Hamish Hartlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally all AFL players should be in the off season if they take their "job" seriously, but good on him, I as long as he doesn't push himself to hard.
do you take holidays/annual leave from work?
do you take your job seriously and go to work through this period?

footballers are allowed to take a break too :)

do you take holidays/annual leave from work?
do you take your job seriously and go to work through this period?

footballers are allowed to take a break too :)

I'm not a professional athlete. But if I was, I would keep a level of fitness up even during the "break", this attitude probably what differentiate's the super players with the good to average players.

It's like players complaining about booze during the season. If I was an AFL footy player and was asked by the coaches not to drink during the season I would drop it like a hot potatoe, which flies in the face of 90% of Aussies.

All this comes down to work ethic and dedication.

But to answer your question on my breaks I still work, I can't remember how many work calls I fielded last January whilst I was fishing on my boat :)

Yeah it is an interesting topic. When I am on break I try as hard as buggery to have absolutely nothing to do with work, even to the point that I don't carry my work mobile with me at all for at least some portion of any break I have. And if I was fishing I'd be hard pressed to take a call from family let alone some bloody customer :eek::D....poor form Rick, fishing is more important than bloody customers lol.

The mental 'break' is just as important as anything else. However being a professional entertainment athlete does mean you have a responsibility to some extent to keep in reasonable shape.

It was interesting to see how Geelong performed this year. From reports their 'senior' players were allowed to have an extended break from the club and weren't required to attend preseason training until after the new year - or something along those lines.

Apparently the coaching staff believed that their core senior players were responsible enough to look after themselves and come back to preseason training in goodish nick.

As soon as I heard that I thought it would impact on them. It smacked of less hunger to go again and do the hard yards but I do understand that there is a need to manage the 'older' players physical and mental condition.

Phht that's exactly right it is poor form to answer calls fishing, especially one call when I was winding in a gar and had to pass it over to my son lol

But these players have an obligation to themselves to keep their core fitness up 12 months a year. Getting fat over the off season to work it off during pre season means they will already be behind the 8 ball so to speak.

But these players have an obligation to themselves to keep their core fitness up 12 months a year. Getting fat over the off season to work it off during pre season means they will already be behind the 8 ball so to speak.

Yep, I agree 100%. I think that with each year poor form or inability to sustain prformance through along season is linked to the quality of a peseason (or 2 even). And players need to make sure that they are able to 'go' from day 1 in preseason rather than having to spend valuable time getting to a minimum stndard initially. Injury rehab of course is a factor but otherwise every player should be expected to maintain certain levels of fitness throughout the year.

Yep, I agree 100%. I think that with each year poor form or inability to sustain prformance through along season is linked to the quality of a peseason (or 2 even). And players need to make sure that they are able to 'go' from day 1 in preseason rather than having to spend valuable time getting to a minimum stndard initially. Injury rehab of course is a factor but otherwise every player should be expected to maintain certain levels of fitness throughout the year.

I guess that's why they are called Atheletes :)

I think Kane runs everyday, regardless of footy. Geez I envy his dedication to fitness :)

The players are all expected to arrive for pre season training with a minimum standard of fitness. They are tested on their return from holidays.

Hartlett's hoping to have a big year in 2012:

Link

Hartlett's breaking out
PORT Adelaide midfielder Hamish Hartlett says 2012 could be his breakout season.

Recurring hamstring injuries have restricted the 21-year-old since he was picked at No.4 in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft, but after averaging 21 disposals a match in 2011 and with his best pre-season behind him, Hartlett is full of optimism.

"I still don't think I played my best football last year," he said despite winning the Power's Wanganeen Medal for the club's best player under 21 years.

"I've had a great pre-season and I've had a good couple of years of solid training, so I'm really hoping I can expand on last season and play some of my best footy.

"I expect to get the best out of myself this year."

Link

The tiser has followed up...

Hartlett finally fit to play a full season
by: Andrew Capel
February 15, 2012 12:00AM
link

184458-hamish-hartlett.jpg

HAMISH Hartlett has declared he is finally ready to deliver on his prodigious talent.

One of three Port Adelaide players who SA football legend Graham Cornes says is capable of winning a Brownlow Medal, Hartlett said his fragile body is feeling "fantastic" and he is on track for a breakout year.

"Certainly as far as soft tissue and hamstrings and that sort of stuff are concerned this is the best I've felt since I've been at the club," Hartlett revealed.
link

#8 HAMISH HARTLETT

21 / 184 / 80

231924.jpg

SANFL Stats:
Games: 1
Disposals: 17
Disposal Efficiency: 88.2
Marks: 6
Clearances: 0
Tackles: 0
Inside50: 1
Rebound50: 3
Goals: 0
Best Players: 0

VOTES:
BigFooty: 174 (3rd)
Port: 7 (=7th)
Macca19: 69 (6th)
Rookie: 239 (1st)

AFL Stats:
Games: 16
Disposals: 333
Disposal Efficiency: 70.5
Marks: 71
Contested Marks: 7
Clearances: 39
Tackles: 68
Inside50: 41
Rebound50: 44
Contested Possession: 141
Goals: 8
Goal Assists: 4
Best Players: 11

Notes:
* 7th Disposals
* 9th Marks
* 8th Clearances
* 5th Tackles
* 6th inside 50s
* 6th Rebounds 50s
* 4th Contested Possessions

After an impressive debut year in 2009 and an injury riddled year in 2010, Hamish had his break through year of AFL football in 2011, playing in 16 consecutive matches before succumbing to a shoulder reconstruction late in the season. Playing across the half back line and through the centre, Hamish impressed with his ability to both find the ball and use it efficiently to leading targets further up the field. His year was rewarded with being named the 2011 BigFooty Young Gun of the Year.

