Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked off the pace last night and did not seem to cover the ground he normally would. Would not be surprised to see him rested in the next couple of weeks.

He still did a few nice things, mainly strong marks and bumps protecting teammates, that when added to everything else are really making this guy look like a ridiculously good find by the club.

While there is only a small range of samples, his set shot goal kicking is really quite good to go with field kicking that always seems to be to the advantage of a teammate. Seems like he has a bit of a cannon if that shot against Geelong in the third quarter is anything to go by.

I like Ambrose in the Monfries role. He's taller, yes, but that's his optimal role IMO. Bellchambers in a FP with Daniher FF and someone leading up would be perfect

If we had a legitimate #1 key forward, with JD playing second-fiddle, and PA doing the leg-work, the latter pair would do quite well. Carlisle/TBC have to
I like Ambrose in the Monfries role. He's taller, yes, but that's his optimal role IMO. Bellchambers in a FP with Daniher FF and someone leading up would be perfect

Who is this man?!

If we had a legitimate #1 key forward, with JD playing second-fiddle, and PA doing the leg-work, the latter pair would do quite well. Carlisle/TBC have to

Who is this man?!
Depends. IF Pears stays forward in the VFL and starts finding confidence there, I like his game there but if not, Tyler Keitel from the draft if he's at our pick is my man. Another player if he doesn't re-sign is Tom Lynch from Adelaide

I think the added mobility of Ambrosey ( :hearts: Bomber's videos) as the third tall is more valuable than the added height of playing him small.

I think the added mobility of Ambrosey ( :hearts: Bomber's videos) as the third tall is more valuable than the added height of playing him small.
It depends. Honestly he's everything we wanted Gus to be. Imagine playing Freo with the set up I just had, instead of Ibbotson/Duffield playing loose we force them to man up on a dangerous forward instead

Depends. IF Pears stays forward in the VFL and starts finding confidence there, I like his game there but if not, Tyler Keitel from the draft if he's at our pick is my man. Another player if he doesn't re-sign is Tom Lynch from Adelaide

I like your ideas on Keitel and Lynch but if Pears ends up as a permanent forward in our side I'll eat my humble pie, generously covered in the mans genetically deficient seminal fluids, with my pie reclining gently on a patty of his doodoo butter. Mmm Pear Pie.
The man barely looks at home in his natural position let alone playing forward. Early i know, but he looks lost so far in the VFL forward line. The coaches are really getting d'espo with that one.
Steiny is even ahead of him for that position. Thoughts Oh Tayteridge. #pokethebear.

I like your ideas on Keitel and Lynch but if Pears ends up as a permanent forward in our side I'll eat my humble pie, generously covered in the mans genetically deficient seminal fluids, with my pie reclining gently on a patty of his doodoo butter. Mmm Pear Pie.
The man barely looks at home in his natural position let alone playing forward. Early i know, but he looks lost so far in the VFL forward line. The coaches are really getting d'espo with that one.
Steiny is even ahead of him for that position. Thoughts Oh Tayteridge. #pokethebear.
The few times he's had 2-3 games in a row there he's actually looked solid enough in the latter stages of that streak, but then he either gets shifted back for a game, ruining continuity, or injured. His forward game was impressive enough against Collingwood IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The few times he's had 2-3 games in a row there he's actually looked solid enough in the latter stages of that streak, but then he either gets shifted back for a game, ruining continuity, or injured. His forward game was impressive enough against Collingwood IMO.

I haven't seen him in the role, so I'm asking genuinely: does he look like he could fill a gap there, or does he look like one day he could improve so as to legitmately perform the role at high level on a consistent basis?

Early days for this call, I understand, but we need to recruit for need and if we're again forcing round KPP into square role holes, then we need to bite the bullet. Too much makeshift for too long.

I haven't seen him in the role, so I'm asking genuinely: does he look like he could fill a gap there, or does he look like one day he could improve so as to legitmately perform the role at high level on a consistent basis?

Early days for this call, I understand, but we need to recruit for need and if we're again forcing round KPP into square role holes, then we need to bite the bullet. Too much makeshift for too long.
His lead up game is impressive. Seems to find a bit of space, but I'll reassess after I see him vs Port, Footscray and Collingwood, possibly in the first final in the VFL. I can't make the call right now but given time, I think he's definitely an option.

I was about to ask whether you can see him in our premiership forward lines, but there have been some average premiership winning forward lines in the past 10 years.
I'm open to the idea of 2 'role playing' KPF's in one premiership side (see Leigh Brown/Chris Dawes), am far from convinced that Pears has the ability. As you say, guess we'll have to wait and see.
I think we're all agreed the best option is to look outside the club.
Tom Lynch on FA the best option for mine.

His lead up game is impressive. Seems to find a bit of space, but I'll reassess after I see him vs Port, Footscray and Collingwood, possibly in the first final in the VFL. I can't make the call right now but given time, I think he's definitely an option.

I might try and get along to a game too. That's somewhat comforting. Cheers.

I was about to ask whether you can see him in our premiership forward lines, but there have been some average premiership winning forward lines in the past 10 years.
I'm open to the idea of 2 'role playing' KPF's in one premiership side (see Leigh Brown/Chris Dawes), am far from convinced that Pears has the ability. As you say, guess we'll have to wait and see.
I think we're all agreed the best option is to look outside the club.
Tom Lynch on FA the best option for mine.

You either need a couple of guns, or it's a sum of all parts approach. We might have to shoot for something in between at this rate.

With all that being said, I think the solution is to get Tyler Keitel. Fits our needs to a tee once his body matures enough for AFL level.

Imagine him with another pre-season into him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back