Jimmy Toumpas - traded to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I think for most it's tongue and cheek, same as the guys saying "poor guy" for having to go to Port, as if Melbourne are much of a prize pig. I don't know much about Wines though before we knew Toumpas was coming to us a lot of us were pretty happy to take wines who is best mates with viney, grew up barracking for the dees and is an absolute hard nut. I hope he's good for Port. I don't like it when people say things like "hopefully he gets homesick in a couple of years" sure it could be good for us but it's not fair on the club or the supporters. The only exception are GWS and the Gold Coast, I couldn't care less about their players wanting to go home, they've got enough concessions.

Just wondering, why didn't you guys want wines at the dogs? Just a bit of tongue in cheek sort of thing or something deeper than that? You reckon he'll want to head back to vic when his contracts up to play with/near viney, but if the dogs had taken him, he mightn't have cared who he plays for just as long as he can hang out with his best mate? Or am I thinking too deep into it and you blokes just think we're s**t house and he wouldn't want to play for us.. Haha.

I would have loved Wines at the Dogs. I think he would have been a great fit there - and I say this with no animosity - I think Footscray are going to end up regretting passing on him for Macrae.

I would have loved Wines at the Dogs. I think he would have been a great fit there - and I say this with no animosity - I think Footscray are going to end up regretting passing on him for Macrae.

The last thing our midfield needs is another young pure inside mid. Especially after we took Hrovat.

Feel he will end up at the Dee's in a couple of years anyway.
I don't really understand this comment. Why wouldn't he take the same attitude Jack Viney did when asked what he would do if Melbourne failed to draft him? He basically said, "I would make sure they regret it". Now if Wines is as similar and Viney as everybody says, I would expect him to not only never come to us, but to save his very best performances for games against us. Once you play for a club, it's stronger than who you supported as a kid.

I reckon us mods will have to start swinging the banzhammer regarding all this talk of Wines inevitably wanting to come home in two years. It's been five days and I'm already sick of it... Imagine the talk for the next two years!

I reckon us mods will have to start swinging the banzhammer regarding all this talk of Wines inevitably wanting to come home in two years. It's been five days and I'm already sick of it... Imagine the talk for the next two years!

Only our board could turn a welcome thread into a discussion about another player... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already!

Extended the minimum two year draftee contract by one year until the end of 2015.

OUTSTANDING young Demon Jimmy Toumpas has added a further season to his initial two year contract, which will now see him play in the red and blue until at least 2015.

Toumpas, who was Melbourne’s first pick in last year’s NAB AFL Draft (No. 4 overall), will play his first official match for the club in Friday night’s NAB Cup opener against North Melbourne and Richmond at Etihad Stadium.

General manager of list management Tim Harrington said the club was delighted to secure Toumpas for three years.

Read More

Not sure if this was thread-worthy but it's good to hear some unadulterated positive news and I'm just excited for tonight!

Thanks for showing faith in the club Jimmy, and it's great that the club has moved to lock Jimmy down for an extra year :)

Absolutely thread worthy! Great news for the club on the eve of the season getting under way. Have even more love for the man now! :thumbsu:

Just extended my love for Toumpas.. Good team men, make great teams. Trenners was the first to show faith now Toumps, love it!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back