Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

For the public statement it made to all bomber fans I'm still really glad he changed his mind and stayed. It was a tumultuous time and him sticking fat was a boost when we needed it.

Cheers Licha. Hopefully it isn't the end, but if it is, your last contract signed for the club was one that had a great impact regardless of the games it included.

I thought we had a legitimate reason to call for him to go on one more year. It hasn't worked out. Some of our young forwards are showing plenty (Langford, Fantasia, even Laverde off 1 game looks promising) - we'll definitely just use it as a chance to give them a go at AFL level. Its a shame about Winderlich but his whole career has been a bit like this. He was never a player i expected to play 22 games in his last year.

It probably is the end of his playing - and maybe its for the best before he does something that will ruin his post football life. But we shall see how it all unfolds. Maybe down the track he will make it back. I've liked the idea of him being played as a super sub even before this injury so who knows.

I love Winders, always have. When his body wasn't failing him, he was a fantastic player. Many fond memories.
However, his wages for next year are probably part of the "get Dangerfield fund".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can still play an impact role for us if we make finals. Imagine this guy playing with Cooney and Chappy down there, could be very dangerous.

Last edited:
I'd say in the case of someone with an injury history like that of Winderlich, the 8 weeks will become 10 at least due to being conservative.
It's not like a normal injury with predictable recovery times. 8 could just as easily become 20

No need to anymore with Gwilt and Pears as depth.

Is Pears as good as I remember him btw?
Rather good attacking defender pretty close to lock 22?
Been that long.. didnt keep much of an eye on him.

No chance he plays in 2016 unfortunately I reckon. :(

Not after almost leaving last year as is. Hopefully would coach somewhere. Too bad smarts like his cant be taught.

Replies bolddeded.

Steady on with the obituaries. If he can get fit for finals he can still have a role to play this year if he comes back in the second half. He was never going to play the whole year anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back