50 against dusty for water incident

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is, when Franklin was sparring with Rance before the first bounce a few weeks ago, he made head contact a couple of times and it was allowed to pass by an umpire standing two metres away. Is it a man's game or isn't it?

I didn't see that incident. But with the Martin one, after you've been warned not to do anything more and you spray the opponent in the face, you've essentially entered a game of chicken with the umpire, daring him to penalise you.

Where do you draw the line though? Can Martin just tip a whole bottle on someone? Can he squirt Powerade in his eyes?

The Ump was right there looking for any excuse to blow his whistle and get some attention and Martin gave him the perfect one.

I didn't see that incident. But with the Martin one, after you've been warned not to do anything more and you spray the opponent in the face, you've essentially entered a game of chicken with the umpire, daring him to penalise you.

The freo guy had his arm on dustys arm ...

Martin1.jpg

Martin1.jpg

Screaming in a players face while they try to drink some water - fair play

Squirting water at someone when they scream in your face - unsportsmanlike
that freo dude was also jabbing martin in the kidneys with his elbow. as well as that decision being soft or stupid it was wrong. same ump (i think) gift wrapped a goal to pav late in the last.

Thats the point though - Martin and Spurr had been going at it all game and the umpire was desperate to bring himself into it. Martin gave him that chance by spraying water and gave the 50m (for either misconduct or high contact). If they were both squirting water, it probably would have been play on.
jeez i reckon ross lyon and damian hardwick would have loved to be witness to this in a tight game...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean...look at how much 'contact' is made by Spurr there. Practically none. Nothing more than the standard shoulder to shoulder stuff we see when a full back lines up on his opponent at the start of a game. And a lot less than the standard tagger/star midfielder interaction at every ball up.
there is another angle that makes it look much worse

I mean...look at how much 'contact' is made by Spurr there. Practically none. Nothing more than the standard shoulder to shoulder stuff we see when a full back lines up on his opponent at the start of a game. And a lot less than the standard tagger/star midfielder interaction at every ball up.
And of course the contact of the water was so severe that spurr will be getting treatment well into his retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back