Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Like a bigger, stronger, more explosive Dustin Martin is my best guess.
A little ambitious. If he's as good as Martin I will be absolutely stoked. Martin is the best one on one player in the league, is a good ball user, gets plenty of it in the midfield and goes forward and kicks goals. If Petracca becomes better than him he'll be an all time great of the club.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
A little ambitious. If he's as good as Martin I will be absolutely stoked. Martin is the best one on one player in the league, is a good ball user, gets plenty of it in the midfield and goes forward and kicks goals. If Petracca becomes better than him he'll be an all time great of the club.
Fyfe probably has Dusty covered in the one on ones...

Just a pain Petracca did his knee, as his only real knock was his lack of tank coming into the draft. Hopefully he can smash out a fair bit of running in the offseason and come into the preseason ready to kill it.

Fyfe probably has Dusty covered in the one on ones...

Just a pain Petracca did his knee, as his only real knock was his lack of tank coming into the draft. Hopefully he can smash out a fair bit of running in the offseason and come into the preseason ready to kill it.
Will be fitter, less direct high draft pick scrutiny. After seeing Hogan this year I can only be excited about how Petracca will go having not played this year.

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
:eek::eek::eek:
That guy dwarfs Petracca

1zxr68x.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looking thick, solid, tight in the training series they have on him on the MFC site. :thumbsu:

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
More a combination of Ablett, Carey, Cox and Judd with just a hint of Dangerfield.
Geez, it'll suck if he's all those things but has dodgy knees that don't let him play...

Seriously though - does anyone know the likelihood of being a powerful/fast/muscular midfielder after having a knee reco? Just seems so vulnerable to me. Are there any other players of similar playing style and physique who had a knee reco with no further issues and played 10 years with no ill-effects from the reco?

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Geez, it'll suck if he's all those things but has dodgy knees that don't let him play...

Seriously though - does anyone know the likelihood of being a powerful/fast/muscular midfielder after having a knee reco? Just seems so vulnerable to me. Are there any other players of similar playing style and physique who had a knee reach with no further issues and played 10 years with no ill-effects from the reach?

Robbie Gray went AA a year after one of the worst knee injuries youd ever see, I think modern medicine allows you to return to your explosive best, the scary thing is how small an incident it was that cause it and maybe he just has that sort of body
After seeing Dan Menzel come back from 4 and still be able to take a hanger and slot 4 means im confident truck will be fine

Robbie Gray went AA a year after one of the worst knee injuries youd ever see, I think modern medicine allows you to return to your explosive best, the scary thing is how small an incident it was that cause it and maybe he just has that sort of body
After seeing Dan Menzel come back from 4 and still be able to take a hanger and slot 4 means im confident truck will be fine
Petracca for AA 2016 confirmed.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne

Taylor Walker is another great example, he did a really bad ACL too.

IIRC Petracca's ACL was about as 'good' as it could be?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wouldn't worry about Petraccas knee, Walker and Gray are proof that power players can come back fine from a knee. This will sound ridiculous but in a way a knee is better than a hamstring injury in that if you ping a hammy once the likelihood you will do it again goes up dramatically.

From all reports Petracca's ACL was, like rhaz said, about as nondamaging as an ACL can be. IIRC he got back into weights training incredibly quickly, and what he's doing now seems ridiculously intense.

Decimation

Team Captain
May 27, 2015
Bunbury W.A.
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
From all reports Petracca's ACL was, like rhaz said, about as nondamaging as an ACL can be. IIRC he got back into weights training incredibly quickly, and what he's doing now seems ridiculously intense.

Thing is though, there really isn't a bad or good tear of the ACL. Sure, you can damage other parts of the knee like the meniscus/patella while doing it. But the surgery is still the same regardless.

RatherHaveABeer

Senior List
Sep 3, 2007
The Shire (Bag End)
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Donga Doggies
Not sure if you guys saw the banter between Danger and Trac on a photo he uploaded at a baseball game this morning (and has since deleted).

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 95
Not sure if you guys saw the banter between Danger and Trac on a photo he uploaded at a baseball game this morning (and has since deleted).
Wonder why he deleted it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back