Delisted #7: Leroy Jetta [Part II]- he and club have agreed to part ways

Remove this Banner Ad

Some nice words there.

AFL website... Jetta Quits... Riiiiiiiggght. He wasn't delisted. Way to keep your narrative running, bunch of campaigners.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-07/jetta-quits-bombers

Please note - the BF contract status thread OP more accurately reflects the outcome - DELISTED!
TBH.. I don't mind if a playing 'quits' as opposed to waiting for us to delist them.. it was clear that his future wasn't at EFC and there is no need to be harsh if you don't need to be.

I'm pretty sure everyone in footy knows why he is leaving.. we have tried to shop him around twice without success.. so very unlikely he will find another home.

Good Luck to him.

TBH.. I don't mind if a playing 'quits' as opposed to waiting for us to delist them.. it was clear that his future wasn't at EFC and there is no need to be harsh if you don't need to be.

I'm pretty sure everyone in footy knows why he is leaving.. we have tried to shop him around twice without success.. so very unlikely he will find another home.

Good Luck to him.

It was more a comment on the narrative - they could have very easily given the headline 'mutual parting of ways'.

It was more a comment on the narrative - they could have very easily given the headline 'mutual parting of ways'.
Yeah yeah.. I get the disgust.. especially when BOTH parties have been very clear that it was relating to his opportunities to play and NOTHING else..

However the media are such corrupt pricks.. I expect nothing less.

Think that Jetta will find a new home - It may be on a conditional offer of one year with an option for year 2 - It may be similar to the Gumby deal.

Last edited:
Shame that Leroy never developed the tank.. had a smart goal sense and looked good in parts of 2011 and 2012.

I think he could play a role at many clubs.. if they want to take the punt.

since when has Dempsey wanted out?
Things got a little crazy over the weekend, rumour & inuendo mixed with fact. There was rumour that Demspey wanted out to Brisbane, coupled with his family being up there and Paddy wanting to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, we really screwed up that draft. The most notable Essendon-related thing to come out of it, if we ignore CAREYESQUE DAVEY, is Nick Gill.
is 2006 our worst drafting year ever?
You have to think:
#2 for Gumbleton --> Boak/Selwood
#18 for Jetta --> Chris Dawes
#20 for Hislop --> Eric MacKenzie
#36 for Davey --> Todd Goldstein
#42 for Houli --> keep instead of trade
#47 for Reimers --> Robbie Gray

I think we would have won on Saturday with those upgrades...

Also, you can see where Port came from.. compare their 2006 efforts:
#5 - boak
#23 - Stewart
#39 Krakouer
#55 - Robbie Gray
#71 - Westhoff
#83 Ryan Williams
#86 - David Rodan

Ignore the picks in the 80's.. they didn't really miss one.

I'll still never really accept that destroying Jetta wasn't part of some self-fulfilling plan. Not in a sinister sense but more that he may have been the guy we chose to make an example of (because he wasn't rated internally).

I have to say that I was shocked to hear his manager say that he had a really good relationship with Hird and that it was Bomber that didn't appear to rate him (the damage having been done in 2013).

Too much skill and creativity not to be on an AFL list but then I suspect that there will be too much focus on what it is that he can't do as opposed to what he does well.

I'll still never really accept that destroying Jetta wasn't part of some self-fulfilling plan. Not in a sinister sense but more that he may have been the guy we chose to make an example of (because he wasn't rated internally).

I have to say that I was shocked to hear his manager say that he had a really good relationship with Hird and that it was Bomber that didn't appear to rate him (the damage having been done in 2013).

Too much skill and creativity not to be on an AFL list but then I suspect that there will be too much focus on what it is that he can't do as opposed to what he does well.
What do you think Jetta did Wrong?

What do you think Jetta did Wrong?
Thompson hated him. From the start.:rolleyes:

This all came out in 2012 after Jetta had a career best year.. and he never really got another look in.

Seen as lazy and didn't develop the tank required to play AFL.. tried to turn him into a midfielder.. and he never had the tank.. and wasn't explosive enough as a small forward.

Last edited:
is 2006 our worst drafting year ever?
You have to think:
#2 for Gumbleton --> Boak/Selwood
#18 for Jetta --> Chris Dawes
#20 for Hislop --> Eric MacKenzie
#36 for Davey --> Todd Goldstein
#42 for Houli --> keep instead of trade
#47 for Reimers --> Robbie Gray

I think we would have won on Saturday with those upgrades...

Also, you can see where Port came from.. compare their 2006 efforts:
#5 - boak
#23 - Stewart
#39 Krakouer
#55 - Robbie Gray
#71 - Westhoff
#83 Ryan Williams
#86 - David Rodan

Ignore the picks in the 80's.. they didn't really miss one.

I (and i'm sure many others) remember thinking back at the time of the '06 draft of just how important it would be for us. Nothing short of a disaster really in hindsight. Good drafts afterwards limited the damage I guess. I know Gumby was rated a top pick at the time but still.....!!!
Also timing wasn't great, that was the first year the AFL ended priority picks or moved them to the end of the 1st round. A massive decision in the end. Carlton would have taken Gibbs and possibly Leuenberger and we would have taken either Boak or Selwood with our priority pick. UHHHHH!!!!

I'm going to go get my popcorn, while you find a source for this one.....
Sorry forgot to put the emoticon in there.

The top line was in response to previous poster. The bottom part was why he wasn't good enough for the team.

I (and i'm sure many others) remember thinking back at the time of the '06 draft of just how important it would be for us. Nothing short of a disaster really in hindsight. Good drafts afterwards limited the damage I guess. I know Gumby was rated a top pick at the time but still.....!!!
Also timing wasn't great, that was the first year the AFL ended priority picks or moved them to the end of the 1st round. A massive decision in the end. Carlton would have taken Gibbs and possibly Leuenberger and we would have taken either Boak or Selwood with our priority pick. UHHHHH!!!!
Ya.. screwed by the AFL and then proceeded to shot ourselves in the foot.
The gaping hole that was left is only know being filled.. but it shows why we are probably 1-2 years 'behind' Port in developing our list.

Thompson hated him. From the start.:rolleyes:

This all came out in 2012 after Jetta had a career best year.. and he never really got another look in.

Seen as lazy and didn't develop the tank required to play AFL.. tried to turn him into a midfielder.. and he never had the tank.. and wasn't explosive enough as a small forward.
My thoughts exactly would have been gone 4 yrs ago if I was making decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back