Opinion 5 worst Brownlow medal winners of the past 30 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
who the **** is graham wright? can honestly not remember hearing of him

Collingwood wingman who played from 1988-1998. To be honest, it's a bit suprising to me too. I don't remember seeing much of Wright, and I know that injuries slowed him down at some point, but I wasn't aware that he was actually that great a player. Not saying he wasn't talented, I just didn't think he was almost-win-a-Brownlow kind of talented. Tony Shaw won our B&F that year, and Darren Millane won the AFLPA MVP, and Scott Russell got an ton of footy in his first season, and Mick McGuane had a great year by the looks of it too, so for Wright to be our highest vote getter and almost win the Brownlow seems slightly odd. Still, it appears that it was Wright had some great games that year, and that it was definitely his best season, so I suppose we shouldn't be too suprised.

who the **** is graham wright? can honestly not remember hearing of him

You must be young if you don't remember him, as he was one of the best Tassie players running around in the AFL back then. Had a great 1990 along with most magpie players who had career bests in their premiership year. Only managed equal 3rd in the Copeland though, so second in the Brownlow might have been a bit lucky.

1990 was a funny old year. I mean, Collingwood won the flag FFS!!! :eek:

F$uk me!

did all the good players decide to take the year off that season?

Woewoden defintly number 1.

heard mixed reports about Hardie, never saw him play some people say he was good, some say he was rubbish and his name always gets thrown up as the worst winners.

Libba was a good player but would be one of the worst in the company of other winners espically those of this decade.

Wright was a running machine back then and knew where the goals were his first few yrs. Pity this thread doesnt go back a couple more yrs so we can pick on 'Teaser' as well!!!

Wanganeen. The greatest diver I've ever seen. In 1993 he had 60 frees for and 19 against. Total frees for Essendon for the year - 635. Wanganeen had nearly 10% on his own!

He had less then 5% of the team total disposals, less then 5% of the tackles, he kicked 5 goals for the year, he was ordinary.

He got 3 consecutive 3-vote games Rd 16,17,18. Rd 16 - 15 possies - 0 goals. Rd 17 - 23 possies (fair enough). Rd 18 - 14 possies - 0 goals.

Yes, what he did was spectacular (brilliantly skilled) - but I bet he wasn't even close to Essendon's B&F that year, and wouldn't have polled in the top 20 AFL MVP.

All the others mentioned here were players who at least had a good year when they won the medal.

yes it makes the award a real head scratcher.

some Forwards had some hugh seasons in 93, to say Wanganeens season was better then those is laughable.

Woewodin was a rubbish winner, but I had $5 on him at 200-1 before the season so it was a great moment.

More importantly how has nobody picked up on this farce of a comment re: Peter Moore winning Brownlows;

Not sure if you've gone back and looked at the vision of yesteryear recently but football was shithouse over 20 years ago.

What was he supposed to do, win the medals against players from the future?

Woewodin was a rubbish winner, but I had $5 on him at 200-1 before the season so it was a great moment.

More importantly how has nobody picked up on this farce of a comment re: Peter Moore winning Brownlows;

What was he supposed to do, win the medals against players from the future?

I picked up on it at my post (no 20). Ridiculous comment.

Libba was a good player but would be one of the worst in the company of other winners espically those of this decade.

The frightening thing about it was, he'd only managed two games in the previous two years (1 each in 1988 and 1989) and 18 in the past four. Amazing the umps knew who he was.

Like Judd in subsequent seasons (who had a statistically similar year in 2005 as WCE challenged for a flag and only received half the votes and couldn't even crack the AA team), he actually had far better years to come but the bar had been raised too high.

The frightening thing about it was, he'd only managed two games in the previous two years (1 each in 1988 and 1989) and 18 in the past four. Amazing the umps knew who he was.

Maybe that year the umpires were just rewarding performances alone, and not reputation :p

To be fair though, a lot of stars of the game did happen to have somewhat 'down' years in 1990. Judging by the votes, Greg Williams was on track to win the Brownlow 1/2 way through the season, but missed a fair few games in there as well.

