Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

You're doing yourself a disservice if you do this. Don't be afraid of having a dissenting/different opinion in and of itself. If it's a 'bad' opinion people will let you know and probably explain why they think that, but they aren't likely to judge you harshly for it (and if they do, they're probably dicks anyway, and you shouldn't worry yourself too much about it).

In this case there are a fair few of us who don't think he's just in the running for a tall forward position. Personally I'd love to see him on a wing to better utilise more of his strengths, and I suspect that's why the club has wanted him to focus more on his defensive work, because it's a lot worse to have a turnover (or clean/unpressured opposition disposal) in our forward 50 than it is 20 meters out from the defensive 50.
There's 'differing opinion' and there's 'just being wrong'. There must be something about him that gets people excited about this battle of the keys because his drafted height measurements are pretty underwhelming.

Either that, or there's a worry that the U25 KPF stocks are really thin so he's part of the discussion by virtue of being 190cm. NTTAWTT if that's the case. Brown, Black, Daw -- and then tumbleweeds as far as experience is concerned.

I'm aware now that we are treading from Double B's now. I still think Petrie/Waite/Black is as tall as the club is willing to go for round 1, when everyone is fit. I will be happy to be proven wrong though.

There's 'differing opinion' and there's 'just being wrong'. There must be something about him that gets people excited about this battle of the keys because his drafted height measurements are pretty underwhelming.

Either that, or there's a worry that the U25 KPF stocks are really thin so he's part of the discussion by virtue of being 190cm. NTTAWTT if that's the case. Brown, Black, Daw -- and then tumbleweeds as far as experience is concerned.

I'm aware now that we are treading from Double B's now. I still think Petrie/Waite/Black is as tall as the club is willing to go for round 1, when everyone is fit. I will be happy to be proven wrong though.
I dont think there is as much of a height rule with the 3rd tall forward. The main issue is that he is a marking target, just as JZ can play 'tall'. I prefer Wood on the wing with Petrie-Waite-Black for round 1 but if Black puts in.a similar effort to that against the Hawks in NAB3 I would rather go with Wood, rotating with JZ as the thrid tall.

I worry about going in too tall for the early rounds, too, ie. with Petrie-Waite-Brown, as delivery to forwards is usually still a bit shabby, so would pick a more mobile team. As mentioned before, Brown doesnt look quite ready yet (nor does Petrie for that matter) after the limited preseason, so the Petrie-Waite-Wood/JZ setup would be my preference, unless Black shows he is ready in the game against the Tiges. Then would go with Black and give Wood the sub vest.

I dont think there is as much of a height rule with the 3rd tall forward. The main issue is that he is a marking target, just as JZ can play 'tall'. I prefer Wood on the wing with Petrie-Waite-Black for round 1 but if Black puts in.a similar effort to that against the Hawks in NAB3 I would rather go with Wood, rotating with JZ as the thrid tall.

I worry about going in too tall for the early rounds, too, ie. with Petrie-Waite-Brown, as delivery to forwards is usually still a bit shabby, so would pick a more mobile team. As mentioned before, Brown doesnt look quite ready yet (nor does Petrie for that matter) after the limited preseason, so the Petrie-Waite-Wood/JZ setup would be my preference, unless Black shows he is ready in the game against the Tiges. Then would go with Black and give Wood the sub vest.
Derp. Forgot that a third tall doesn't need to be 195cm. Cheers.

I still don't think Wood should be considered a tall myself but I should go by what the general consensus is.

images

Brown is definitely the future who has notched up runs on the board......remember he has come from boiled lollies oto top grade chocolate in a short space of time. Has landed an extension.....he can play 2nd fiddle for awhile, he's going nowhere. I do prefer to have Ziebell playing more time up forward say the 70% Ive mentioned b4 and that will play havoc on any defence in the comp......they would probably put defender 3 on Petrie.........Im buoyed by our depth this year....

I think it's appropriate to temper expectations a little with Brown a little this year. I wasn't a member on the board at the end of 2013 and for half of 2014 but I did read a lot and I remember a lot of people saying similar things about Black that people do now about Brown. I remember a thread where many predicted Black to be comfortably our leading goalkicker in 2014 and I think these expectations led to many being more disappointed with Black than what he probably deserves. I hope Brown doesn't have 'second year blues,' but there is that possibility.

I worry about going in too tall for the early rounds, too, ie. with Petrie-Waite-Brown, as delivery to forwards is usually still a bit shabby, so would pick a more mobile team.

Match fitness also an issue too. I think teams run out of puff earlier until they hit their groove at about round 5-6. More runners can be very handy early on.

Match fitness also an issue too. I think teams run out of puff earlier until they hit their groove at about round 5-6. More runners can be very handy early on.
Based on that assessment, in the early rounds when you are trying to pick 2 players for a position. Pick the one with the greater fitness?

