Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting stat, was a very good kick in the juniors and his technique looks good but surprised at 2nd best kick in our team for the year.
Who was rated by champion data as our best kick?
Harvey as always.

Was the best kick of the top 200 in the comp like most years they have been rating kicks.

Harvey as always.

Was the best kick of the top 200 in the comp like most years they have been rating kicks.
That is seriously amazing. Aren't players supposed to slow down when they hit 30, let alone 36? He could seriously player 2-3 more seasons if his desire remains, and that shouldn't be a problem because every interview he's given he's said he's just as excited about turning up to training now as he was when he was first drafted.

That is seriously amazing. Aren't players supposed to slow down when they hit 30, let alone 36? He could seriously player 2-3 more seasons if his desire remains, and that shouldn't be a problem because every interview he's given he's said he's just as excited about turning up to training now as he was when he was first drafted.

Reckon 2-3 years is a conservative estimate. He has a lot left in him.

There is no doubt he has enough going for him to become a fine AFL player but he's got to get on with it this year. I sort of feel like he needs to start the season well, a bad game might really hurt his confidence. He'd probably be better off starting the season in the VFL, let him put a good bunch of games together and hopefully he'll dominate like last year. I'd leave him there longer (injuries permitting) and get him to the point where he's alomst shitty that he's not getting a game, then give him a crack.
It's a massive year for Jacobs and I really hope he can deliver on his talent.

There is no doubt he has enough going for him to become a fine AFL player but he's got to get on with it this year. I sort of feel like he needs to start the season well, a bad game might really hurt his confidence. He'd probably be better off starting the season in the VFL, let him put a good bunch of games together and hopefully he'll dominate like last year. I'd leave him there longer (injuries permitting) and get him to the point where he's alomst shitty that he's not getting a game, then give him a crack.
It's a massive year for Jacobs and I really hope he can deliver on his talent.
Question is where do we put him. Necessity meant he was in defence last season, but inside mid is he better and preferred position, but there's too many players for both positions.

I was encouraged by this news of him being one of the better kicks of the footy.

Would rather Bastinac take that role. He's a far better rover.
Depth is nice. I'll say he'll take Levi's spot, then jamcovs with runs on the board and then froggy. Froggy can spend one more season in the 2's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed

I don't think Basti has the body to take the Knocks of an inside mid. He's got the moves though

Niether does Wellsy. Still has great inside skills which allow him to read the ball ahead of everyone else.

Certainly wont be monstering anyone Ziebell-style though.

Agreed

I don't think Basti has the body to take the Knocks of an inside mid. He's got the moves though

Agree. Long term he might be able to, but for now shorter stints would have to do. Jacobs appears very solidly built with a body type that will absorb hits.

Basti and Jacobs to switch between wingman and inside with each other. Jacobs showed by shutting down Isaac Smith last season that he can play on the outside alright.

Bastinac would be ahead of the other two at this stage.

Greenwood moved ahead of Bastinac last year and when we were at full strength in the middle come finals Bastinac was the sub. Bastinac is the obvious replacement in the 21 with him, Dal and Wells spending time inside and out. Greenwood spent time in and out and even as a tagging forward in the finals. I don't think Greenwoods replacement will be a full time inside mid as we can spread it with these guys and the starters Cunners, Spitta and Jack.

Backing back with eyes on the footy and committed to spoiling it and gets smashed by Waite. This is why l believe we should persist with him. Becoming more vocal as reported will hold him in good stead and shows confidence is high for him.

Backing back with eyes on the footy and committed to spoiling it and gets smashed by Waite. This is why l believe we should persist with him. Becoming more vocal as reported will hold him in good stead and shows confidence is high for him.
Yeah I was down at training today and saw this. We winced in sympathy for the guy. Brave as ****. Winded him for a good minute or so but was then back up again in the heat competing. Very brave and with efforts like that he is going to push for a position. At least he's showing the coaching staff that he really wants it.

From what I've heard he is being more vocal, becoming more comfortable and is no longer that shy character he was in his first 2 years at the club.

From what I've heard he is being more vocal, becoming more comfortable and is no longer that shy character he was in his first 2 years at the club.

Or his first however many years at Port Adelaide, where from all reports he was exceptionally timid.

I just hope it doesn't all fall into place for Ben too late, and he comes out of his shell at a time where he can't crack the team and is delisted as a result. I absolutely think he has a part to play in this side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back