Senior 8. Jake Kolodjashnij (2014-)

Remove this Banner Ad

At 192cm and a reasonable athlete wonder if he could transition into the midfield , perhaps as a tagger?

may still be growing though, reminded me a little of Ben Reid when he was drafted, he was listed at 193cm and 94kg and grew to around 195cm and 100kg so young Jake could end up being a similar size.

The Reids and Browns are not yet together.
Not the norm for it to happen.

Perhaps not the norm but it will be far more likely ie possible when one is at GC than Ess for instance. If he is unhappy being away from Jake or struggle to break in........ Helloooooo

Having said that , Geelong rarely is that emotional when recruiting. It would be don on a need basis and quality of player etc. Two years time and we might not be in a position to get a deal done even if we want to.

Wasn't CS selected way ahead of Brad?
Brad may have been rookied, via Hawthorn iirc.
CS was a rising star nom??
Or am I just confabulating here?
Somewhere in my memory bank, I have this notion that CS was the esteemed player, and later the Lions sought BS as well, to have the full set. Brad ended up being more than serviceable too.

Yeah, don't think they even went the same year (think Chris may have even won his Rising Star before Brad had been picked up). I assume they were at Ranges at the same time, but Chris must have been a significantly better prospect. I remember Brad going to Hawthorn (and being decent) before finally finding his way to Brisbane, but by that time, Chris had won a B&F (which Brad never did) and had been one of Brisbane's top half dozen or so players for about five years. By the time they were winning premierships they seemed to be about on par in the pecking order, playing pretty different roles (Chris pretty much a permanent back pocket and Brad pushing into the middle) and Brad probably became the better player in the final years of their careers together, where injuries were hampering Chris and he sometimes struggled to even get on the park.

I think he will become a KPD, just watched the meet the draftees video on the afl website and he was as tall as McCarthy and didn't look monstered by Boyd. Hamling, Kolodjashnij + (a KPD 197cm+) with a first pick next year and our backline structure could be set for the next decade.

Surely GFC have a list in order of who they will take before the draft starts. No point sitting down and discussing the issue with a minute or two to discuss who you will take when it comes your time.

If we wanted Jones and he was gone GFC would have simply put a line thru the name and then selected their next pick. They could have had Dunstan, Dumont, Crouch, Acres, Taylor - and they would have been prepared for this and chose Land instead.

The only question is would they have taken Jones before Lang ? We will never know until Wells tells us.

What we can say without any shadow of doubt Wells rated Lang higher than Dumont, Dunstan, Acres and Taylor - which surprised many of us. But what is not surprising is that he surprised us again in his first pick.

I remember the commotion around the Mackie pick. Another first round pick people, including the media, could not believe it. Who was this Mackie guy ? He looked very ordinary for 2-3 years and since then slowly blossomed and I think had his best season this year at 28 years old.

In the first 2 years you would have said Wells made an error selecting Mackie but the facts, the stats and the media all now say he was a really good first round pick.

And I reckon Kola has had a better pre-draft write up than Mackie ever had - so he could be a good thing.

In any draft, no matter who you are - and including Wells, you cannot always get it right and who you really want. My guess is that had we had pick 1 we would have gone for Boyd or Kelly like the other recruiters. But when you have pick 15, 16, 17 or 18 well it gets harder picking the best talent.

If we get even one really good footy player from these 3 draft picks then Wells has done well IMO. If we get 2 he has done bloody well and if all 3 turn out to be very good players that is exceptional picking. People need to be patient and wait 3 years then make their assessment on this year's ND picks.

Look at Bartel, Enright and Ablett Jnr. On their first 2-3 years you would be saying they were just ok picks ! Two Brownlow medalists and the best HBF we have ever had ! That is how things can change and people forget that because we tend to think so short term.

For goodness sake some on this Board wanted Hawkins traded and he was instrumental in winning us a GF when our CHF went down early in the game.

Wells is so good I am pretty sure at least one of these new guys will make and be considered a very good player and play 200 senior games. That is good enough for me re drafting.

Onto the Rookie draft where I hope we get Bundy Jnr.

Onwards an upward.

Could we develop Guthrie or Thurlow into a inside mid or a tagger and let Jake play in the back pocket/back flank?