Obviously you don't pick Warren over Cunnington because of the km's. I'm talking about 2 like for like players that are hard to split. Simplistically Woods >> Black

Spot on. Of our KPFs, only Waite has had a full preseason. Wood only had a minor setback, so he is in good shape. But Petrie, Brown, Black and Daw have all had limited preparations, so I would guess this will be a factor.

And just on the height thing with Wood, he is the same height as Pavlich, taller than Darling, and just an inch shorter than Gunston. He also has a good reach, so I think he would be fine as a third tall. It is all a question as to whether he is ready and from what I have seen last week he would do the job alongside Petrie and Waite.

Spot on. Of our KPFs, only Waite has had a full preseason. Wood only had a minor setback, so he is in good shape. But Petrie, Brown, Black and Daw have all had limited preparations, so I would guess this will be a factor.

And just on the height thing with Wood, he is the same height as Pavlich, taller than Darling, and just an inch shorter than Gunston. He also has a good reach, so I think he would be fine as a third tall. It is all a question as to whether he is ready and from what I have seen last week he would do the job alongside Petrie and Waite.

Have never understood the obsession with height with regard to KPF's.

To me, if you can play the position, you're tall enough.

Have never understood the obsession with height with regard to KPF's.

To me, if you can play the position, you're tall enough.
Exactly. That mark he took on Sunday was a pack mark of a key forward. Can we say that Black is a better marking target than Wood? Probably too early to call, but the point is that Wood takes a strong grab at its highest point so will likely become a dangerous marking target. Wood is like Black in that his mobility makes our forward line more dangerous and while he lacks Blacky's tackling and ground skills, he has a tank to burn off defenders. Just see him as a very exciting prospect. As we have with Brown. And as we expect to see Black get back to. Great options.

Not just the talls either. The smaller guys struggle a bit too in my opinion earlier so an extra runner helps cover for them. I know Gibson is a love hate type of player for some but imagine if the AFL continue to drop interchanges over the next couple of years... his worth will increase each time.

Agree that height isn't the defining issue however durability is. Just because a player can play a position doesn't mean its the best thing long term - not that I'm suggesting that's the case with either Wood, Black or Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, see above.

Oh I didn't realise third tall meant you don't need to be AFL tall, but you play 'tall'.

If a Mundy plays in the forward line does anyone hear?

So does Wood play forward as the fourth tall?

And are the numbers allocated to the 'talls' height dependant?

So many questions :)

With competition for spots at an all-time high, particularly in attack, Ben Brown understands the need to make himself indispensable.

RELATED: Ben Brown player profile

The second-year player has discussed how his ability to go into the ruck could be pivotal to holding down a regular senior spot.

“I’ve made a real focus on my ruck work,” Brown told RSN Racing and Sport.

PRESS PLAY above to listen to the interview.

“It’s a big part of my game and it’s something that’s going to be important for me if I want to have my spot in the team.”

At 200cm, Brown’s height means he’s not out of place while providing Todd Goldstein a spell up forward.

The Tasmanian continues to build his strength in a bid to fully round out his game.

“I’ve been working really hard in the gym with our weights coach and also out on the track with big Alex Ishchenko (ruck coach),” Brown explained.

“It’s something I need to work on and get better at, and that might tell whether I get a spot in the side at the end of the day.”

Brown was also quizzed about the latest hot topic, the status of the roof at Etihad Stadium.

RELATED: Have your say on whether the roof should be open or closed

While admitting he ‘didn’t mind it’ on the weekend, he joined a chorus of support for it to be permanently shut.

“I do like the roof closed, it adds some atmosphere to the game,” Brown said.

“Coming from Tassie and VFL footy, it’s fun for me as a player to get out and play under a roof.

“I suppose like Scotty said, innovation is great and they should try things but roof closed is the preference, for our club anyway.”

The game at Etihad rounded out North’s pre-season; two solid performances against Hawthorn and Richmond leaves the team in a good position before the clash against Adelaide in a fortnight.

“We’re feeling really good coming into round one and that’s exactly what Brad’s wanted to get out (of the pre-season,” Brown said.

“Everyone’s played a good amount of game-time so everything seems to be falling into place.”

If you heard Brad interviewed before the game you would have heard why they made the change.

They made the change due to wanting more run in the team apparently. If yesterday wasnt a tall forwards day for marking then i couldn't imagine what conditions would be suitable.

Disgraceful decision by whoever made the change. Screams of a Brad Scott decision to me. A dumb coach leads a dumb team i guess.

Very good game by Benny. The thing that impressed me most was how well he performed in the ruck - last year all he could really manage was to try and out-awkward the other ruckman in order to halve the contest. Not pretty.

This year he's actually rucking - he's no Goldy, but waaaay better than he was.

And his forward line/around the ground work his superb, even more so for a bloke who has played bugger all games. That third goal of his...45m, 45 degree angle, and it was all money from even before he started to line up to kick it. I reckon he started his celebrations half way through his run up he was so confident of nailing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back