PC $50 steam box - better quality than next gen consoles

Remove this Banner Ad

funk44

Skookum Choocher
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
So yesterday while trying to figure out how to install a different version of xbmc on my raspberry pi i came across something called limelight

Limelight is (simply put) a tool which enables you to utilise your PCs resources to stream a game over your network via your pi to your TV and have it playable through your pi (it also works for other platforms like android too)

While dubious that it actually would work i had a play around today and managed to get it going, the results were ******* amazing

I was able to play BioShock Infinite maxed out 1600x900 @ 60fps with a keyboard and mouse OR an xbox 360 controller (requires a little extra work) flawlessly (around 20ms lag between my pc and the pi, maybe less)

Same deal for TF2, CS:GO and Dirt 3

If i bumped it up to 1080p @ 60fps the picture was fine but there was about a 1 second lag between the computer and the pi and wasn't really playable but once i brought it down to 30fps it worked perfectly again

Here a video of it in action (not mine)

Overall i am extremely impressed and at 1080p @ 30fps or 900p @ 60fps it smashes the next gen consoles, plus you can use it to load apps (emulators for instance), browsers etc etc

Given that it took a few hours to get going (including installing raspbian) for someone who had never used linux before today i would say its pretty easy to set up too, provided you can follow instructions

Next i am going to have a crack at getting my Logitech G27 working with it for Dirt 3

Just a note, you need a NVIDIA graphics card capable of using GeForce Experience (GTX 600+) for this to work

Link to the tool and setup guide i followed below

http://thematabot.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/a-look-at-limelight-pi-install-and-use/
https://github.com/irtimmer/limelight-embedded

So yesterday while trying to figure out how to install a different version of xbmc on my raspberry pi i came across something called limelight

Im sorry, Anyone who mentions as having that sort of hardware around i invision that walls around the house are covered in pictures of you in a long turtle neck holding a cat

Sounds pretty cool, Might give it a try, I think my Raspberry Pi is in a box somewhere, where my Girlfriend franticly hides all my stuff when her friends come over in some fleeting attempt to paint me as some sort out normal outgoing dude

Or just connect your PC to your TV?

Either way, saying it's $50 and better than current consoles is a tad misleading don't you think?

'Hey guys I just bought a thing called a HDMI chord, it was only 40 bucks and it plays all the latest games at 1080/60! Just plug in and play!'
Yeah you could do that if your tv was in the same vicinity of your pc i guess? however its a redundant point as this works over wireless (as well as wired)

Just add a $3000 gaming PC. Right?

Like comparing apples and cars.

no

Remove this Banner Ad

Back