I was thinking exactly that!......he's a quick mover and sizes up his options with time to spare, could be a likely type as a third tall defender playing backflank like Harley did.
Didn't Jackson Thurlow come from Launceston, ideally they might buddy him up a little with young Jake.
I reckon this kid's going to be better than many think.

Consider this as a an outrageous possibility -

Guthrie Blicavs * Kolodjashnij

Thurlow Taylor Bews

We have height, speed, marking prowess, good decision makers and good kicks. Not all but most have these attributes or at least some.

If you want replace Blicavs with Hamling *. Just add another year to the scenario.

That could be a gun backline. Without Scarlett we will never have as good as backline we had earlier in the century but then again no one else will either.

To me GFC are building a faster running side that can still take a mark and have some body size.

The way footy is evolving that for me is a smart move. That is why Blicavs, if he makes, with his height and endurance, could really add to this side. But time will tell if he can keep improving to be a real best 22.

I heard the radio announcer this morning pronounce the name - supposedly correctly - "KOLLA-DASH-NEE". What will we end up calling him, "Dasher" or "Kolla"?

It's definitely pronounced 'Kolla/Kollar - dash - nee'.

His nickname on social media is 'Jake_Kola'. SJ tells me his playing nickname is 'Dutchy', even though his surname isn't dutch.

may still be growing though, reminded me a little of Ben Reid when he was drafted, he was listed at 193cm and 94kg and grew to around 195cm and 100kg so young Jake could end up being a similar size.

Height is a tough one for key defenders. JK listed at the same height as Scarlett and 1cm shorter than Taylor. The ruckman (Hale!) got Scarlett every now and then, Taylor has been able to negate the taller KP forwards like Tippett ok. We'll just have to wait and see his style of play in the VFL to judge whether he is KPP material or a Mackie/Rivers.

Just watched the footage for the 1st time. 1st impression is that for some reason he looks to me like he will be a monster when he hits the gym properly... something about his legs I think it must be.

Height is a tough one for key defenders. JK listed at the same height as Scarlett and 1cm shorter than Taylor. The ruckman (Hale!) got Scarlett every now and then, Taylor has been able to negate the taller KP forwards like Tippett ok. We'll just have to wait and see his style of play in the VFL to judge whether he is KPP material or a Mackie/Rivers.

yep spot on and it usually helps to have those long arms like Taylor so although only 6ft'4 and a bit, that reach enables him to compete with resting rucks and he usually passes that test comfortably on most occasions.
Sort of highlights the genius of Scarlett doesn't it?
Only 192 in stature but you would struggle to think of a stronger body at his size who ever played the game and he was also compact in body shape, didn't have long legs or arms....makes me smile every time I remember him as a player :) (we saw one of the best of the lot and we usually took him for granted)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see his nickname ending up as Pepsi…. as in the other Cola…..:cool:

Thank you… thank you very much…. don't forget to tip your waiters...

Go Catters

I could see his nickname ending up as Pepsi…. as in the other Cola…..:cool:

Thank you… thank you very much…. don't forget to tip your waiters...

Go Catters

Are you here all week?

Out of our 3 drafts I'm probably the most excited about this kid.

Well good on you!....From latest reports he's now 194cm, probably having a final spurt of growth, should top out at 195/6cm.
The brother Kade was 189 but lately now 192, a photo of them the other day shows Jake about 3cm taller I'd say, so yeah he's definately a very nice size already.

I've also got a soft spot for him being the lesser considered of the two but the kid seems very humble in demeanor, a great core ingredient for ultimate success, one to watch! :thumbsu:

quigley is not impressed

49 West Coast

With Glass nearing the end I could see them getting some insurance for any injury that MacKenzie and Brown might suffer. There has been some talk of JK going as high as 20 but I do not really understand why. He is a good athlete but is a bit undersized and has not really shown all that much. Around this stage of the draft though he would be a solid pick.

Jake Kolodjashnij
DOB 9/8/95 Ht 193 Wt 87

Jake is the twin of Kade and the question that the team who takes Kade will need to consider is whether to take Jake as well. It would certainly help settle Kade in you would think and if a team actually needed FB prospect then you could do worse than take JK who is a reasonable prospect himself. One thing that would have a bearing on the decision for me, if I was making it, was the amount that KK improved when he was called up to the AIS. His confidence skyrocketed and so did his play. Given the familial similarities it would be not be stretching things too far to suggest that a similar spike could happen to Jake if he was selected and the light went on for him. The tools look to be in place for him.

