60% Quota Introduced for South African Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Impressive knowledge of the South African domestic scene.

Justin Ontong - he's been around forever.

That '40' option makes them such a different side.

As much as I would like to claim that as knowledge, it's basically just searching through recent results for the best players that fit the criteria.

It's quite amazing how many Cape Coloureds are around the Test team.

As much as I would like to claim that as knowledge, it's basically just searching through recent results for the best players that fit the criteria.

It's quite amazing how many Cape Coloureds are around the Test team.

Isn't cricket really popular in the Western Cape? That would explain it.

I don't think Cape Coloured's are considered black though.

Will the ICC actually stand up to the racism on show if this is introduced as per apartheid or will the ICC turn a blind eye?
Please tell me you can see the difference between apartheid and a quota system. Please.

Please tell me you can see the difference between apartheid and a quota system. Please.

Well, I can't really, I don't understand enough about it and I'm pretty sure I didn't compare the two. As as far as I understand apartheid was a political move as this appears to be. If cricket made a move because no black players were being selected why can they not make a move when white players are not being selected?

Well, I can't really, I don't understand enough about it and I'm pretty sure I didn't compare the two. As as far as I understand apartheid was a political move as this appears to be. If cricket made a move because no black players were being selected why can they not make a move when white players are not being selected?
Apartheid killed people. Prevented them from getting jobs. Voting, Living in certain places. Being in certain places. Drinking from water taps. Waiting at bus stations. Etc. Etc. Etc.

A quota means X amount of people must play a game of sport.

Apartheid killed people. Prevented them from getting jobs. Voting, Living in certain places. Being in certain places. Drinking from water taps. Waiting at bus stations. Etc. Etc. Etc.

A quota means X amount of people must play a game of sport.

Are you trying to defend the quota system?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently it's just some typical political posturing before the South African election, and they don't legitimately want to go ahead with it.

There could be a lot of players moving here to play for the state sides on good contracts.

I'm not sure if there is a salary cap for the shield competition but it could be huge for the three or four 1st class players that fall out of the 1st class team due to this if they moved here and.. after the Fawad Ahmed rule period, filling our gaps against England.

Sounds like it won't happen, but I always thought a quota was usually like 20 or 25%. Decent representation in the team, but not forcing the majority of the team to be a particular race.

Is the issue in South Africa below the international level?

Ie that at junior, representative, domestic cricket that teams are not picked on merit currently?

A racial quota was the reason KP got dropped from Natal once upon a time, and shipped off to England.

Not sure if it's still around.

The problem is when these rules reach the highest levels (international, state level). You can't have anything other than a merit based selection policy at that stage. Players who aren't up to it are exposed.

What I'm wondering is if SA has an issue eg there are areas where the only players that get picked in all the underage and representative cricket below state level are rich white kids from private schools. And these players are given the best chances to progress through the pathway and succeed.

You read about politics in selection at all levels being a massive issue in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies. Which country was it that has to have a politician on the selection panel or something? Amazing stuff.

The problem is when these rules reach the highest levels (international, state level). You can't have anything other than a merit based selection policy at that stage. Players who aren't up to it are exposed.

What I'm wondering is if SA has an issue eg there are areas where the only players that get picked in all the underage and representative cricket below state level are rich white kids from private schools. And these players are given the best chances to progress through the pathway and succeed.

You read about politics in selection at all levels being a massive issue in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies. Which country was it that has to have a politician on the selection panel or something? Amazing stuff.

That's Sri Lanka.

South Africa seem to have been producing some pretty impressive coloured cricketers at U19's level.

South Africa seem to have been producing some pretty impressive coloured cricketers at U19's level.
That's fantastic and begs the question why do they think they need a quota system if what they've got now is producing good results?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back