Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hopefully this ends the bizarre "Maj vs Brown" debate which came about last week.

I doubt it, for some reason if you want Maj to succeed you are thought to want Brown not to, and then it all starts again. I don't get it. hopefully we get to see what Maj can do for longer the 60 minutes before the season is over, who knows it could be the making of a duo to take over from Drew and Waite when they hang up their boots.:)

Rooboy 34

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2001
Captains Bar & Bay 34...
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Wanderers CC...
Took my young bloke to the Harvey's Hero's clinic last week and seriously thought that Benny must be homeless - the amount of time that he spent with each little supporter was extraordinary. Generally over the years, the North guys are fantastic with the young supporters because they understand how important the kids are to our future - well Browny takes everything to a new level. Not 100% sure what he actually said to young Daniel, but Dan genuinely believes that Browny is his good mate and that he is playing his hardest to make kids like Daniel happy and proud of our club. There are too many footballers (& Sportsman generally) who are too full of themselves to remember what it was like to be a 7 year old, so to have a guy like this playing for our club is something that I am extremely happy about.

BTW, the kid can seriously play!!!

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
How he didn't get a free kick when both his arms were being held by seperate players defies belief....
Stop whinging, his right leg was free.

My 4 year old said 'If I did that to my brother I'd be in time-out'. Made me slightly less angry.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has kicked three goals or more on six occasions this year. No other player in our team even comes close.
The guy can play, take it so high up no chance to spoil, he will add another 2-3 kg and will be a real monster....

May 16, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The guy can play, take it so high up no chance to spoil, he will add another 2-3 kg and will be a real monster....

He is about where you'd expect a top 5 pick KPF to be in his development at this age. The only difference is we didn't have to spend a top 5 pick on him nor a bunch of years and gifted games developing him. Already a good player, will be an excellent one, and one of the biggest draft bargains of the era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is about where you'd expect a top 5 pick KPF to be in his development at this age. The only difference is we didn't have to spend a top 5 pick on him nor a bunch of years and gifted games developing him. Already a good player, will be an excellent one, and one of the biggest draft bargains of the era.
I think it almost helps that he had to bide his time before we picked him up. I imagine his older age allowed us to take the plunge sooner in terms of game time.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Lions clown behind me kept yelling out 'number 50 can't kick, number 50 is too skinny'. I turned and replied 'yeah he really spudded it up kicking 4.1 last week but since you're calling him #50 you don't actually know who he is, for all of us just shut up and try to learn something slapnut'.

I then faced forward and shut up after realising the dude was massive, and I'm not. #carltondraught

Last edited:
Lions clown behind me kept yelling out 'number 50 can't kick, number 50 is too skinny'. I turned and replied 'yeah he really spudded it up kicking 4.1 last week but since you're calling him #50 you don't actually know who he is, for all of us just shut up and try to learn something slapnut'.

I then faced forward and shut up after realise the dude was massive, and I'm not. #carltondraught
Pfft. Need more commitment, sir.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
His first goal last night, with the left foot snap after roving his own ball was sublime. Still so much upside with him, if he can build that upper body strength to hold off the gorilla defenders, he will be quite the defensive nightmare for the oppo.
Happened 'right in front of me'!!!!!!! I wore half my beer fist pumping but it was so worth it.

He's already been remarkable value for what you'd expect was likely a speculative pick by the club so late in the draft. If he continues to develop on his current trend (and can actually have a pre-season unhindered by surgery) he could be an unbelievable steal.

He's already been remarkable value for what you'd expect was likely a speculative pick by the club so late in the draft. If he continues to develop on his current trend (and can actually have a pre-season unhindered by surgery) he could be an unbelievable steal.
Just out of curiosity, you consider the 40s as late in the draft?

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My old man watched Brown once when he used to play for Glenorchy.

Said plenty in the bar area were making fun of his gait and overall 'look', but then were massively wowed by the fact he completely dominated the game (the TFL is a weaker league now, but anytime a boy dominates against men it's worth taking notice).

Remember him saying he was hoping Collingwood would pick him up as they lack talls, and couldn't believe it Brown slipped so far in draft especially when average talls go much earlier based on potential at junior level when Brown had shown plenty in Tas and Vic at senior level.

We've done bloody well, and full credit to Brown doing it the hard way and making tough decisions (by leaving his family etc) to move to Werribee in getting to play AFL footy.

:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Back