Retired 38. Ciarán Byrne - Officially Retires as at 15th October

Remove this Banner Ad

50172_08d79a42b72688c4773ee0986a113f5d.jpg

Don't let Immortal Tyrant anywhere near this photo with his captions...

Big unit.

Love the Josh Kennedy stutter with his set shot.

Geez, he looked massive. Didn't think he was that big. Maybe it was just in comparison to those around him. Seems to have a good pair of mitts on him. Agree with the above about the stutter. If it works, it works.

Docherty impresses
“I thought Ciaran was really good. Early he was running around without much purpose, which was to be expected given he’s playing his first ever game,” Webster said.

“But I thought he worked his way into the game really well. We wanted to give him that taste of 50 or 60 per cent game time and for him to kick a few goals was fantastic.

“He showed a few things that he could be a really good player for us at this level. For him to get that first match under his belt – it’s great to see.”
Docherty impresses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately Casey appears to being held back by his tendonitis. He has only managed to play every 2nd week so far. Hope he can get over that, as he certainly gets some scores on the board.

Byrne has showed himself to be a good athlete, courageous at the contest and has some very tricky manouvers.

He's easy on the eye when on the field, meaning that his general composure and run, draws your eye to him.

Played at full forward last week which really isn't his ideal position but he didn't come close to embarrassing himself. Interesting prospect.

Playing full forward with the NB's has always been hard going and probably even moreso for a 188cm guy that's only picked up the oval ball this year.
Even though he may not be getting a lot of the ball nor kicking multiple goals this kid is made of the right stuff.

It isn't prudent making wild forecasts given his back-ground but I'm just starting to get a little excited for what I'm seeing.
................watch this space.

At ground level he is a one grab player & he is quite mobile. He turned his opponent around a few times yesterday. His marking is a weakness at the moment, with him getting his hands to the ball in marking contests on a regular basis however the marks just aren't sticking at the moment. Obviously he is coming from a long way back with his footy smarts, no more evidenced than his shot on goal from 40m in the 1st quarter yesterday, when he could have ran all the way in to an open goal, with a teammate running beside him for protection.

I am quite bullish about Casey's prospects for the future.

The miracle man played a good game after a quick recovery from his ACL injury, the week before. :oops:
I'm happy to say (happy for me, that is) that I've communicated with someone else who was at the game and thought exactly the same thing.
Apparently only a corkie and Byrne was up and running at training on the following Wednesday.

It was the first week where Byrne was named in the best and that largely came about for him being thrown down back for a period of the game.
(Good luck playing a good game in the NB forward line)

Casey again showed some good moves and considerable dash.
He may not have been playing this game long but he's got some serious in-built smarts. Could be going places.

I think Casey could be something very special. As you have stated, he has some very good smarts for one so young & so new to the game. He has very good hands at ground level & his mobility will make him a difficult player to match up on in years to come. He also displays the right level of aggression needed to survive at AFL level.

2-3 years down the road Casey could be best 22 if developed well.

We had Watson up front this week and Casey played his second game in the back-line.
It's probably the most aggressive I've seen Byrne as he planted some good tackles and used his body well in close.

Again showed up enough to suggest he's more than worth hanging onto.
Even if wasn't an International recruit, one would be happy for his showings to date.

Another game and another step forward for Casey.

No idea as to how long players may spend in refining skills but Byrne's kicking has improved tenfold since the start of the year.
Ball drop is much better and he's not having to think it through. His kicking is now instinctive and looks natural even in the heat of traffic.

For the second week in a row he was one of our better players on the ground blending good defence with an attacking flair.

Seemingly spurred on by his countryman's promotion to the senior squad :), Casey stepped up just a little further again.

Can't sing the praises of this kid enough and even if we happen not to see him in the seniors for another couple of years, Byrne has too many tools to be ignored.
This guy doesn't take a backward step but just happened to be a little more aggressive again today.

Everything is pointing in the right direction for him right now and if he stays focused he could well become a serious X-Factor player for us, whether it be back or forward......watch out for him next year.

Could be.............Fyfesque

Remove this Banner Ad

Back