Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he staying now, haven't heard anything on the news? ie I guess players staying at Essendon isn't news worthy

Don't you know?

This is "his club". Club legends like Fletcher can **** off, according to him.
how can someone who frequently visits this board, so therefore obviously is across most of this issue (as best as ya can be) not want hird at the club? baffles me! he clearly took a fall for the poor decisions at the top of the football department.. which he was not, and can not be expected be know absolutely everything, including individual suppliments given to his players and the "legality" surrounding said suppliments. he is there to coach and communicate with his players, not be a biochemist with a degree in sports science. the CLUB and BOARD, not Hird, are in charge of who works at the club and what there role is. if you believe hird was the ring leader of the systematic doping program at our club and that bomber is completely innocent and should coach over Hird, you are as misguided as the blind public who believe what the main stream media are spewing on any given day.

Last edited:

I'd read it this way as it puts a softer light on the events of the last few weeks;
Board doesn't want to appeal and doesn't want Hird to appeal (fair call)
Hird appeals and the club gets shirty (well within their rights)
Hird exercises his right to justice (well within his rights)
Board says reluctantly, "yeah i guess". (good decision)

Meanwhile, Bomber gets told Hirds leaving and so puts his cards on the table (fair enough)
Hirds not leaving so Bomber looks the villain (bad luck)

End result is that Bomber decided that he wants to coach at the AFL level and we can't offer that. He will go his way and i don't really see why there should be hard feelings on any side.

Fact is, no board of any organization is going to cruise through waters as muddy as this...
A very generous assessment....I'm inclined to believe that the Little-Hird relationship is slightly less cordial than you portray it.

Even allowing for the difficulty and size of the challenge they have faced, I do not believe the club has been well served by its board, either under Evans or Little.

The Herald Sun also reported that James Hird wouldn't be our coach on Monday night.. it is now Thursday morning.. and he is still our coach..

I would suggest to you that this is more about EFC politics than about Winders wanting to play at your club.

He may well end up with you next year.. but I wouldn't put money on it.

As I said.. if Hird stays.. so does Winderlich.
Hmmm.. yeah.. particularly loving that Winders choose Richmond to troll.. #mostprofessionaltrolleva

#shityousaycauseitisthetruth

Oh Ralphy he never seizes to amaze.

How long a few days are in the football world.

It seemed only days ago Winderlich, Howlett and Hird were all no chance of being at the red and black next year, however it seems all now will.

Howlett resigning (Means great things for Hirdy)
Winderlich to play for the red and black (Another massive tick for Hirdy)

Also since we have Hirdy we have been proactive and aggressive with getting guys like Goddard, Chapman and a list of names this year (Unfortunately the board placed us in a poor position to get any) but we were all aligned with Membrey, Cooney, Jaksch, L.Jones? , M.Clark, Giles ect at some point in time. Its great to hear someone like Hird say we need to find ruckman and forward depth - Forever it has been too long since we have been chasing players and active in the trade period (Was a massive dead 5-10 yr period where supporters gave up hope of landing something - Now they almost expect someone. Forever has it been too long that what we have ended up trading for and drafting in the past is what we already have a plethora of, finally someone (Hird) is thinking along the same path as myself into what we need.

Anyway point of this thread is Winderlich. Anyone feel that we couldve been seeing what the AFL would compensate for losing both Ryder and Winderlich together are potentially commonsense thought that a pick behind our original pick in the draft order based on ladder position was potentially a reason for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"It means... Leroy Jetta sleeps with the fishes."
0.jpg

Now just waiting on Fletch to do the same.

My biggest concern would be scenario two (which I said on Tuesday) where the club waits for players to sign up.. members to sign up and then knifes Hird to avoid the backlash...

I am hoping, for once, we can trust the Board to do the right thing.

This is obvious - Unless a miracle happens, some players will take deals and Hird is out the door - I am certain this will be a trigger clause in his contract - How could you think otherwise.

This is obvious - Unless a miracle happens, some players will take deals and Hird is out the door - I am certain this will be a trigger clause in his contract - How could you think otherwise.
The only thing might be if the clause is specific to players getting banned after the evidence is heard in front of a tribunal rather than simply a deal where ASADA's case isn't tested. If so I think it would be good for the club to let the media know now what will happen in various scenarios so it doesn't seem like the board is copping out again if they don't remove Hird when a player accepts a deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back