Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't misplace legitimate questions over his future and ability with "hate".

It would be great if all our players made it and became quality, sadly that is not reality.
I'm not running or hiding from reality. There is a reason each and every of the 10 Victorian clubs went after him when he left Port, luckily he chose us and I truly believe Ben will repay the faith and time shown in him in a big way.

Played really well, knows how to shut down opponents, i.e. Betts in the last and Smith last year, intensity was excellent and used the footy really well. Will make it this year and loves the club and its players to bits.
Agreed, was one of our better players last week.
Rate him highly and like his versatility

I'm not running or hiding from reality. There is a reason each and every of the 10 Victorian clubs went after him when he left Port, luckily he chose us and I truly believe Ben will repay the faith and time shown in him in a big way.

All fine. But if supporters question his spot it's not "hate".

Use a better word next time as it's just not the case.

No one would wish him other than the best so to suggest people hate him is just plain wrong.

All fine. But if supporters question his spot it's not "hate".

Use a better word next time as it's just not the case.

No one would wish him other than the best so to suggest people hate him is just plain wrong.
In his defence, some posters are a bit more... vitriolic than others. Moreso during gameday threads than here though.

Fair enough ^^.

It's great he showed a bit in praccy game with little pressure.

Until he shows he can perform (rather than just melt) when under serious heat, I'll continue to question his place in the team.

Fair enough ^^.

It's great he showed a bit in praccy game with little pressure.

Until he shows he can perform (rather than just melt) when under serious heat, I'll continue to question his place in the team.

I agree with you, however he has shown glimpses of being able to "handle the heat".

He deserves more chances to prove himself, think about how long it took for Sam Wright to find himself, now everyone's his biggest fan.

Sitting on his a** v Sydney still haunts me, however I'm a strong believer in improvement and some players just need more time...

My biggest concern with Ben is the amount of time he spends arranging his hair before the ball arrives.

This shows that he is either nervous or not thinking about the task at hand.

New stat for the year, Ben Jacobs' hair wipe.
How many wipes per game? I'm tipping 80-100.

Has anyone else noticed this?

My biggest concern with Ben is the amount of time he spends arranging his hair before the ball arrives.

Sharpova does the same thing, its probably just a ritual to get into the right mind frame, who knows, Lachie looks like he's in fairy land before the ball is back in play.

Kangalotto will sort out that problem.

You're right. Guns like Ablett, Judd and Cunnington NEVER do it.

Get it out of your game son

You never fail to amuse me mate! Ha. Keep it up.

I hadn't noticed that, but he does come across as a pretty boy so will keep an eye out in future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is exactly what we've been chatting here about Ben, this lad can play but there's this little man in his head , that says the negative things all the time......."I’m fighting to hold down a spot there, that’s my goal to try and play a full season – that’s my big challenge this year.”

Hopefully I can play on a diverse range of players this year – tall and small – and back myself in one-on-one contests,” Jacobs said.

When I read this it just screams uncertainty about him ............ send him to Rudi Webster. He need a session or ten with him.

This is exactly what we've been chatting here about Ben, this lad can play but there's this little man in his head , that says the negative things all the time......."I’m fighting to hold down a spot there, that’s my goal to try and play a full season – that’s my big challenge this year.”

Hopefully I can play on a diverse range of players this year – tall and small – and back myself in one-on-one contests,” Jacobs said.

When I read this it just screams uncertainty about him ............ send him to Rudi Webster. He need a session or ten with him.

Really Ozzy? Would have just thought he is being honest, and it's a realistic assessment of where he's at.

I actually think it's a positive rather a negative he is aware of what needs to be done.

I like Ben's attitude. The club is obviously looking at other options to fill Levi's role (Basti/Dumont) and Jacobs is doing whatever he can to get in the team. He's preformed well when given the chance across half back, and he creates more options when it comes to midfield rotations.

I think he'll have a good year and will be rewarded with a new contract.

I like Jacobs quite a lot actually, and was really pleased to hear about how he was more vocal during the pre season, as I (like a lot of others) get the impression that he's a bit of an oddn, who struggles to fit in, and has confidence issues.

He has some fantastic physical attributes, and if he manages to overcome his mental hurdles then that's awesome for him and us. I didn't notice it much myself but others have said he did a good job on Betts in the last quarter. It's really heartening to hear, and hopefully he has the confidence to do that round 1, as it will free Thompson up to play tall or intercept.

Was really happy he got another contract. If he manages to lift the floor of his abilities up, then I'm confident he'll get another contract with us, because I suspect he has an elite level ceiling.

Really Ozzy? Would have just thought he is being honest, and it's a realistic assessment of where he's at.

I actually think it's a positive rather a negative he is aware of what needs to be done.
Dont get me wrong I like the lad.......Im a fan. but don't you get a feeling that he doesn't take those Cristiano Ronaldo pills? Self belief goes a long way and many here also feel that half his problem is in his head.

Dont get me wrong I like the lad.......Im a fan. but don't you get a feeling that he doesn't take those Cristiano Ronaldo pills? Self belief goes a long way and many here also feel that half his problem is in his head.

Yeah I know what you mean. He does seem meek too often. I guess for me if he says more though it could be misplaced arrogance and would look worse....

So for mine he is realistic and been advised by club what he needs to achieve. I like that, but yep, I can see what you mean also.

Chad Wingard does it as well. Did it right before taking a speccy too, if my memory is up to scratch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back