Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

A pic of the bump on the Higgins is needed
716366-aab333ac-26dd-11e4-9470-02da78966387.jpg

Wells was so fierce when he came back. Although relatively short in terms of games played, this was his best season in terms of playing contested footy.

This is the price of softness and failure.
With a message -
You've left the soft stuff behind with the Doggies,
You leave behind quite a few floggies.
You will bleed white and blue,
Be buggered when you're through.
You've dropped the red out of your strip,
The only red left is the blood that you drip.
You better be Good,
You cost us Greenwood.

On the front foot.

Daniel Wells is confident he can resume full training upon the players’ return to Melbourne.

The dynamic midfielder returned to training two weeks early for the club’s high altitude camp in Utah, and is desperate to make the most of his head-start.

“It’s always a great trip coming over to Utah,” Wells told NMFC.com.au. “Once you are over here, there’s no mucking around and you can really knuckle down on a few things.”

2014 was a challenging year, with a Lisfranc injury keeping Wells on the sidelines for 16 weeks.

Despite playing a vital role in the club’s finals’ success, he admits he’s still on the comeback trail.

“It’s still (his foot) a little bit sore, but it’s expected to be from the amount of pressure we put on it in the last six rounds that I played,” Wells said.

“This is normal. The club is not panicking. I’m not panicking. It’s just focusing on what I can focus on which is cross-training. I can still do skills, but nothing too over the top.”

North’s number eight hit the bike as his team-mates undertook a grueling conditioning session on Monday (Utah time), only enhancing his will to return.

“Watching the boys slugging it out today was great, and getting to know some of the younger ones, Kayne Turner and the like is one of the reasons I came over.”

The carat of success another driving factor heading into 2015.

“Especially with the players we’ve got in as well, with (Shaun) Higgins and (Jarrad Waite),” Wells added.

“The whole group has hopefully learnt from the last couple of years, and I’m not getting any younger so I want to make sure I can have an impact for the club next year.“

Interesting, and not a little disconcerting, to hear that he still needs to treat his feet with kid gloves. Gloves, feet, wtf?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like any decent footy from Wellsy from here on will be a bonus. Almost in the Narni bucket of "don't expect 20+ games".
Unfortunately I have the the same feeling.
The footy injury happened about 8 months ago. He took 16 weeks to recover from it. Played finals after that and now, 2 months later still feels sore? That is certainly a concern. Can it ever be 100% again? Does sound like 10-15 games per season is almost best case scenario for Wells from here...

Unfortunately I have the the same feeling.
The footy injury happened about 8 months ago. He took 16 weeks to recover from it. Played finals after that and now, 2 months later still feels sore? That is certainly a concern. Can it ever be 100% again? Does sound like 10-15 games per season is almost best case scenario for Wells from here...

I am not overly concerned. We are still just over 4 months away from round 1.

Even if they manage his pre season on delay, so that he is cherry ripe by round 5 onwards, he can come in fresh from then.

Injuries and chunkiness aside, what do people think Wellsy's form will be like this year? Well, actually, we probably can't put aside injuries as he may well continue to be affected. It's bad enough it's affected his pre-season.

I'm a bit concerned that it is Wellsy, not Boomer, whose form may possibly drop off sharply as he nears the end of his career. May not be this year - I certainly hope it isn't - but I could see it happening.

Will he be at his very best? Spasmodic? Start to decline?

Injuries and chunkiness aside, what do people think Wellsy's form will be like this year? Well, actually, we probably can't put aside injuries as he may well continue to be affected. It's bad enough it's affected his pre-season.

I'm a bit concerned that it is Wellsy, not Boomer, whose form may possibly drop off sharply as he nears the end of his career. May not be this year - I certainly hope it isn't - but I could see it happening.

Will he be at his very best? Spasmodic? Start to decline?
I think he will be at his best next season (injuries aside). Doesn't have to deal with the best tagger and against *essendon showed he can be a game changer. Less pressure = better Wells

Wellsy is all class, whether he is roaming the midfield or lurking up forward.

I was more worried by some of the inside exercises in the video:

1. someone accidentally standing on Wellsy's foot;
2. Wellsy doing an ankle on those upturned small cones.

Maybe I'm just a worrying kind of guy.

I think he will be at his best next season (injuries aside). Doesn't have to deal with the best tagger and against *essendon showed he can be a game changer. Less pressure = better Wells

Completely agree with this. ^^^^^^^

Suddenly clubs will just let him run loose until he beats a few up.

That report was 4 weeks ago but i am worried he will never get fit enough to be D Wells of old.

Fingers Crossed !!!!

Wells played some of the best footy of his career last season. Hopefully he can overcome his feet problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back