Hamish Hartlett

Remove this Banner Ad

22 Hamish Hartlett

11-02-2009049.jpg

Re: #22 Hamish Hartlett

Here comes Hamish.

Hamish Hartlett earns Port Adelaide debut
Andrew Capel, Adelaide | February 20, 2009 11:30pm

IN A week in which a host of first-round draft picks will make their NAB Cup debuts, Port Adelaide's Hamish Hartlett has set himself modest goals.

"I'm not expecting to set the world alight. Just getting a first touch of the ball will be fantastic," the Power's highest ever draft selection (No. 4) said yesterday.

Hartlett is among six 2008 first-round draftees being showcased in the four matches this weekend, along with Carlton's Chris Yarran, North Melbourne's Jack Ziebell, Sydney's Lewis Johnston, Geelong's Mitchell Brown and Hawthorn's Ryan Schoenmakers.

Fremantle's Stephen Hill and Brisbane's Daniel Rich were first-rounders who played last weekend, gaining 13 and 11 disposals respectively.

"After watching a few of the other first-round draft picks out there, I don't expect too much first-up," said Hartlett, who will line up against Sydney in Canberra tomorrow.

"I'm just looking forward to getting used to the pace of the game and getting that first touch."

Midfield dynamo Hartlett, 18, is ready to roll after a pre-season largely spent rehabilitating a reconstructed left shoulder. It was initially feared he would not be ready to play until the start of the home-and-away season.

"The shoulder's fine now," said Hartlett, who copped the injury playing for West Adelaide last year.

"It's almost seven months since the operation and it's almost back to full strength. I'm doing all the weights and all the contested work out there, so it's good. The (left) shoulder has never been as strong as the right one, but it's getting there."

Coach Mark Williams described Hartlett's work on the track as "brilliant" and expressed surprise at the strength of his overhead marking.

"He really does some good stuff in that regard, as well as his kicking and ball-finding ability," Williams said.

Hartlett, who missed last week's trials against Sturt and the Port Magpies with a minor hip injury, described playing his first game for the Power as "a huge thrill".

"It's a pretty hard team to crack, so to get rewarded with a game first-up is fantastic. It's a pretty big goal I've achieved," he said.

"I was really excited when I found out and when I put the guernsey on for the first time at training, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought, 'I could really get used to this'. It was a great feeling."

Hartlett said he expected to be used off the bench as a running half-forward/wingman/half-back.

Most importantly, he wants to walk off Manuka Oval a winner.

"The whole team is looking to start the year really strongly. We want to get a win on the board early, to get some confidence and consistency and strength into our game," he said.

in reagards to Dt, how would you guys see the battle between harlett and davenport for a spot in the side?

thanks in advance.

If choco has his way you'd think so, but it all depends on how he travels over the next 3 weeks. He had a bit of a limited pre-season due to the shoulders so he may play the first few rounds in the SANFL before playing AFL. But it's all speculation at this stage.

If choco has his way you'd think so, but it all depends on how he travels over the next 3 weeks. He had a bit of a limited pre-season due to the shoulders so he may play the first few rounds in the SANFL before playing AFL. But it's all speculation at this stage.
what hartletts status? was watching the game and they said he went off with a shoulder injury, the same one he had a reconstruction on.

what hartletts status? was watching the game and they said he went off with a shoulder injury, the same one he had a reconstruction on.

He's listed as 2 weeks, but that makes him all the more doubtfull for round 1.

Hamish "Poise" Hartlett.

I sincerely hope he goes on to become Poison Hartlett.. because he'll kill the opposition.

Hamish "Poise" Hartlett.

I sincerely hope he goes on to become Poison Hartlett.. because he'll kill the opposition.

The players call him the "Hammer" at training - he still might be able to kill the opposition with couple of well placed blows.

Yesterday when the ball was being moved quickly, he received it I think just inside our defensive 50, and shotgunned a ridiculous 50-55m kick that went straight to Boak's chest, point blank, and the pass didn't even reach a height higher than anyone's head on the ground. **** me.

One of the best kicks I've ever seen.

Perfection.

Yesterday when the ball was being moved quickly, he received it I think just inside our defensive 50, and shotgunned a ridiculous 50-55m kick that went straight to Boak's chest, point blank, and the pass didn't even reach a height higher than anyone's head on the ground. **** me.

One of the best kicks I've ever seen.

Perfection.

I said it before I'll say it again, from behind he reminds me of a young Nathan buckley, his body shape looks similar and that kick as well.

I hope he goes the same as Nathan :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what to the GC?

Urgh lets hope not, ok I'll reword it, I hope he become the player Nathan was with the Loyalty to Port Nathan had to the Pies. :)

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,25561531-5014673,00.html

Hamish Hartlett has heart set on greatness

Scott Walsh | May 30, 2009 11:30pm

ASK Hamish Hartlett about his long-term plans and his answer should come as a surprise.

"I want to become a great player," Hartlett says.

"I want to become one of the James Hirds, the Michael Vosses, the Nathan Buckleys of the footy world. I want to be the best that I can be.

