5 reasons why you support your club

Remove this Banner Ad

Bah you all hate yourself. Real reason, all filling the void of lack of pure or true religion. So the ritual becomes patriotism to a team or state from which that segregation creates a distance in the mind, creating defensive insecurities over possible lack which promote people to disrespect another.
Or you support Freo because you like Purple, Adelaide because you like fruitloops. Essendon because you like planes and so on.
All good common sense stuff.

1: Liked the Team beating up on the Brown & Yellow Team in 89 GF - This is when I started barracking for Cats.
2: Gary Ablett Senior - This is why I continued to barrack for Cats
3: 1992 Season - breaking all scoring records (disregard GF) - another reason to keep barracking for them
4: Were one of the best teams for 89 - 95 and always in it - just never won it - as above
5: Stubboness. Would never change team just cos they lost a few measly GF's (boo hoo). - as above again.
6: The Jumper and Colours.....oh yeah.

Loving reading peoples differernt reasons. My 7yo Son chooses a diff team every day depending on who he is talking to. He basically chooses the opposite to that person to try and annoy them. Im actually not that fussed by him choosing who he wants. Just moreso that hes into footy. By 10 though, he will choose and stick with it.

That one about nick Daffy and Chaffy and stuff....crack up.

1. The great colours, especially royal blue.
2. The underdog - literally, there is no challenge in going for an already successful team
3. The tough, rugged working class men of the West, what this country was built on.
4. No other team needs my membership as much as my dogs
5. The feeling that only another dogs supporters knows, it's unspoken understanding and very bonding.

1. Family (dads side, mums side are Carlton/Bulldogs supporters)
2. Born and bred in the Geelong area
3. Didn't have a choice (see 1 and 2)
4. Culture
5. Received a toy Geelong car on my 3rd birthday (was interested in toy cars as a young kid)

1. Gary Ablett Snr.
2. Gary Ablett Snr.
3. Gary Ablett Snr.
4. Kardinia Park Standing Room
5. The poster i have framed and on my wall that says "Ablett 1000" which i got the day he kicked it at KP. A women we were standing next to went out for a drink and come back with a bunch of them for her family but had also got one for me. I was 8 at the time and it hasnt left my sight since.

Best Club Ever.

1. Dad chose the Hawks after moving here from Scotland and ending up living in Hawthorn. So it was a foregone
conclusion that myself and my brothers and sisters would all follow the Hawks.
2. The colours!!:p
3. Leigh Matthews.
4. Going to Glenferrie to watch the Hawks on the Showday Public Holiday (Thanks Jeff for scrapping it) preparing
for Grand Finals.
5. Dad taking me out to Waverley for the first time to watch the Hawks beat the Saints in 1987.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Will Schofield's Beard
2. Chris Masten's Haircut
3. Josh Kennedy's Run Up
4. Jack Darling Ninja Flips
188194_238786479565465_2117604263_n.jpg

1. Was born into Essendon
2. Grandpa played for Essendon
3. Equal most successful AFL team ever
4. Red and black, hngg
5. My first ever item of clothing was an Essendon jumpsuit.

Honorable mention: Being such a lovely club that we let Melbourne beat us every year

1. The great colours, especially royal blue.
2. The underdog - literally, there is no challenge in going for an already successful team
3. The tough, rugged working class men of the West, what this country was built on.
4. No other team needs my membership as much as my dogs
5. The feeling that only another dogs supporters knows, it's unspoken understanding and very bonding.
Would be nice to see the dogs win a flag in the near future. 50+ years is a long drought

(1) Daring to be different (Grandparents were Carlton fans, Old Man and remainder of kids support Brisbane)

(2) I have a history of supporting teams where success is limited (Knicks, Dolphins, Southampton, Cubs)

(3) My sister was born in Footscray (Sounds stupid I know!)

(4) The earliest elite football memories revolve around the Geelong Road end at the Whitten Oval

(5) Hooked for life after ANZAC Day 1990, in the days where Collingwood and Essendon didn't monopolise the concept, when we travelled to Princes Park and knocked off the Blues)

1. The dominance North had in the competition in the 90's.
2. The Kangaroo appealed to me as a kid.
3. Kind of like the underdog factor.
4. I like the colors.
5. North is the best.

1. Great Great Grandpa was Mayor of Collingwood.
2. Great Grandpa was brainwashed.
3. Grandma was brainwashed.
4. Mum was brainwashed.
5. I was brainwashed.

ps. I have brainwashed my boys.

1. wanted a local team
2. didnt support anyone else before freo were founded and thought they would need some support.
3. even as a kid I understood the eagles were rotten, and I didn't want to cheer for my team using a corporate jingle
4. fremantle is a cool spot, really got a distinctive feel to it imo. Gives the club a heart and soul (as opposed to ;))
5. didn't want to be a band wagon supporter

I wonder how many recall just how dire the situation was for our club in the early 90's. Average crowds at the SCG dipped below 10k, we had 26 losses on the trot. Training facilities, minimal. Social club out at Moore Park (somewhere), like vagrants. Teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Ron Barassi came up to save us.

If you were in those 9,000 crowds at the SCG 1991-93, you never forgot. That's why it means so much, that's why I jumped out of my chair when Malceski kicked that last snap in the 2012 GF.

So I'll say my five reasons are Tony Morwood, Paul Kelly, Warwick Capper and Mark Bayes and Ron Barassi. And Gerard Healy and Greg Williams. Oops that's seven reasons, and I could go on.

1. Grew up in a Collingwood area
  2. All my mates barracked for Collingwood
  3. Victoria Park was the easiest ground to get to
  4. Collingwood players came to our school for a clinic
  5. They had the most premierships when I was growing up
But mum and dad supported the saints. No contest.

When I was 5 or 6, right before I went to my first game, I thought the actually animals/creatures went out on the ground and fought.
For this reason I chose the tiges.
After I went to my first game I realised this wasn't the case and swapped to the hawks because my parents followed them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back