Player Watch 48. Carl Peterson (2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Index Page

Selection No. 61. Carl Peterson (Hawthorn's 4th pick of 2008 rookie draft)
Richmond, medium forward, 3 July, 1987, 183cm, 70kg.

Carl has been in the system with Richmond. He lost his way a bit with a personal issue and had returned to Western Australia. He played a couple of games with the Northern Bullants reserves this year but was injured. He returned to Western Australia with the intention of playing for Claremont next year. He’s a player we’ve monitored over a long period of time. He is extremely gifted in terms of football ability. He plays as a wingman/half-forward and played the NTFL season with St Marys in their premiership side and played in the ruck. He has an outstanding vertical leap but we see him as a player who has been through the system and has matured. He is genuinely excited about getting another opportunity because he feels he didn’t make the most of his last one

Post 1: index and draft details
2 -

Re: 48. Carl Peterson (Rookie)

Not sure when young Carl is going to play and generate stats etc so I thought I'd post some background stuff because he is not that well known even among Hawk fans. Apologies in advance to any who have seen this

[SIZE=-1]Print date: 30 November 2006[/SIZE]​
Carl gets drafted

AFL.jpg

Carl Peterson (centre) playing for Claremont against
South Fremantle in this years semi final at Subiaco Oval.
Photo by: William Crabb

Kununurra footballer Carl Peterson (MacNeill) has been drafted to play with the AFL side Richmond.
Carl's father, high profile Kununurra District High School music teacher Ed MacNeill said: "I'm over the moon - it's fantastic."
Carl was born in Meekatharra and moved Kununurra when he was two.
Even at that tender age he was already showing signs of natural aptitude with a ball, being able to bounce a basketball and keep it within his control.
He started playing junior football at about eight and had a good role model in Ed, who was playing for Magpies Football Club at that time.
Ed said Carl was always around people kicking and passing footballs and was always around at training.
After completing Year 11 at Kununurra District High School, he had some time off before heading to Perth to finish Year 12 and train in football as part of the Clontarf Program (that is now available in Kununurra).
He was a ruck rover with the Clontarf team, moving on to play in reserves for Claremont in the WAFL.
He played in the last three lead games and in two final series games.
Sydney Swans tried to draft him, but he was kept back by a groin injury.
Carl received the news that he had been drafted to the Richmond side on Saturday morning.
He was picked 60th and was Richmond's fourth pic.
Ed said that it was great to see that a Kununurra boy could, with the right support, go on to play AFL football.
As an interesting sidelight - both Claremont and Richmond use the tiger as their mascot.
Carl will stay with a player and then a host family of an ex player when he goes to Richmond.
The club will also organise for him to be involved in further education to fill in the time when he is not training.
Another Kimberley star Liam Bedford was not taken in Saturday's draft, but has such exciting potential that he has excellent prospects of being chosen on and AFL club's rookie list.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Kimberley Echo
[/SIZE][/FONT]

This was part of an article in The Australian in 2006 mainly about Calib Mourish.

"Mourish's Clontarf stablemate Carl Peterson also looms as an unusual draft story, having worked as a grave-digger in Perth this year after graduating. Peterson, 19, from Kununurra in the Kimberley, broke into Claremont's senior side late last season and is an exciting prospect, according to AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan.
"He is another interesting one. His vertical leap is incredible," Sheehan said.
"He takes off on Monday and lands on Thursday. He is a wonderful athlete."
The softly spoken Peterson, who weighs 70kg, described his stint in the WAFL as an eye-opener that would force him into the gym over summer.
"There are a lot of mature bodies," he said. "They are pretty big people, so I think I'm going to have to lift a few weights."

Carl was at the Coburg game yesterday. Once again David Flood spent most of the day with him. Must be mentoring him I assume. Houdinihuddo and I spoke briefly to Carl. He said he is two weeks away from playing. Now I'd be a surprised if he didn't need to do a little more fitness work than this but given the fact that he was doing sprints at training last week, he must be getting closer.

Carl has been selected to play for the Box Hill Hawks Development Squad on Sunday 17th May 2009

This will be his first game of football for the Hawks.

Round 6 VFL

Casey Scorpions vs. Box Hill Hawks (Reserves)Sunday 17thMay
Casey Fields at 11:10 AM

Casey Scorpions

B Strauss Zomer Taylor
HB Chivers Williams B. McDonald
C Scanlon Oldmeadow Vernon
HF Bolton Snow Jurrah
F Liddle Waite Matheson
R Spencer Healey Creed
Int Mazurek Clay Blaser
Sykes Lees Mildren
Patti Virtue

Box Hill Hawks

B Warby Van Unen Carey
HB Hoegel Sandilands Marcius
C Sierakowski George Nye
HF Bull Hogan Fieschi
F Peterson Conyers Walsh
R Renton McGuinness Cross
Int Cunningham Sherwen Harper
Underwood Parker Furey
Tomkins Coyle

According to HoudiniHuddo who collects such information, Carl had 14 possessions in the the second half, the only half he played, for Box Hill reserves today.

Evidently he was very hard at the contested ball and took one spectacular leap to spoil a mark. Heaps of pace too.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

He said that he pulled up well after the game and was getting encouragement from Whitey, David Flood and Clarko amongst others. The hawk officials and players seem very keen for Carl to do well.

(Posted by houdinihuddo)

Carl had 14 good possessions even though he spent some time on the bench recovering his breath due to his lack of match fitness. Having witnessed Carl’s amazing ball handling skills at training it was great to finally see how he plays in a match. The most pleasing aspect of his game was the fact that on three occasions he threw himself into a pack to win a contested ball and twice he disposed of the ball with effective handballs before he hit the ground.