Wanganeen. The greatest diver I've ever seen. In 1993 he had 60 frees for and 19 against. Total frees for Essendon for the year - 635. Wanganeen had nearly 10% on his own!

He had less then 5% of the team total disposals, less then 5% of the tackles, he kicked 5 goals for the year, he was ordinary.

He got 3 consecutive 3-vote games Rd 16,17,18. Rd 16 - 15 possies - 0 goals. Rd 17 - 23 possies (fair enough). Rd 18 - 14 possies - 0 goals.

Yes, what he did was spectacular (brilliantly skilled) - but I bet he wasn't even close to Essendon's B&F that year, and wouldn't have polled in the top 20 AFL MVP.

All the others mentioned here were players who at least had a good year when they won the medal.

How old are you? 12? You do realise he was a defender dont you...in an era that didnt have back flankers/pockets playing by themselves leaching uncontested disposals at will?

Not sure how many goals you expected a back pocket to kick per game :rolleyes: NOt to mention the fact he was All Australian that year as well. Was 5th favourite for the Medal pre count. He finished 3rd in the BnF.

To say he didnt have a good year says more about you basing it on reading AFL tables, than any lack of quality on his part.

Greg Williams went voteless in this game in 1993 - a game where Carlton won by 9 goals, and Diesel had 44 possessions and (by all accounts I've read, as I didn't witness the game) was the cheif destroyer. If Diesel had at least polled one vote, he would have been co-Brownlow Medallist. That is probably people's gripe - not that Wanganeen didn't deserve the Brownlow in 1993, just that (like Paul Roos in 1986) Diesel was clearly robbed of votes in a game where he was apparently the clear BOG.

This is why Wanganeen was undeserving. No counter argument can be made that Wanganeen should have won the medal over Williams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To say Wanganeen was a forward in 93 is laughable

Show me where he said Wanganeen was a forward. You won't be able to, because he didn't say it.

He is saying that several forwards had outstanding seasons, Modra, Ablett and Dunstall each kicked 120 goals plus, Greg Williams dominated the middle, and yet a back pocket won the medal. Ablett averaged 7.29 goals per game, kicked 5 bags of 10+ and finished with 13 votes.

Like Judd in subsequent seasons (who had a statistically similar year in 2005 as WCE challenged for a flag and only received half the votes and couldn't even crack the AA team), he actually had far better years to come but the bar had been raised too high.

Nothing to do with the bar being raised too high, more the fact that umpires caught on that he was a dog of a player. After all the Brownlow is awarded to the best and fariest player.

Show me where he said Wanganeen was a forward. You won't be able to, because he didn't say it.

He is saying that several forwards had outstanding seasons, Modra, Ablett and Dunstall each kicked 120 goals plus, Greg Williams dominated the middle, and yet a back pocket won the medal. Ablett averaged 7.29 goals per game, kicked 5 bags of 10+ and finished with 13 votes.

Thank You :thumbsu:

Great post. Shows how ridiculous the Brownlow is. Should NOT be the most prestigious award in Australian Rules Footy.

5 worst ever.

1 James Hird - Why because I hate Essendon
2. chris judd - Because Hodgey hates him
3. gary Ablett Jnr - Whoops hasn't won one
4. Gary ablett snr - whoops hasnt won one
5. Nathan Ablett - Whoops left the club

Just my opinion

Neither Libba or Woewodin will go down as champions of the game. I think Wanganeen will. Certainly wasn't the best player in 93 though. Wasn't even our best. (O'Donnell deservingly won the B & F)
But was Cooney the best last year. Did he win the Dogs B & F????

1. Woewoeful
2. Couch
3. Libba
4. Stynes
5. Wynd

This is why I don't believe in Brownlows and Magareys as the measuring stick of football greatness. With the possible exception of Stynes, none of those players could have ever be regarded as the greatest players going around, and yet there they are. And there's no Matthews, Ablett, Carey, Dunstall, etc ... a joke award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back