75 radical ideas to transform Australia. Be like Gough.... but in reverse.

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
I imagine the yuppies in Ultimo won't be too impressed by the idea of having their suburb 'united' with Redfern.
I haven't met "Yuppies" in Ultimo, but as they are traditionally a high income stereotype I imagine they will continue to live in security apartments and security carparks and tinted cars so will have little idea of what's around them! Of course, if residents actually engage with their community, they enjoy the mixture of backgrounds a place like Redfern has - which is why Redfern has already being highly gentrified outside of the public housing blocks. From memory you're on the Northern Beaches yeah? You probably still think Redfern is like it was a decade or two ago?

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I haven't met "Yuppies" in Ultimo, but as they are traditionally a high income stereotype I imagine they will continue to live in security apartments and security carparks and tinted cars so will have little idea of what's around them! Of course, if residents actually engage with their community, they enjoy the mixture of backgrounds a place like Redfern has - which is why Redfern has already being highly gentrified outside of the public housing blocks. From memory you're on the Northern Beaches yeah? You probably still think Redfern is like it was a decade or two ago?
North shore. As for the bolded - turn it up. I have a mate who has bought an apartment in Redfern due to the speculation it is on the up, and it is a very long way from gentrified. He lives in redevelopment not far from the main drag and regularly has junkies shooting up below his back window. Won't park his car on the street even for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.

In 10 years he will make a killing, but until then ******* lol at 'enjoying the mixture of backgrounds a place like Redfern has'. Doesn't sound to me like you've ever been near the place. It's still one of the sketchiest suburbs in Sydney.

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
Well I've actually lived there, and it is "highly gentrified outside of the public housing blocks", as sections of Waterloo are becoming too. There are still junkies, as there are in Surry Hills, and you still get 'sketchy' types in some parts of the public housing blocks or around the parks/pubs/TABs next to them, but I only had one instance of feeling even slightly threatened and that was when someone who was in our group abused an aboriginal dude who was walking with his girl and apparently bumped the person in our group. It's basically like Melbourne's St. Kilda area, but most of the people walking the streets are closer to the northern-inner Melbourne hipster/yuppie stereotype, if you want to generalise.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Redfern still tops Sydney's crime statistics for domestic violence, property damage and robbery (amongst other things), and is high on the list with other things like drug crime and burglary. I lived in Elwood a few years ago and if Redfern is like St Kilda in 10 years then it will have come a long way.

Like I said, it's on the up but pretending it's already gentrified is a bit rich. The bottom line is that there's still huge differences in property values between Redfern and somewhere like Ultimo, and a plan like this isn't great for the residents of the latter.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really like the current NSW govt. They seem to be getting things done.

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
The bottom line is that there's still huge differences in property values between Redfern and somewhere like Ultimo, and a plan like this isn't great for the residents of the latter.
Except, of course, they're already connected by multiple roads and walk ways and would have this new development in between them anyway.

Do you actually think this is an issue in the slightest? "You are an odd fellow."

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The rail line does provide a bit of a divide between Surrey Hills/Redfern and the more expensive/upmarket Ultimo/Pyrmont area.

I don't think it is a massive issue. It was just a passing observation that it probably wouldn't be great for property prices in Ultimo if the two areas become more integrated.

Drugs are a huge problem in society.

Drugs are fun until it all goes wrong. We currently take the hard line and criminalise drugs and the soft line by supporting druggies in the community.

Drugs are not a criminal matter! It is a mental health or health issue.

We can not as a nation afford to have druggies who can not function, work, rob, whore themselves and become burdens on our police and health resources.

I would propose "all you can use" drug clinics in the country (away from cities and towns). When they want drugs, its there. When they want rehab, it's there.

It would put an end to druggies roaming the streets, stealing and falling through the gaps.

We have seen the rise of tattoos over the last 5-10 years.

Prior to the recent fad tattoos were the domain of bikies, criminals and whores. The recent fad has extended the list to want-to-be and the insecure like smokers of the past.

This fad will die hard but for the concept of a permanent tatt will be short lived. Tarts will become digital and can be changed in a daily basis.

The fad and social standing will be permanent but at least the tatt can change. No longer will ex boyfriends names, spelling mistakes and poor workmanship be an issue any more.

Better still, tattoo artist can charge the clientel time and time again!

JRoo

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2012
Yangon Myanmar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I did not say that. Total govt spending as % of gdp is less. However, Singapore government spending on healthcare is very low compared to Western countries and in most cases far superior. Just as the US govt spends a similar (and growing rapidly) % of gdp on healthcare as other western countries with worse results.

The same goes for education.

There is very little correlation between spending and outcomes.

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5948092

He said Singapore is currently spending about 1.6 per cent of the GDP on healthcare.

By 2016, it would go up to two per cent of GDP and by 2030 when the rapidly ageing population will be the biggest driver of rising expenditure going forward, healthcare spending may reach around 3.5 per cent of GDP, taking into account demographic changes and higher medical inflation

I did not say that.

You most certainty did, Pakistan does not spend more on on Health Care than Singapore!