Early in the third quarter he broke clear with pace and speared a quick 45 metres kick on his non preferred left foot which went to the team’s advantage. Later in the quarter he won possession in front of his opponent and in a flash he was a couple of metres clear. He had one huge leap from the side of a pack for a defensive spoil and applied some good defensive pressure. The only down side to his game was a couple of times he went too close to an oncoming opponent and had to hurry his kicks around the player.

I spoke the Carl after the game and he said he was very excited to get through the game. Carl has really impressed me when I have spoken to him and based on my observations at training and Box Hill I am confident he has fitted in very well at Hawthorn. We can only collectively hope Carl has an injury free run and can build his match fitness and stamina because if he does I think we are in for an absolute treat because he has ball handling skills comparable to Cyril, an incredible leap and he looks seriously quick.

Can do in the air what Junior does on the ground great call NotDave..:thumbsu:

Is there anyway that Carl Peterson can play Seniors this year or do we need a long term injury player for him to come in?

Are there any up dates on Carl,i went to the Box Hill vs Sandringham and i think he pulled a Hammy in the developement squad.But watched him at Casey a few weeks earlier and was very impressed with his Skills and attack on the ball.Is Carl back playing yet and he does seem settled in with the other boys,joking and messing around.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...7/default.aspx
List assessment: Hawthorn
By Chris Fagan

Carl Peterson
He struggled with knee and hamstring injuries this year and has only had three or four games in the VFL. We are hopeful he has overcome those problems now. He came back to Box Hill, and with a solid pre-season he could be a player who could bob up and make an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petersen, Petersen, he's my man

If he can't do it, no one can.

I look forward to significant progress from a player who, acccording to our invaluable training scouts, is showing some great signs at training.

Hopefully, a year free of injury will allow Petersen to show some of the x-factor and amazing athleticism he was renowned for a youngster.

This is Petersen's second year on the rookie list; he will no doubt be aiming to secure elevation with a solid year.

I will keep you all posted on his progress, (most likely at Box Hill)

Good luck, Grook!

It seems Josh Gibson shares the enthusiasm of pre-season training watchers.

For those who missed Halfback Dasher's post on the main board...Speaking on SEN, Gibbo was shocked by the talent of an un-named "indigenous rookie", who could really only be our man Carl.:thumbsu:

Certainly, when we drafted him, the knowledge that it was Richmond that delisted him certainly gave us all cause for optimism, as they seem to have a habit of giving away good players (Port and Rodan say hi, guys :) )..

And it seems, so far, that the Tigers are continuing their recent tradition.

Roll on NAB Cup..I've no doubt that Carl will be given a chance to show his wares. :D

Hawk fans get a chance to see what Peterson can do this Friday, as he is named for his first game in the brown and gold against the Doggies...

Hopefully, it shall be a debut that will have the Richmond forum go into another "Rodan at Port" meltdown :D

Is Carl's height 183, he just looks alot taller than that

Not the biggest build, 183 cm sounds about right.

From many accounts, his leap is elite, which may account for the confusion

Nab Cup, Rnd 2

7 kicks
6 handballs
13 disposals
4 marks
1 hit-out

Lots of agility, including a spring-heeled mark, reflecting some of the things we'd heard about him.
A very promising debut on a fairly bleak night...Peterson showed that he could become a regular/semi-regular this year

When asked for a Dream team smoky this morning, Clarkson had absolutely no hesitation...

"Peterson"

The boy has been impressing, ink him in for a rookie elevation, and pencil him in for a start in Round 1

When asked for a Dream team smoky this morning, Clarkson had absolutely no hesitation...

"Peterson"

The boy has been impressing, ink him in for a rookie elevation, and pencil him in for a start in Round 1
Melbourne v Hawthorn Sat 27th MCG 2:10 pm - TEAM and discussion ...
As posted on the official AFL site

B: Grant Birchall, Josh Gibson, Tom Murphy
HB: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Rick Ladson
C: Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Xavier Ellis
HF: Michael Osborne, Ryan Schoenmakers, Rhan Hooper
F: Jarryd Morton, Jarryd Roughead, Campbell Brown
Foll: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Garry Moss
I/C: Jarrod Kayler-Thomson, Carl Peterson, Liam Shiels, Matt Suckling
Emg: Taylor Duryea, Ben Stratton, Jordan Williams

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225845266986

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s-concerns-hawks/story-e6frf9jf-1225846183978

The Hawks have named midfielder Jarrod Kayler-Thomson, 24, and forward Carl Peterson, 22, to make their debuts.
"In Jarrod's particular case, he didn't get drafted as a Geelong Falcon and went across to Perth and plied his trade there for four or five years with the Perth footy club," Clarkson said.
"He just consistently got in the best players for Perth and was playing a good level of football.
"
Carl Peterson was a young lad who got his chance at Richmond, but just wasn't ready at that point in time to capitalise on that opportunity.
"He went home for 12 months and we gave him a chance this year."

Round 1 vs Melbourne

An exciting debut by my boy, Carl...

8 kicks
9 handballs
6 marks
1 goal (after which he was mobbed by team-mates :) )
PetersenLadson_246b.jpg

5 Inside 50 entries

... including an initiation by Hodgey that affected his second half output...

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/91172/default.aspx

HAWTHORN debutant Carl Peterson might not remember everything about his first AFL match,...An errant bump from teammate Luke Hodge left Peterson dazed and also restricted his second-half output.

Clarko is as happy a camper as the rest of us...

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/91168/default.aspx

"He (Peterson) just took to it as if he'd been playing senior footy for a long period of time, so that's really exciting for us," Clarkson said.

"We've unearthed a guy who could play a lot of footy for us, we believe."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back