"The ultimate goal is to win a flag and I think with the youth that we've got in our team, and the talent, that can come in the next couple of years."

A second premiership, maybe. But a Hird? A Voss? A Buckley?

They're names that roll off the tongue when talking champion status - Brownlow medallists, club captains, 200-game legends.

For an 18-year-old with five games under his belt to shoot for a place next to a generation's elite should sound wishful at best, arrogant at worst.

And perhaps it would from any less a talent.

But coming from Hartlett, taken with pick four in last year's draft, there is nothing dreamy or cocky about it.

"He's a kid who has enormous talent who wants to achieve everything," Power assistant Adam Kingsley said.

"He comes across as a very driven person, he wants to be the best and he certainly does everything to give himself the best opportunity to be the best in the short time he's been at the footy club.

"We're very excited at how he's going to develop and how good he's going to be. He's prepared to work hard and he wants to be a superstar."

Still 18 the kid is putting his impressive stamp on the competition.

It started with his debut, in Port's Round 4 win against Hawthorn at the MCG.

He gathered 23 disposals and held 11 marks, but his biggest impact came when he thumped 102kg Jarryd Roughead over the boundary line and sat him on his backside with a crushing hip-and-shoulder.

He visits the 'G again today, to face Collingwood fresh from a two-goal haul against Sydney, when he was a rare beacon on an otherwise gloomy day for the Power.

In a handful of appearances Hartlett has shown his bag of tricks is overflowing.

In attack, there is the obvious class in his disposal by hand and foot. In defence, there is the relentless chasing and pressuring that wins the praise of coaches and admiration of fans.

And, mentally, there is a maturity and poise that makes those who possess the quality to appear to slow down time.

But where does such touch and drive come from?

Besides the pedigree of his parents, Graham and Carol, Hartlett credits older brother and Carlton player Adam as his greatest influence.

The two are best mates despite a four-year age gap. They have matching tattoos, "Brothers by blood, mates by choice".

It's a sentiment built on countless hours in the backyard, swapping roles as the step-ladder and the superstar in make-believe mark of the year contests.

"It all comes back to the rivalry," Hartlett says with a laugh. "I hate losing and I'm sure the competitiveness stems from out in the backyard when we were kids.

"There was a lot of me standing up, Adam 5m behind and dad lobbing the ball on top of my head so Adam could take 'hangers'.

Then it was him kneeling down and me doing the same thing.

"We were always trying to out-do each other. I'm sure (Cornes brothers) Chad and Kane were the same, and (Burgoyne pair) Peter and Shaun.

"The rivalry is a good thing and it's made me strive to be a better footballer."

Adam's stop-start AFL experience has doubled as a trailblazing path for his brother. In his fifth season, injury has limited the 23-year-old to eight games for the Blues after he headed east with pick 25 at the 2004 national draft.

The younger Hartlett has learnt from the elder's misfortunes and has vowed to take no chances on his climb to greatness.

"It comes back to my body being able to repair for the following week," he said.

"If you cop a corky or whatever, and get out on the gas that night, you're not giving yourself the best chance to back up the next week.

"That really plays on my mind any time I go out. It all comes down to making sure of your body and your preparation."

He is still without an NAB Rising Star nomination.

Surprisingly, Voss was not nominated for the Rising Star award. Buckley won the accolade in its first season, in 1993, edging out Hird.

While that all-star trio is off in the distance, Hartlett's name would sit comfortably next to this year's young guns.

And if focus, drive and determination count for anything, Hartlett could yet be the best of the lot.

According to an SANFL footy forum, Hamish has glandular fever, so may not be able to train until after xmas. Really disappointing if this was true, as i was hoping he'd have a big pre season.

Is the talent gap between Hamish and Adam Hartlett the biggest gap between two AFL playing brothers ever? I would say so.

Matt and Brad Lloyd.

PTV: Hartlett's Draft Gauntlet

Hamish talking about getting drafted, which isn't all that exciting.

The exciting stuff is in the highlights. I had almost forgotten just how good this kid is. Hard to believe he was still only 18.

HH is back training - in the modified group.

He has lot a fair bit of weight and has the body size of a scrawny 17yo.

Whilst the rest of the boys are on a break - Hamish has been training 3 times a week for 2 hours a time according to a mutual friend. Mainly running.

He wants to be able to be in a good a condition as possible when the main group begins training next month.

Whilst the rest of the boys are on a break - Hamish has been training 3 times a week for 2 hours a time according to a mutual friend. Mainly running.

He wants to be able to be in a good a condition as possible when the main group begins training next month.

Personally all AFL players should be in the off season if they take their "job" seriously, but good on him, I as long as he doesn't push himself to hard.

Hamish's view is that he already had an extended break towards the end of the regular season.

He had an extended break during the whole year lol Seriously, good on him, I think 99% of us here can see he has the goods, I hope the medical staff and Hamish can get it all together and he can stay sound.

I WOULD LOVE to see him play 18 games this year.

Our team could almost be summarised by saying this: Gray and Hamish play 18-22 games each next season we will go close to playing finals in not playing finals IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back