Jimmy Toumpas - traded to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd argue wasting a top 4 pick after only 3 years is more costly then one spot on the list.

The pick was wasted three years ago. Given we haven't pumped games into him to artificially boost his trade value, he was either getting delisted or a new contract. If he signs, we'll see how he goes next year, but I'd imagine Petracca and Trengove will be ahead of him, plus anyone else we bring into the joint. Could end up being another list clogger in the next few years.

I'm so confused.

On one hand I'm happy the club showed faith in him, and I still believe that he can come good.

On the other hand, if he doesn't show anything in the next year his trade value is zero, and I kind of thing he's got some value now (whatever that is).

He's shown glimpses of ability but most of the time he just runs around aimlessly trying not to s**t his pants.

He isn't even impressing at Casey according to reports. Barely impacting although I think he got KO'ed three weeks ago. But has not been in there best and can't get into our first following 3 very poor efforts. What is the source of this 2 year deal?
The last time he played for Casey he picked up 14 or 17 disposals in a half, didn't he? Pretty sure he's been injured since.

The last time he played for Casey he picked up 14 or 17 disposals in a half, didn't he? Pretty sure he's been injured since.

Don't worry, will have plenty of opportunities to impress at Casey next year.

2 years is an alright deal, gives the toump time to develop but it also gives a timeframe because in 2 years time and he hasn't made any in roads he is gone

I suppose good quality run-with players that can deliver the ball well are worth a gamble, so hopefully this means there is some potential for him to be that player.

I would of thought a years extension would do, hope he transforms over the off-season.

"some guys are playing for their careers out there" says the club, then goes away and gives toumpas a new contract.

Toump!

Pretty ambivalent about this to be honest; I wouldn't call it a bad move either way. He's been overwhelmed and underwhelming for the most part so far. Having said that, he does have a footy brain and good kicking technique. If he can develop some bloody composure/confidence, he may make it.

#riseofthetoump

If he can develop some bloody composure/confidence, he may make it.

This is the key for me. The faithful may (choose to?) overlook it, but I wouldn't expect a 15 year old kid to soil his britches the way Toumpas has done numerous times when under pressure. He's starting from a long way back in the composure stakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is what it is, I honestly dont care either way (that will more than likely changing when he's stinking it up next year)

The story will still have the same ending, it just goes a little bit longer than i anticipated.

Maybe he needs some Cesar Milan style training
Is he the dog guy or am I thinking of someone else? Or is he the weird guy with the horrible tattoos that bonds with psycho cats and moves the litter tray in order to save a couples relationship?

Is he the dog guy or am I thinking of someone else? Or is he the weird guy with the horrible tattoos that bonds with psycho cats and moves the litter tray in order to save a couples relationship?

Yeah the mexican dog guy who makes pssssst noises at the animals till they calm down

Yeah the mexican dog guy who makes pssssst noises at the animals till they calm down
Brilliant idea! The idea of the senior players circling the Toump making pssssst noises has given me something to look forward to for 2016

He hasn't been bad in our last 3 games haven't seen 1 error
Sure, but he doesn't stand out at that level like others do.

He has 0 pace as well. One thing we sorely lack in our outside players. He can't win his own ball, and is then slow both with his decision making and his movement. I want him to come good like the rest of you, but what would that look like?

I can't think of a decent afl player that his 'finished product' would be like. His body isn't that suited to our style, he has no pace so cant really make space for himself, he rarely kicks goals, cant really mark or go third man up, gets injured often. He can kick, which is something we definitely need so that's cool I guess, but I don't think even his finished product is enough unless he develops something else. I think that's why he doesn't stand out even as much as run-of-the-mills such as Bail, M JOnes etc do

Last edited:
You missed the joke
That's what I thought, but I didn't say so because I was worried that Djcjdees had made a really subtle but clever joke in response that I missed.

Can someone explain to me what Toumpas' weapon is? Good players have at least one area of the game where they are stand out. I don't see any area where he can aspire to be more than average.

Can someone explain to me what Toumpas' weapon is? Good players have at least one area of the game where they are stand out. I don't see any area where he can aspire to be more than average.
Its not exactly the answer you are looking for, but he is cheaper than Dawes and doesn't get photographed with any ugly, squashy face dogs. I'm rating those as weapons because I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back