Jake is about three cms taller and 10kgs heavier than his brother and will be a key position at AFL level. He has a much more solid frame and looks like he will have a fair bit of bulk about him by the time he has finished his development. He is a very similar athlete to his brother though and the only real differences could be attributed to the additional weight that JK is carrying. He is about 0.1 seconds slower than his brother over the first 5m and apart from that his speed is virtually identical. Overall Jake's pace is fine but a bit of work could be done to improve his explosiveness. He is an excellent leap finishing 4th in the right foot jump and 6th in the left foot jump and in the top 15 of the standing jump. His agility is also excellent for a key position prospect finishing just outside the top 20% and similarly for the 3km. He ran over 14.2 in the beep as well which is good for a KPD prospect.

These tests pretty much reflect his game play. Maybe a tad slow off the mark but overall his speed seems good enough to stay with most key forwards. His turning circle is good and he stays with his man pretty comfortably on changes of direction. With the ball in the air he is not beaten very often and covers bigger opponents pretty well. He also plays games out well and it is rare for his opponent to run him into the ground.

Kolodjashnij has played some time up forward but I don't see that as an option at AFL level. When I saw him playing that role for Tasmania he was well and truly overshadowed by his brother, Nankervis and even Fox. He offered very little and didn't really seem able to impose himself on the game.

Down back he can be a bit invisible as well but importantly he has the ability to make his opponent similarly fade out of the game. He is a defensive minded KPD who does not get involved in a lot of his team’s forward movement. I would suggest that he will need to focus on this more at the next level. He is a strong mark and spoil of the ball and has good instincts about when to do what. Kolodjashnij has a good ability to keep a tight rein on his man whilst not losing sight of what is happening up the field. If something happens which requires him to react he can. JK is a bit slim hipped but seems to have good strength through the core and controls his man pretty well in body on body situations.

The difference in skill level between he and his brother is quite large. Jake is not the decisive decision maker that his brother is and can dither a bit when he gets the ball. Against and AFL forward press this could be a terminal problem and it is an area that he needs to improve. By foot he lacks some zip and whilst his kicks are not particularly loopy they do take quite a while to get to their intended targets. His ability to weight his kicks to hit targets where they want them is also quite poor and he regularly bounces his kicks to targets. Overall he seems to lack confidence in his kicking and this is reflected in a K:H ratio of almost 1:2. The funny thing is that his handball technique is not much better than his kicks. He has a bit of a throwing handball style rather than punching through it and his handballs like his kicks end up lacking zip.

Still with his skills I am looking at his brother and thinking what could be with some work and confidence. I have little doubt that they will improve significantly once he gets to the next level and with the athleticism he possesses and the general defensive skill set I think he is worth a punt with a lower pick.

Reading that it could almost be a carbon copy of Domsy just needs to grow a few more cm's

I did not expect Kola to be quite as big as stated here. Originally I read 192 cm - Mackie type size.

But now I read either 193 or 194 cm (not sure which still may have to wait until GFC release their stats). But if indeed he grows 1-2 cm he may end up at close to 195 cm (Hamling 194 cm). So if this would occur and he gets his muscle up to go from 90 kgs to say 95 kgs - he may yet be an option as a KPB.

That would help us a bit as we will need 2-3 choices as Lonergan replacement. So maybe Hmaling, Kola and Blicavs. If you have 3 genuine options (which is not the case presently) we would likely find a decent replacement.

Could we develop Guthrie or Thurlow into a inside mid or a tagger and let Jake play in the back pocket/back flank?

CS has mentioned several times they see Guthrie moving into midfield. I definitely think he could play as a tagger. It would give us more options there and take some pressure off Hunt to do the job almost single-handed.
Thurlow played a bit of midfield in the VFL through the year so that's also a possibility. He looks more like a Mackie type to me so could play on a wing perhaps? Flexibility to cover different match ups and/or injuries is a good thing, if not a necessity.
Whether JK develops into a genuine key back or more 3rd tall though, we'll have to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back