Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Trade Stanton - He's a free Agent - Has their been any moves to resign Stanton.

No talk at the moment of another contract.

Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Runs all day, not many of our other mids do and dont have the biggest/best tanks ie: Heppell, Watson, Myers, Cooney, Goddard ect so he has something that we need.If we still look slow with Cooney, Colyer, Dempsey all firing then ill be looking at Stanton, Hocking ect to add some speed to the lineup
Watson and Heppell especially have big tanks. They run out games better than Stanton.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Watson and Heppell especially have big tanks. They run out games better than Stanton.
Must admit Heppells developing a pretty good tank.

Ive never seen Watson finish too well in our longer time trails ect, maybe its just an inside will/heart that he has to keep going.

I think Stanton would cover more ground than any player we have on the field, dont have the gps stats but ... id have my money on him.

Heppell sits around the 7-12th mark in the longer time trials ect doesnt he?

Must admit Heppells developing a pretty good tank.

Ive never seen Watson finish too well in our longer time trails ect, maybe its just an inside will/heart that he has to keep going.

I think Stanton would cover more ground than any player we have on the field, dont have the gps stats but ... id have my money on him.

Heppell sits around the 7-12th mark in the longer time trials ect doesnt he?

Endurance is being able to do it week out and week out - Time trials often don't = endurance on the field.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Endurance is being able to do it week out and week out - Time trials often don't = endurance on the field.
Its those massive quads that allow Watson to get up and down off the ground effortlessly. They don't translate to running necessarily.

Stanton is still best 22 and deserves the chance to show what he's got when surrounded with the likes of Cooney and Colyer. He might be a perfect fit. If not then he is awesome depth and could be vital for us in that role...

Once again the debate depends on how you define endurance. You can be a very good endurance athlete (run long distances) but not be able to perform week in week out on the field because its a different type of fatigue/recovery needed.

For what its worth id say Stanton is both, He is consistent most of the year and single handidly dragged us back into a few games in the last quarter last season when no one else wanted to run.

I want him to finish his career with us.

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Knew this would happen :D

How many supporters here would say no to a late teens or early 20's pick in exchange for Stanton?

How many supporters here would say no to a late teens or early 20's pick in exchange for Stanton?
Me. You don't trade a heart and soul member of your club. The vice captain of the club for years and years, no less.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
EVERY ******* YEAR...
This year is different though isn't it? Who's spot does a rampant Gleeson/Jackson take if not Stanton? Hocking instead? There are no easy answers.

You could role the dice on that, but i would give him one more year with faster players around him. On paper, having an endurance runner with the mix we already have looks great.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Our best 22 will be one of if not the oldest crop of players this year. James and the team have decided to throw everything at a small window which might not end up being there but they all know its the last year of Fletcher, Winderlich and Chapman with several other ageing players. If they cant get the desired result this year then it will be because the players arent good enough and some will have to be strongly considered to be moved on, Stanton probably is one of those players.

It will depend how much lack of speed is a factor this year. If it is a major factor to not succeeding then guys like Stanton, Hocking come under pressure.

The good thing is we have some talented players waiting on the fringe, could Jackson Merrett become better value off a wing than Stanton.

Every f*cking year, I swear to all that is James Hird...

Stanton is one of the most faithful servants that this club has ever had, and the suggestions to trade him, are, frankly, laughable.

At one point I'm just gonna instantly red card people who suggest this s**t. Bugger me.

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Seeing this from a purely hypothetical list management view. So I'm not sure why people are getting worked up over it.

Seeing this from a purely hypothetical list management view. So I'm not sure why people are getting worked up over it.

Maybe because the season hasn't even started yet.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

If it was via free agency, absolutely. I like the parting of ways for mutual benefit that can occur.

Would not like to end up with him being shopped around on the trade table though.

Every f*cking year, I swear to all that is James Hird...

Stanton is one of the most faithful servants that this club has ever had, and the suggestions to trade him, are, frankly, laughable.

At one point I'm just gonna instantly red card people who suggest this s**t. Bugger me.

One day the guy is going to win us a final or a flag and I want all the people who wanted him traded to be tagged in this thread.

Hopefully this occurs this year.

Hasn't fired a shot in the second half of the year for 3 years.

Looks like he's wearing bricks for boots. Think its an age and body thing. Just can't handle the buffeting for 22 rounds.
stant.jpg

Kelvin is correct - Stanton's second half of seasons is nowhere as good as his first half of season - It's been an issue for three years - For some reason his body gives up.
There is a difference between not firing a shot at all and dropping off though.

No doubting he's dropped off in the second half of the past three seasons. But not fired a shot is harsh.

Kelvin is correct - Stanton's second half of seasons is nowhere as good as his first half of season - It's been an issue for three years - For some reason his body gives up.

Wouldnt happen to have anything to do with the entire team dropping dead in the back end of seasons?
Or we just gonna blame it all on stanton? I assume thats what time of year we are in. I guess this type of discussion beats worrying about drugs

There is a difference between not firing a shot at all and dropping off though.

No doubting he's dropped off in the second half of the past three seasons. But not fired a shot is harsh.
Firing a shot is an exaggeration - Anyway I will compile a list of footy myths during the course of the year - That are perpetuated by the media.

Back