Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

If Stanton stays, what role does he play?

He surely can't keep doing what he has been over the last 24 months - as there are young guys almost at a standard where they will go past him for an outside running role in 2016.

3 games a year at 30 possessions doesn't make him a stand out player - it makes him a guy with potential. Someone who's played 200+ games with potential is a dangerous concept for any team, as lack of consistency means you always have to incorporate a plan B for the player.

As much as Brent is lauded for his tank, has the time come for him to hold down more of a dedicated role? Can anyone see him in the third forward spot, taking over the Ambrose position?
He's pretty good forward in that he knows where to get into space, pushes up and down the ground like a good HFF, and is a great kick.
But i also think Goddard is better for this role as he is better in the air
Stanton in the Cross/Boyd role off the HBF works for me

nothing has been announced yet

I get the feeling the club has delayed Stanton contract waiting to see if they could land a coup and sign a gun player. If for example securing Dangerfield was reliant on clearing some salary cap space then guys like Stanton could be squeezed out.

We're getting Dangerfield..awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can Norf bring to the table?

Also; next year we have a tighter I/C cap. Players with the aerobic capacity of Stants will be vital.

But but but..he has no pace. At all.

That's not good.

The mythical Stanton gut running. Only evident in pre season time trials.

Oh it's no myth. Stanton has the tank of a Sam Mitchell and can run all day.

He's our Sam Mitchell!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back