Shoulder issues stopped him from playing full time in the midfield after injuring it numerous times throughout the season. He played through the pain and made the best players in 11 of his 16 matches. He had purple patches of form both early and late, rating high in the best players in Rounds 5 & 6, and Rounds 15, 16 & 19. His best game of the year was his 32 disposal, 7 mark effort off a back flank against St Kilda. His 23 disposal, 2 goal game from the midfield against the Gold Coast in Round 5 was equally as good.

He seemed disinterested in the middle section of the year, losing form and struggling to impact, but his finish to the season was excellent. He went in for shoulder sugery after the Collingwood match in Round 20.

Hamish is one of the clubs top end talents. With impressive balance, ability and foot skills, its really up to Hamish how far he succeeds at AFL level. If he can get his body right, he could become one of the premier midfielders in the competition.

5bd1ev.jpg

Previous History
2009 – 21st
2010 – 25th

Hartlett to lead Power youth
by: Michelangelo Rucci
March 01, 2012 12:19PM
link

614523-hamish-hartlett.jpg

HAMISH Hartlett is primed to lead Port Adelaide for the first time as the Power relies on youth this weekend.

Hartlett, a new member of captain Dom Cassisi's leadership group at Alberton this season, is to be put in charge of a raw squad to play West Coast in WA on Saturday.

link

What a guy.

Hartlett To Captain
by: Andrew Rutter
March 02, 2012 10:46 AM
link

hamishNAB-cycler.jpg

The classy South Australian has played 31 AFL games since his debut in 2009, including 16 appearances last season when he largely overcame injuries that limited his opportunities previously.

Announcing Hartlett’s appointment to the club’s leadership group in February, coach Matthew Primus acknowledged the respect he had earned from his team-mates through his approach to pre-season.

link

Just a follow on from the previous story.

Hartlett declares he's staying at Port Adelaide! :thumbsu:

Link

Hamish Hartlett stays loyal to Port Adelaide

000101-hamish-hartlett.jpg

PORT Adelaide's signing spree is set to continue with Hamish Hartlett pledging his loyalty to the Power.

Out of contract at season's end, Hartlett - Port's best player on Sunday - revealed to The Advertiser: "I certainly don't plan on moving anytime, that's for sure."

As a result, the 21-year-old young gun is on the verge of inking a two-year deal, joining captain Dom Cassisi, promising forward John Butcher and key defenders Jackson Trengove and Alipate Carlile in committing to the Alberton cause.

Link

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And now it's official!

Link

Hartlett Inks New Deal

hartlettsigns-news.jpg

Port Adelaide midfielder Hamish Hartlett has confirmed his commitment to the club by signing a contract extension.

This comes just a week after captain Dom Cassisi re-signed with Port Adelaide ensuring he will be a one-club player.

Link

Originally posted by Macca19

11th #8 HAMISH HARTLETT

65 Votes

257674.jpg

VOTES:
BigFooty: 65 (11th)
Port: 9 (12th)
Toots: 6 (27th)
Rookie: 90 (4th)

AFL Stats:
Games: 15
Disposals: 297
Marks: 59
Contested Marks: 10
Clearances: 34
Tackles: 66
Inside50: 41
Rebound50: 43
Contested Possession: 134
Goals: 5
Goal Assists: 1
Best Players: 5

Notes:
Hamish had another season that was interrupted due to soft tissue injuries, missing 7 matches for the season. When on the park, Hamish continued his development, playing some genuinely first class matches. Hamish’s number one issue is consistency. At times – like against St Kilda and Carlton – he looks elite. At other times he struggles with decision making and cant work himself into the game. Confidence in his body will go some way to fixing that. The club needs Hamish to stay fit and develop into the midfielder we know he can be, as opposed to the defender he currently gets played as.

* 2011 Young Gun of the Year

hartlett.jpg

Hamish the jet is set for take off with his best pre-season behind him and his body adapting to the rigours of AFL football.

Hamish Hartlett primed to live up to his potential
753728-hamish-hartlett.jpg

HE is "The Jet" who is too often grounded.
But now Hamish Hartlett says he is ready to show why he carries the mantle of being Port Adelaide's highest draft pick.
Having played just 46 of a possible 88 games since being drafted at No. 4 in 2008, Hartlett is physically better prepared to make an impact on the AFL than at any time in his career.
Hamish Hartlett primed to live up to his potential

Hamish doesn't mind being tagged...

Link

Hartlett happy with attention

282930-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

WITH so many players in red-hot form, Port Adelaide star Hamish Hartlett says his side is proving hard to stop.
Hartlett has traditionally put up with close attention from opposition sides and that has remained so in 2013, but unlike in years past the Power have a host of players in form and capable of picking up the slack.

Skipper Travis Boak, Kane Cornes, Brad Ebert, Justin Westhoff and Chad Wingard all join Hartlett in averaging more than 20 disposals a game this year.

The 22-year-old said the side's depth ensured its midfield was tough to contain.

Link

Originally posted by Macca19

6th. – 126 Votes

#8 HAMISH HARTLETT

391211.jpg

VOTES:

BigFooty: 126 (6th)

Port: 132 (8th)

Toots: 86 (3rd)

AFL Stats:
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/H/Hamish_Hartlett.html

History
2011 – Young Gun Winner

Notes:
Review by TeeKray
Hamish had an up and down 2015. He was often serviceable in his role across half back and pushing up to the wing but seemed to be less damaging, particularly with his kicking inside 50. His tally of 9 goals was well short of his 21 from 2014. He did however record a personal best for disposals in a season and played every game for the first time in his too often injury interrupted career. He saved his best football for late in the season with a near career best game in the wet against Gold Coast the clear highlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back