Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to ground at a bad time. And was again knocked off a kick when he appeared to have no awareness of what was around him.
But otherwise did a good job.
I'm still not sure what to make of him!
He's a bit like every player in the league, bar a couple of out and out champions. They all make mistakes, they all have a bad game, we've got a team of them ...!

First quarter was terrible. Mental processes slower than treacle.

Pulled the finger out after quarter time and then impressed.

He needs to develop his quick decision making.

Not best 22 yet but could be if he works on that side of his game.

Finds the ball well, and does some nice things defensively. Also a long true left foot.

Credit where credit is due. I had gone cold on Jacobs.
But last night he was subbed in early and ran the game out really well.
Disposal is still hacky but he mopped up down back under great pressure all night.

First quarter was terrible. Mental processes slower than treacle.

Pulled the finger out after quarter time and then impressed.

He needs to develop his quick decision making.

Not best 22 yet but could be if he works on that side of his game.

Finds the ball well, and does some nice things defensively. Also a long true left foot.
He thinks/reacts too slowly for chess, let alone AFL.

I'm not going to lie, I like him. Without any bias at all though. His first quarter was poor, granted. Another contest v Matt White, he did everything right except fall to ground (though in saying that I'm positive he knew White was still 25 metres from goal and thus would run too far and we would get the free kick :p).

Apart from that, I thought he was great. Loved his one on one work and his ability to set up a lot of rebounding work. He glides around around the field and has a legitimate penetrating kick.

If he gets his head right, something a game like that can help with, he will be weapon down back. I have a lot more confidence in his kicks hitting targets than the likes of (and I hate to say it, because these blokes should be our A graders) Atley and LMac.

I'm not going to lie, I like him. Without any bias at all though. His first quarter was poor, granted. Another contest v Matt White, he did everything right except fall to ground (though in saying that I'm positive he knew White was still 25 metres from goal and thus would run too far and we would get the free kick :p).

Apart from that, I thought he was great. Loved his one on one work and his ability to set up a lot of rebounding work. He glides around around the field and has a legitimate penetrating kick.

If he gets his head right, something a game like that can help with, he will be weapon down back. I have a lot more confidence in his kicks hitting targets than the likes of (and I hate to say it, because these blokes should be our A graders) Atley and LMac.
A bit of waxing with him and LMac too.

One of his better games for us no doubt (one of very few), but he still would be first out for me if Wells and Dal Santo were fit to play.

He is just so slow by foot and mind, and most of his possessions aren't damaging.

Might get an extended chance now so hopefully he can reward the faith and keep improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will get better with more game time and confidence. One thing I'd like him to do is not turn back into play when he is on his left side. Often does that and puts himself into trouble as he is quite one sided.

Has the occasional shocker in terms of decision or disposal, but he has a bloody crack. Does a lot of good things, and knows how to rack up disposals even when he's not in the guts.

I'm not sure where you draw the line in terms of his long term future though. Can he fix the occasional brainfade, improve his awareness, and speed up his decision making?

50 game player now, and he isn't that young. As it stands right now I'd be persisting with him, but it's hard to tell how much better he can get.

Has the occasional shocker in terms of decision or disposal, but he has a bloody crack. Does a lot of good things, and knows how to rack up disposals even when he's not in the guts.

I'm not sure where you draw the line in terms of his long term future though. Can he fix the occasional brainfade, improve his awareness, and speed up his decision making?

50 game player now, and he isn't that young. As it stands right now I'd be persisting with him, but it's hard to tell how much better he can get.
Really Devington ??? Not having a crack at you, but the kid has played 50 games with barely an opportunity to get an continuity. Surely we wait till the 80-100 game mark like everyone else is afforded to see if he is gunna be a star. Sammy Wright says hi. BJ could be anything. Boom or bust, maybe, but he's got some balls. Hard to teach blokes to have a crack at the tougher option. I don't mind him.

Really Devington ??? Not having a crack at you, but the kid has played 50 games with barely an opportunity to get an continuity. Surely we wait till the 80-100 game mark like everyone else is afforded to see if he is gunna be a star. Sammy Wright says hi. BJ could be anything. Boom or bust, maybe, but he's got some balls. Hard to teach blokes to have a crack at the tougher option. I don't mind him.

I quite like him. He has some great physical attributes for a footballer, has a good leg on him, can take a solid mark, and knows how to find the football. I agree that he has a huge amount of upside, but there are a few persistent problems with his game. I'm not sure how much (if any) is confidence based, and how much of it is simply him being him. I was happy we retained him on a one year contract, and would be happy for us to give him another extension any day now (assuming we lose some or all of Loose, Petrie, McKenzie, Firrito, Currie or others).

I don't think I'm blowing smoke up his arse when I say he has the potential to be elite. But realistically a lot of players never reach their potential. It just comes down to whether he can correct the deficiencies he has. He has shown some improvement, which makes me hope here is room for more, but you never know for sure with these things

I am a huge fan of BJ but I think he knows his AFL career is on the line this year and he is doing everything possible to extend it. If he keeps doing what he did today, he stays :)

When the game was in the balance third quarter i think the ball was in the centre and Geelong was ready to take of when Jacobs picked the ball up with one hand and we went forward it was great to see him grow in confidence.
His career so far is reminding me of when Greenwood was a fringe player and dominating VFL and trying to find his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back