Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm.

Will keep an open mind, he did some ok things but... not sure about him.

Has limitations that might be inherent rather than due to lack of senior exposure. Just don't know.

Currently a weak link in the lineup. Hopefully whatever keeps the coaches faith in him alive shines through.

Jacobs is a better defender than any of them but is no better than a 60% efficiency guy. Will cause joy and pain. He will kill us in a game under severe pressure yet is a better defender than Mullett, who is his true head 2 head.

I feel more confident in Jacobs in a marking contest down back than any of JMac, LMac, Mullet or Atley. He can seriously read the ball in flight and seems to always get in the right position.

At the moment it is his decision making out of defence letting him down, not his disposal as such.

Give him the first 10 - 15 games of the year. An extended run to see how he fares. I think it's all down to experience and knowing when to back himself. He'll be right I think
Big no thanks to that. Ben's in the 25-30 range in the squad IMO with Adams, Mullett, Daw, and McKenzie. Too many players that can be trusted to play their role week in week out ahead of him. This year is just too important to risk results for the development of a player who could just as likely not have the mettle for the top league.

I feel more confident in Jacobs in a marking contest down back than any of JMac, LMac, Mullet or Atley. He can seriously read the ball in flight and seems to always get in the right position.

At the moment it is his decision making out of defence letting him down, not his disposal as such.

Disagree with Ats.

He's a gun 1v1 defender.

Definitely shouldn't get 10-15 games just to have a look at him. We are past that stage in our development - he might be unlucky as if around 4 years ago that would have happened, but surely not now.

Yeah he has shown positive signs and defends ok, but still looks a liability for mine. He will cost us goals if he stays down back.

Back in the 2s and wait for a midfield spot if one opens up which with injuries/suspensions/rest, is probable to do so.

Definitely shouldn't get 10-15 games just to have a look at him. We are past that stage in our development - he might be unlucky as if around 4 years ago that would have happened, but surely not now.

Yeah he has shown positive signs and defends ok, but still looks a liability for mine. He will cost us goals if he stays down back.

Back in the 2s and wait for a midfield spot if one opens up which with injuries/suspensions/rest, is probable to do so.

All our defenders do stupid s**t occasionally that costs us goals. Some of the good stuff Jacobs does certainly saves some as well. I suspect we'll play him on Betts round 1. Give him a good player to challenge him, but one that he had a bit of time on recently. If his decision making improves and he makes 1 or 2 better decisions a game with his disposal, IMO he'll be getting lauded.

We need a lockdown small defender. Warren isn't up to the task, Mcmahon doesn't have the physical attributes any more. Jacobs has a decent bit of pace, good strength and is a surprisingly good mark. He's almost there, in much the same way as Basti. Whereas Basti needs an attitude adjustment (may have seen the seeds of that last game!) Jacobs just needs to make decisions slightly faster and better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its funny you picked that up as it is something l have noticed with him as well. People don't always see it, but when he gets in front of the leading forward or running back with the flight just to spoil or get a touch on it, has done everytime he's played in defence.

All our defenders do stupid s**t occasionally that costs us goals. Some of the good stuff Jacobs does certainly saves some as well. I suspect we'll play him on Betts round 1. Give him a good player to challenge him, but one that he had a bit of time on recently. If his decision making improves and he makes 1 or 2 better decisions a game with his disposal, IMO he'll be getting lauded.

We need a lockdown small defender. Warren isn't up to the task, Mcmahon doesn't have the physical attributes any more. Jacobs has a decent bit of pace, good strength and is a surprisingly good mark. He's almost there, in much the same way as Basti. Whereas Basti needs an attitude adjustment (may have seen the seeds of that last game!) Jacobs just needs to make decisions slightly faster and better.

Fair enough in where you are coming from, but I don't think Jacobs plays round 1. We have a difficult squad to pick from and plenty of talented players amongst it.

We have a multitude of options for Betts and I don't think Jacobs is required just for this role. I think his decision making is worse than you are making out, and still has some way to go.

Plenty of the smaller fwds were covered by us last year, it was only occasionally certain players got away from us both big and small. Either way if he is selected that's ok, he has shown a bit in the NAB series.

Last edited:

Personally don't mind the match up of Jacobs on Betts. The question is who makes way for him in the 22? Would have be either Basti or perhaps Wood. Tough calls.

Personally don't mind the match up of Jacobs on Betts. The question is who makes way for him in the 22? Would have be either Basti or perhaps Wood. Tough calls.
Sub and if we're struggling with Betts, then bring jacobs on in the third for a tall and push atley into the midfield.

Not really a tough call on Jacobs for mine if we are keeping Wood out - simply would be the wrong call. We have a very solid back 6 with Spud/Atley/Wright/Macmillan/LMac all ahead of him for a flanker spot, plus we need at least two big guys as well, probably 3. Plus the NAB cup form is exactly that, it was late in a practice match so this beating Betts conclusion is overstated.

If we were picking off that alone then Petrie doesn't play, and so on. It has to be put into perspective, form yes but on prior deeds as well. He is a touch unlucky, but he will get his opportunities no doubt.

Went to ground at a bad time. And was again knocked off a kick when he appeared to have no awareness of what was around him.
But otherwise did a good job.
I'm still not sure what to make of him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back