Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ifyicqt00Vwmt.gif

idkiJgKPwSTND.gif

Just in case some need reminding.

The calls to drop JD are staggering.. but it seems like the match committee is heading in the same direction...

We need this kid to play serious minutes at AFL level and develop.. not sit in the two's kicking 3-4 every week against no zone defence and weak pressure. We also need the team to develop some SERIOUS understanding with how JD plays.. where he leads, where he wants the ball.. when he wants the ball etc etc.. you can not buy that kind of understanding.. it will ONLY come with the team playing games together...

JD has taken a heap of contested ball and shown consistent effort through 5 rounds.. should be well off the radar to be dropped imho.

The calls to drop JD are staggering.. but it seems like the match committee is heading in the same direction...

We need this kid to play serious minutes at AFL level and develop.. not sit in the two's kicking 3-4 every week against no zone defence and weak pressure. We also need the team to develop some SERIOUS understanding with how JD plays.. where he leads, where he wants the ball.. when he wants the ball etc etc.. you can not buy that kind of understanding.. it will ONLY come with the team playing games together...

JD has taken a heap of contested ball and shown consistent effort through 5 rounds.. should be well off the radar to be dropped imho.

JD will be dropped/rested at some stage as I doubt you can play T-Bell and JD in the same team. Read JM's post on BB which is linked on another thread. It's very insightful.

yeah.. I know what people are writing yaco and I couldn't disagree more strongly.

We need a forward desperately.. don't have time to tip toe through it.. only way we are going to build any kind of synergy between JD and our midfield is through games..

Stupid stupid stupid stupid to drop this kid now. Stupid.

yeah.. I know what people are writing yaco and I couldn't disagree more strongly.

We need a forward desperately.. don't have time to tip toe through it.. only way we are going to build any kind of synergy between JD and our midfield is through games..

I think you can move Fletcher into a tall winger/loose man role and then play JC/Hurls/Hooker as the three key talls..

TBell and JD up forward with Winders/Chapman and then rotate 2 midfielders through there...

Means we take in 7 true 'tall's including Ryder.. of which 5 a genuinely mobile.. I don't see us being too top heavy IFFFFFF our midfielders work hard both ways..

Get Carlisle out of the forward half for a start...

So would you play Carlisle/T-Bell and JD in the one forward line. This is the pressing issue.

So would you play Carlisle/T-Bell and JD in the one forward line. This is the pressing issue.

No, you can't play all three.. If you have JD and TBell down there.. then there needs to be 4 smalls at their feet.. to prevent the run out.. You could possibly have Carlisle playing very high half forward.. or closer to true wing position.. to be an outlet pass and conduit to the forward line..

Personally I would be keen to see what would happen if you didn't play a traditional CHF.. and instead went with TBell and JD starting in the goal square.. TBell stays back for the long ball to the top of the square/20 out.. and JD leads hard up at the ball carrier... This would force our midfield to run and carry the ball further and therefore not create turnovers from our 50m line..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big chance to re-emulate this type of form against some easier match ups (Lach Keefe/Jack Frost).

Get the ball in long, fast, high and into space and let the big duo run and jump to mark the thing!!

JD and Carlisle get their chance tomorrow. My preference is for JD to get Keefe. Frost is very quick and will match JD on the lead.

Forgive my intrusion.

But I just wanted to offer an opinion from a different set of eyes.

Joe Danniher is going to be ok. Right now, I just don't think he has the tank, or the core strength to impact in either of the two roles that he is playing to the extent that some may expect/want.

He's a baby in terms of an AFL player.

I noticed a tendency to continually lose his feet at Ruck Stoppages, that's just a kid figuring out how to impact a ruck knock against bigger, stronger, fitter players, he constantly looks to ghost in over the top and loses alot of hit out's completely, that's going to happen, he's not ready to play as a ruck but has been forced due to injury.

He hasn't quite establish the need to keep your feet at a ruck contest if possible, and he's probably underestimating how much it takes out of his tank to get back to his feet and spring off to the next contest.

Seeing him lack spark up forward comes as no surprise to me, he's knackered. Forwards don't tend to move when they are tired.

Having seen JD in full flight at the 18's carnival, playing as a sole forward, I, along with the other members of the WA travelling party were absolutely gob smacked by his agility, his leap, and his set of hands. He absolutely brained us.

You will see glimpses, like the match against North Melbourne, but until he is allowed to settle, build his tank and his body it will be patchy.

That said, I firmly believe his natural talent, if combined with the proper work rate, will see him become a stand out player in the competition in the years to come.

You've got an absolute gem, for minimal const I might add.

Forgive my intrusion.

But I just wanted to offer an opinion from a different set of eyes.

Joe Danniher is going to be ok. Right now, I just don't think he has the tank, or the core strength to impact in either of the two roles that he is playing to the extent that some may expect/want.

He's a baby in terms of an AFL player.

I noticed a tendency to continually lose his feet at Ruck Stoppages, that's just a kid figuring out how to impact a ruck knock against bigger, stronger, fitter players, he constantly looks to ghost in over the top and loses alot of hit out's completely, that's going to happen, he's not ready to play as a ruck but has been forced due to injury.

He hasn't quite establish the need to keep your feet at a ruck contest if possible, and he's probably underestimating how much it takes out of his tank to get back to his feet and spring off to the next contest.

Seeing him lack spark up forward comes as no surprise to me, he's knackered. Forwards don't tend to move when they are tired.

Having seen JD in full flight at the 18's carnival, playing as a sole forward, I, along with the other members of the WA travelling party were absolutely gob smacked by his agility, his leap, and his set of hands. He absolutely brained us.

You will see glimpses, like the match against North Melbourne, but until he is allowed to settle, build his tank and his body it will be patchy.

That said, I firmly believe his natural talent, if combined with the proper work rate, will see him become a stand out player in the competition in the years to come.

You've got an absolute gem, for minimal const I might add.

Absolutely, the damning thing is despite all of this he is still our best forward over the last few games.
I have no problem with him playing every game this year and next while he gets his body right, so when he finally has the size he also has the game experience to put the points on the board. Absolutely the future of our forward line.

Kid has bucket loads of talent. That is obvious.

We won't see it for a good 3 or 4 years at the very least until his body matures and gains more experience. Anyone who thinks he will dominate games now is sadly mistaken. Be patient!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back