the club is shocked as to how much they were able to improve his footy nous - with a few games to get the feel of the level - he will come into his own after another pre-season.

He obviously really understands his body, and can adapt this as he will know what it takes after only playing can do.

I disagree with this. Goddard has already said that he's the best athlete that he's every played with. It is about reading the play and using the ball that Ambrose needs to develop. He will get that playing games and if he plays most games this year he will have developed a lot come finals time.

Out of curiosity how tall is he? I've seen him listed at 185, 191 and now the op has him listed as 194/195.
In any event he's had an impressive first two games, he and Chappy have really added another dimension to your forward line.

Out of curiosity how tall is he? I've seen him listed at 185, 191 and now the op has him listed as 194/195.
In any event he's had an impressive first two games, he and Chappy have really added another dimension to your forward line.
He'd be 194/5 at a guess. Was taller than Birchall who's listed at 193

I disagree with this. Goddard has already said that he's the best athlete that he's every played with. It is about reading the play and using the ball that Ambrose needs to develop. He will get that playing games and if he plays most games this year he will have developed a lot come finals time.

yes, he is an athletic freak but there is fitness and there is tailored fitness. It is why it takes numerous pre-seasons to get AFL fit regardless of the freaks that come into the system. All sports are different.

Crameri is a perfect example - came to club as an athletic freak, 400, 800m runner in state championships, could bench 140kgs, slam dunk (reading an old article lol) and was actually a midfielder when he got his go at AFL level. He looked ok.

But, that following pre-season, he transformd himself into an AFL ready freak. Fitness, power, strength all balances and nearly overnight went from what looked like a plodding mid (at AFL level) to a near impossible match up for any afl team.

I think Ambrose can do similar, he will do well this season Im fairly confident, but I dont think he is at his AFL ready peak (fitness) just yet.

Well I'd want to see him clunk a few contested marks before saying that he has the ability to be better than Crameri.

Think that ultimately Ambrose is better suited to doing what we need that third tall/half foward player to be doing but that it doesn't necessarily translate to him being a better player/having more potential.

If he starts pulling down marks and getting more ball on the lead (especially closer to goal) we could have something quite special on our hands.

The most impressive thing is that he has shown an ability to grind out games to have an influence in a side that is still quite poor at getting the ball into the hands of its key forwards (for a host of reasons). Think that Ambrose's true worth would be in a side that knows how to use hit up forwards with a forward line in which everyone works hard to create space (see Hawthorn's clinic in the first half last night for an example of what that looks like).

Well I'd want to see him clunk a few contested marks before saying that he has the ability to be better than Crameri.

Think that ultimately Ambrose is better suited to doing what we need that third tall/half foward player to be doing but that it doesn't necessarily translate to him being a better player/having more potential.

If he starts pulling down marks and getting more ball on the lead (especially closer to goal) we could have something quite special on our hands.

The most impressive thing is that he has shown an ability to grind out games to have an influence in a side that is still quite poor at getting the ball into the hands of its key forwards (for a host of reasons). Think that Ambrose's true worth would be in a side that knows how to use hit up forwards with a forward line in which everyone works hard to create space (see Hawthorn's clinic in the first half last night for an example of what that looks like).

Having watched the Saints yesterday. After a year or two, he plays a very similar style to St Nick with his ability to push up and down the ground. As Nick does so wonderfully well, Ambrose needs to clunk those marks on the lead to show his true worth.

I don't think you can overlook that his first half was pretty poor. Was surprise that Bomba confirmed he was going to pull him off had Ryder not gone down. TBH, I don't think anyone would have been surprise. But as fate and luck would have it.. Ambrose fought back into the match (along with the rest of the team) and contributed nicely.

So Paddy gets lucky and Ambrose ends up with the oranges

Ambrose, a bit stiff if you ask me;)

Can't wait to see this guy run all day and compete at a heap of contests on a bigger ground like the MCG or against freo in Perth. The first two of his goals against the hawks I think were a bit lucky. He was in the right spots from memory, although I was impressed with his finishing.

But his 3rd goal was amazing. Ran to the contest, competed at ground level with pace and had the balance to finish and the strength to do it all in a tackle under intense pressure. It was at a pretty critical moment of the game too. Huge goal!

Is it just me or is when he has the ball running in for goal makes everything feel like it is slowed?
Rare talent if that is the case!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of over praise after last game. Still a long way to go, I think he looks lost at times out there and on top of that he really started to fade out in terms of his run towards the end. Apart from that did a fantastic job of finding a hat trick, very promising.

pattyambroseyes_zps14f2d946.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back