Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those struggling to keep the faith

Just want to preface this comparison I thought of by saying, these are just stats, make of them what you will. This is solely to give everyone an idea of how he is tracking in comparison to star KPFs. I am not speculating on whether Joe will be better than Jack/Lance.

Joe has played 21 games of AFL football.

After 21 games:

Lance Franklin
21 Goals, 14 Points, 80 Marks

Jack Riewoldt
21 Goals, 8 Points, 84 Marks

Joe Daniher
22 Goals, 25 Points, 118 Marks

At a glance it looks very promising...

Just want to preface this comparison I thought of by saying, these are just stats, make of them what you will. This is solely to give everyone an idea of how he is tracking in comparison to star KPFs. I am not speculating on whether Joe will be better than Jack/Lance.

After 21 games:

Lance Franklin

Jack Riewoldt

Joe Daniher

Very promising indeed!.

Joe has had a great start. We will see him at his best in another 2-4 years. Everything before that is a bonus.

He will be very scary once he builds some strength, And if Carlisle continues to develop as a forward then we should have a really good Forward duo in a couple years. Just have to go through some growing pains to get their.

He will be very scary once he builds some strength, And if Carlisle continues to develop as a forward then we should have a really good Forward duo in a couple years. Just have to go through some growing pains to get their.
This has got me thinking. If we have one coming OTT WADA style and the other marking at it's highest point, will the universe cease to exist?

It's no given that JD will build up enough core strength to hold his ground. Gumbleton is a point in case.
Does Daniher have back problems?

This has got me thinking. If we have one coming OTT WADA style and the other marking at it's highest point, will the universe cease to exist?

The Daniher-Carlisle Paradox.

I see the point.. we don't know how much JD will fill out/strengthen...

But that shouldn't stop the excitement.. for me the kid already earns his spot as a 3rd tall and led our marking tally.. up till Carlisle went bonkers!

Has all the skills and attributes and IF his body doesn't fill out (Fletcher style) then I expect his footy smarts will mean that he just adapts his game plan accordingly.

If he remains relatively 'injury-free' then I see no scenario where he isn't one of the top 10 key forwards in the league within 3 years.

After 21 games:

Lance Franklin

Jack Riewoldt

Joe Daniher

Was anyone actually not keeping the faith? at the start of the season i said i would have been very happy with a goal a game and for him to prove that he belongs at the level, he's ticked those boxes and more. Even if he doesn't fill out to become a brick shithouse like Tredrea he'll still get significantly stronger and with that will come him going HAM on anyone and everyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's no given that JD will build up enough core strength to hold his ground. Gumbleton is a point in case.
It's no given that JD won't build up enough core strength to hold his ground. Gehrig is a point in case.

Would have thought it would be hard to develop your body whilst being injured your whole career..

Gumbleton never built up his core strength - That's a fact - Do you realise that in 2013 Gumby was involved in 25 one-on-one contests - He won zero.

I hope that JD does better in building up his core strength - But there are no guarantees in life.

Gumbleton never built up his core strength - That's a fact - Do you realise that in 2013 Gumby was involved in 25 one-on-one contests - He won zero.

I hope that JD does better in building up his core strength - But there are no guarantees in life.

Jeez thats harsh. Its a bit hard to build a footballing body if you know...... arent playing the game.

besides daniher doesnt have to be huge, I wouldnt classify Jake as a massive unit but hes strong which has probably come from playing and training consistently, no reason daniher cant do that and no problems with people expecting him to do so.

I struggle to see any similarities between Gumby and Joe, other than they're both tall and play forward. We all already saw the size difference between 2013 and 2014 for Joe. Add to that the fact he will be more of a leading and jumping marker and not a one on one contest marker and I see no need to worry too much about whether Joe will get bigger.

The bigger point is that Gumbleton was never great at contested marking... at any point.. JD has already shown he can take a contested grab regularly.

Strength will help.. but if that doesn't come.. then he still has massive reach, footy smarts, excellent ground level skills and a good lead... he is going to be just fine.

I'm pretty sure for the first 10 years of Fletcher career we were waiting for him to 'fill out' so he could take on the big boys.. never happened.. but he still dominated.

I think he will add strength though.. the development between last year and this year was huge.. no doubt he can do that again in my mind.

The bigger point is that Gumbleton was never great at contested marking... at any point.. JD has already shown he can take a contested grab regularly.

Strength will help.. but if that doesn't come.. then he still has massive reach, footy smarts, excellent ground level skills and a good lead... he is going to be just fine.

I'm pretty sure for the first 10 years of Fletcher career we were waiting for him to 'fill out' so he could take on the big boys.. never happened.. but he still dominated.

I think he will add strength though.. the development between last year and this year was huge.. no doubt he can do that again in my mind.
What? Gumby's contested marking was fine. His problem was back and hamstring injuries which affected his pace, mobility and ground level skills.

Joe will never be Cloke-like in the marking contest because of his higher centre of gravity. But it is silly to use comparisons to Gumbleton who never really had a chance after he missed so many seasons with injury.

Daniher's advantages are speed, agility and reach and that will form the basis of his game. He'll wrestle when he needs to but, like Buddy, that will never be his forte. He'll beat defenders in the air or on the lead or doubling back into space.

He's got a tonne of development left and within a couple of seasons he'll look like a completely different player. He is better than most KPFs at the same age - Cameron being the most recent exception - and we saw in the GWS game what he can do when playing against players who have had a similar level of development.

He is now, as he was when drafted, the single most exciting prospect we've had since a 16 year old Matthew Lloyd wandered through the doors of Windy Hill. And besides some obvious accuracy issues there is no reason to believe that he won't fulfill his potential.

What? Gumby's contested marking was fine. His problem was back and hamstring injuries which affected his pace, mobility and ground level skills.
Gumby took an average of 1.11 contested marks per game over his career to date.
That is not elite.. in fact it isn't even close to average.
His highest average was 1.57 Contested marks per game in the 2013 season.

Joe Daniher already averages 1.48 contested marks per game across his career.
His highest average is 1.56 contested marks per game, this year in his second season.

So, statistically, JD is already a better contested marker than Gumbleton was even at the 'peak' of his career. Gumbleton had many strengths and injuries were cruel.. no doubt. but contested marking was not a strength of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back