Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Why couldn't a player at Stantons age with his proven durability not get a two
year contract
Because even though he is a solid and good player, there is a high chance that if the team is at full strength then one of the second tier could jump him. Fantasia alone has a real shot he if he finds consistency. In a strong team you can be a good player and still be jumped by an exciting kid... It's not that complicated really. Plus, at Stantons age, if he loses any more acceleration then he will be really exposed for pace. Year by year makes perfect sense to me.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Why couldn't a player at Stantons age with his proven durability not get a two
year contract
I dare say the club took advantage of the love Stanton has for the club and his unwillingness to leave. Accepting only a one year deal was idiotic on Stanton's part but hey it's his choice. If clubs outside of Essendon were not offering 2 year deals that only goes to show how dumb football clubs can be when it comes to this kind of stuff

I dare say the club took advantage of the love Stanton has for the club and his unwillingness to leave. Accepting only a one year deal was idiotic on Stanton's part but hey it's his choice. If clubs outside of Essendon were not offering 2 year deals that only goes to show how dumb football clubs can be when it comes to this kind of stuff

Possibly Stanton wasn't offered a two or three year contract at another club ! Reckon Stanton is no certainty to play round 1.

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ

No. It doesn't show how dumb the other 17 clubs are.

It's a reflection of what the rest of the footy world thinks of him as a player of value.

I'd dare say Stanton himself knows his strengths and weaknesses and is quite happy with the one year deal.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Stanton have been a top 10 player at the club for the last 5 years.

He does get the fumbles, but at least he finds the ball and runs at super speeds to space and position, he can also kick goals..

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
No - Bird can play inside and outside - We have enough inside midfielders who make our midfield a touch one-paced - So we need to make sure we have enough speed on the outside - No point playing Stanton ( who struggled to get a contract ) if we want to go forward.

Struggled to get a contract?? Are you serious? He was always offered a one year deal from Essendon. WCE (and apparently another club) offered him 2 year deals with more $$$. The reason why it dragged a bit was Stants had to choose between loyality to the dons and more money. He did right by us.

Also Stanton's role in the side is a link man. He runs up and down the wing creating options. Bird is an inside mid who can pitch hit forward. There is NO way we will see Bird replace Stanton...

Gee.:drunk:

Struggled to get a contract?? Are you serious? He was always offered a one year deal from Essendon. WCE (and apparently another club) offered him 2 year deals with more $$$. The reason why it dragged a bit was Stants had to choose between loyality to the dons and more money. He did right by us.

Also Stanton's role in the side is a link man. He runs up and down the wing creating options. Bird is an inside mid who can pitch hit forward. There is NO way we will see Bird replace Stanton...

Gee.:drunk:

When the club offers you a one year contract at Stanton's age combined with his durability, then you have struggled to get a contract - I don't see how you could read it any other way - For heaven's sake, Pears was offered a one year contract.

Other's can do Stanton's role - I expect the midfield to be modified with the addition of new players.

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
When the club offers you a one year contract at Stanton's age combined with his durability, then you have struggled to get a contract - I don't see how you could read it any other way - For heaven's sake, Pears was offered a one year contract.

Other's can do Stanton's role - I expect the midfield to be modified with the addition of new players.

Stanton was always staying at Essendon. He was willing to accept a bigger salary in 2016 if a big recruit couldn't be landed (we didn't land a high priced recruit eg over 500k). If you've got a loyal player like Stanton willing to work with the salary cap to open up space to bring in good talent you do it. This is what is happening here.

Stanton was always staying at Essendon. He was willing to accept a bigger salary in 2016 if a big recruit couldn't be landed (we didn't land a high priced recruit eg over 500k). If you've got a loyal player like Stanton willing to work with the salary cap to open up space to bring in good talent you do it. This is what is happening here.

I never stated Stanton would leave EFC - I merely observed that a player of Stanton's standing shouldn't be uncontracted in October 2015 - And he should be offered more than one year. I suspect Stanton is no certainty to be at EFC in 2017.

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
I never stated Stanton would leave EFC - I merely observed that a player of Stanton's standing shouldn't be uncontracted in October 2015 - And he should be offered more than one year. I suspect Stanton is no certainty to be at EFC in 2017.

Stanton and club waited to see what happened with free agency and trading before locking in his salary. He was happy to vary his salary around to work with recruiting some good talent in. That's why it was signed off late and I'd expect Stanton to be a certainty on the list in 2017

mayhem20202

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2007
Sale, Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United
No - Bird can play inside and outside - We have enough inside midfielders who make our midfield a touch one-paced - So we need to make sure we have enough speed on the outside - No point playing Stanton ( who struggled to get a contract ) if we want to go forward.
I think you'll find they were haggling over terms, rather than struggling to get a contract

Sep 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Stanton was offered a one year deal in July. Pears was offered a one year deal after trade week. Completely different.

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Stanton was offered a one year deal in July. Pears was offered a one year deal after trade week. Completely different.

Not really that different.

The perceived value of the player is the issue.

Bark Maguley

All Australian
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Counter Logic Gaming
removed from leadership group?? harsh seeing he recently captained the team

Back