Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more on Brown:

Through his first 15 games, he has kicked 29 goals.

Nick Riewoldt kicked 8. Pavlich 12. Buddy 15. Jack Riewoldt 12. Kurt Tippett 15. Josh Kennedy 6.

Carey kicked 11. The only current day gun forward that matches up is Taylor Walker, who kicked 27 in his first 15 games of AFL footy.

Good stats mate. You wouldn't by any chance know where this ranks out of all afl/vfl players after 15 games ?

Some more on Brown:

Nick Riewoldt kicked 8. Pavlich 12. Buddy 15. Jack Riewoldt 12. Kurt Tippett 15. Josh Kennedy 6.

Carey kicked 11. The only current day gun forward that matches up is Taylor Walker, who kicked 27 in his first 15 games of AFL footy.

Keep in mind that BBB got overlooked in 3 drafts and his body had already filled out by the time he was on a senior list.

It usually takes key-position 18 year olds a few years before they can compete at senior level.

As we will no doubt find out with Durdin.

Having said that, BBB's attitude is second to none. He plays with a level of energy and enthusiasm that should be infectious..

The man love is growing for Benny... love the way he goes about it, and how humble he is off the field... dare I say he is a mix of Wanye and Glenn?

Brown is certainly a better mark and kick for goal then Aaron Black.

Is he ahead of Waite? At this stage I'd say so, but only because Waite has the tendency to do nothing some games and/or brain fades. Brown is also better on the lead.

Also forgot to add, sitting only second behind Lindsay with goals kicked at 12. He'd be our No.1 go to forward inside 50 marking target.

Needs to stay in the forward line all game. Someone else can ruck

Agree its risky playing him in the ruck but who else can provide a genuine contest when goldie needs a rest. He copped a few knocks in the ruck saturday and was still limping pretty badly at the airport last night. I know brads said plenty about drews work rate but id love to see the gps on ben cause he was working pretty hard up and down the ground.

Waite seems a bit lazy, doesn't chase his man.
I've actually had the opposite impression. While he's been inconsistent in his performance, which is what we expected, I feel like his defensive contributions and work rate has actually been pretty good. He's actually been quite disciplined as well which I have been surprised by.

Some more on Brown:

Thanks for this, proved very useful today when talking to Collingwood colleagues at work today. By comparison Cloke kicked 10 goals in his first 15 games. In fact it took Cloke 41 games to notch his 29th goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see a return to form for Petrie on the weekend, had a slow start to the season last year too.

I still think Petrie is our best forward when in form but Brown is certainly getting closer to him. If Petrie goes again next year I think Brown could have passed him by that stage.

Podsiadly kicked 31 in his first nine games.

If it is a little apples and oranges to compare the debut of a 21 year old Ben Brown to 18 year old future guns, it is apples and aeroplanes to compare with a bloke who debuted at 28.

He is a good player, I don't think he'll ever be a superstar for us though.

I thought that last year but this year he looks more imposing. Some of those marks he has been clunking this year reminds me of Corey.

Thanks for this, proved very useful today when talking to Collingwood colleagues at work today. By comparison Cloke kicked 10 goals in his first 15 games. In fact it took Cloke 41 games to notch his 29th goal.

Cloke would have kicked 29 goals worth of points though...

Both mature age debutants from lower leagues. I would say the comparison is more even to be honest. That said, browns first ten included 3 Finals.
A seven year gap in which Pod was able to develop his game and body to almost his fullest potential. That's even?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back