Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

both Tom Lynch's arent free agents for awhile. remember, the crows one spent his first couple of years at another club
He's out of contract. Bloody hell, just because someone's not a FA doesn't mean you can't get them

To whoever said after 2 games that Ambrose is vital to our structure, good call.

I still say I was within my rights to reserve judgement for a bit longer but he is coming along nicely.

Where did we pluck him from?

He's out of contract. Bloody hell, just because someone's not a FA doesn't mean you can't get them
yes im well aware of that, but it's also a lot harder to woo them over and may require a contract overpayment which may not be suitable for a club looking to move into premiership contention (and given tom lynch isnt very good)

Was a dinkum question, one I'll follow with another.

Prior to the rookie draft did anyone know much about him? From over the border here I'd never heard of him until we selected him.
Nope, don't think he was on anyone's radar here. Surely it was in the club's mind when we bought him over from Coburg, but he wasn't even seen as dominating in the twos, just a contributor. His skills and footy brain have come on quickly since the start of the year, he was seen as almost a project player when we drafted him, based on what came before.

I'll take credit for the Ambrose and our structure comment because we've never had a hard working half forward. Once he starts to catch a lot more he'll be amazing.
b
Anyways .. all day I was calling him GOAT, as is my want. My mum started to call him Billy. Can we make his nickname Billy from now on?

It is no coincidence that his defensive output is dropping at the same time that his attacking output is increasing.

In the last month there has been a better balance of defence and attack and he's finding himself with ball in hand more and also in scoring positions.

For now we can continue to use him as a workhorse CHF. It will be really interesting to see what happens in the next few years as Daniher and Carlisle and/or currently undrafted key forward/ruck or Bellchambers come into the side.

Think we can get out of this guy what we always wanted from Crameri. He's a guy that can play as a KPF if we want him to but he can genuinely play small.

Our scouts have been amazing at finding key forwards the last few years. Crameri, Jenkins (tear) and now Ambrose is a fantastic strike rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of curiosity is that Tom Lynch who was being discussed that guy who has done nothing other than kicking one bag against GWS last year?

33 goals in 17 games at an average of 1.9 goals a game in 2013 having bagged 10 in one game.

Why would we bother?

To whoever said after 2 games that Ambrose is vital to our structure, good call.

Yep, called it back then. He just straightens our forwardline up. Might not kick bags (although he will) but he adds structure to our side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back