Total govt spending as % of gdp is less.

No it is not!

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.TOTL.ZS

Health expenditure, total (% of GDP)

Total health expenditure is the sum of public and private health expenditure. It covers the provision of health services (preventive and curative), family planning activities, nutrition activities, and emergency aid designated for health but does not include provision of water and sanitation.
World Health Organization National Health Account database (see http://apps.who.int/nha/database/DataExplorerRegime.aspx for the most recent updates).

Pakistan- 2.5% of GDP
Singapore- 4.6% of GDP

JRoo

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2012
Yangon Myanmar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have seen the rise of tattoos over the last 5-10 years.

Prior to the recent fad tattoos were the domain of bikies, criminals and whores. The recent fad has extended the list to want-to-be and the insecure like smokers of the past.

This fad will die hard but for the concept of a permanent tatt will be short lived. Tarts will become digital and can be changed in a daily basis.

The fad and social standing will be permanent but at least the tatt can change. No longer will ex boyfriends names, spelling mistakes and poor workmanship be an issue any more.

Better still, tattoo artist can charge the clientel time and time again!

Defence force personnel over history would say hello at this point!

JRoo

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2012
Yangon Myanmar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think tanks like the IPA, CIS, McKell Institute, Australia Institute, etc. are vital to a dynamic political landscape in this country. It is important that they develop and promote radical concepts and outside-the-box thinking on both the left and right sides of the political spectrum.

Most of the stuff think tanks come up with will never make it into policy, but they start a debate and challenge people to get thinking about alternative solutions. When political parties are so focused on the small target and governing by opinion polls, you need groups out there that are not afraid to take on and promote controversial solutions to social problems. We need people challenging our leaders on the basis of ideas.

The one thing I do think needs to happen is for think tanks to be more transparent. The IPA has close links to influential figures like Gina Rinehardt. The McKell Insititute is run by Paul Howes. Senior politicians frequently appear as keynote speakers at events, personnel at the think tanks have close associations with political parties. Neither discloses their major donors.

When the ideas that these think tanks come up with are heavily promoted and discussed in the media, I think it is important to know who is funding them.

The IPA is as much a think tank as the ACTU.

The Liberal party was founded by the IPA to be their parliamentary voice in 1943 much like the ALP was founded by the ACTU to be their voice.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just because the IPA was one of the groups involved in the founding of the Liberal Party doesn't mean it's not a think tank. The McKell Institute has similar links to the ALP.

The important thing is that they are sources of ideas that may or may not be adopted by parties on their side of the political spectrum.

JRoo

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2012
Yangon Myanmar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just because the IPA was one of the groups involved in the founding of the Liberal Party doesn't mean it's not a think tank. The McKell Institute has similar links to the ALP.

The important thing is that they are sources of ideas that may or may not be adopted by parties on their side of the political spectrum.
They are a foundation member of the ALP like the IPA is in regards to the Liberal Party?

JRoo

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2012
Yangon Myanmar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was founded by senior members of the ALP, named after an ALP politician, and described itself at its launch as "the left-wing version of the IPA".

Was it an organisation that supported the foundation of a political party to be their parliamentary representative like the ACTU was for the ALP and the IPA is for the Liberal party?

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was it an organisation that supported the foundation of a political party to be their parliamentary representative like the ACTU was for the ALP and the IPA is for the Liberal party?

Their historical role is about as important in the present day as the historical role of the communist movement in the Labor Party.

In the present day, the relationship of the IPA and the Liberal Party is similar to the relationship between the McKell Institute and the ALP. This is something that senior members of the ALP openly acknowledge.

JRoo

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2012
Yangon Myanmar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Their historical role is about as important in the present day as the historical role of the communist movement in the Labor Party.

In the present day, the relationship of the IPA and the Liberal Party is similar to the relationship between the McKell Institute and the ALP. This is something that senior members of the ALP openly acknowledge.

Did you miss the break up of the ALP in regards to communists movement???

It is nothing like it comrade Liberal party member!

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It is nothing like it comrade Liberal party member!

Well when people like Paul Howes, who sits on both the ALP National Executive and the board of the McKell Institute, say "the McKell Institute is the left wing version of the IPA", then I will probably take his word for it over yours.

JRoo

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2012
Yangon Myanmar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well when people like Paul Howes, who sits on both the ALP National Executive and the board of the McKell Institute, say "the McKell Institute is the left wing version of the IPA", then I will probably take his word for it over yours.

I wouldn't take comrade Howes opinion over an inanimate carbon rod but you seem to comrade!

I will also take the Australian Electoral Commission word in regards to associated political groups over yours comrade Liberal party member.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wouldn't take comrade Howes opinion over an inanimate carbon rod but you seem to comrade!
I would think he would have an idea about the organisation he runs.

I will also take the Australian Electoral Commission word in regards to associated political groups over yours comrade Liberal party member.

Link? I haven't seen anything from the AEC that suggests the IPA has closer links to the Liberals than the McKell Institute does to the Labor Party. Both think tanks are closely associated with politicians.

Back