The Law 82 year old Australian Entertainer arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

You missed the point. Rolf's lawyers demanded papers not mention his name with specific reference to Leveson. Coogan and his idiot mates should dwell on that.
Not sure why that reference would have influenced a court more than anything else.

Not sure why that reference would have influenced a court more than anything else.

Not the courts. People came forward once his name was mentioned in the press. No doubt his lawyers realised that may happen and hence tried very hard to suppress it.

Not the courts. People came forward once his name was mentioned in the press. No doubt his lawyers realised that may happen and hence tried very hard to suppress it.
Nah, you're drawing tenuous links in order to bolster the case of your hobby horse of defending Rupert Murdoch's media empire.

Nah, you're drawing tenuous links in order to bolster the case of your hobby horse of defending Rupert Murdoch's media empire.

It was specifically referred to in correspondence. That isn't tenuous. It is blatant. Are you seriously happy for paedos to hide behind press regulation just in order that ALL the press (not just Murdoch) is punished?

Rolf Harris would have received a lighter sentence if Hacked Off had their way. Do you seriously not have an issue with this?

Apparently most of the charges were " indecent assault". Obviously its a charge which can be very broadly applied.

Its like a charge of "assault" I guess. You could slap someone or beat them within inches of their lives. Unless you know all the details it would be hard to choose the appropriate penalty.

In Victoria, offences which are now classified as rape such as digital penetration were classified as indecent assaults until relatively recent years. It may be the same situation here, making them relatively high end indecent assaults.

In Victoria, offences which are now classified as rape such as digital penetration were classified as indecent assaults until relatively recent years. It may be the same situation here, making them relatively high end indecent assaults.

There have been a number of cases in the UK in recent times with some questionable sentencing (or worse as below) with respect of sexual offence cases.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ds-of-sex-offenders-escape-with-cautions.html

Almost 1,500 sex offenders were let off with a caution last year in what campaigners criticised as a “wholly inappropriate” and “worrying” trend.

There have been a number of cases in the UK in recent times with some questionable sentencing (or worse as below) with respect of sexual offence cases.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ds-of-sex-offenders-escape-with-cautions.html

Almost 1,500 sex offenders were let off with a caution last year in what campaigners criticised as a “wholly inappropriate” and “worrying” trend.

It really bugs me when its the police who don't do it. They shouldn't get to choose.
One bad scenario is when laws ( not necessarily the type we are discussing ) are overly harsh, but it doesn't matter because its never policed.
So penalties for the crime are , nothing, nothing, nothing, then randomly "massive punishment".
Then the opposite can occur.
They need to get the laws right, then police them impartially.

When there is a history of sex offenders getting off lightly it them makes it easier for those who are penalized substantially to appeal for a lighter sentence.

I can remember a story from a long time ago. I think it was JFK receiving " best birthday present ever" when Bobby put a couple of ( I think ) 14 year olds in his bed. Someone made the claim, but it was pre-internet days, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the surface now. But JFK certainly made Bill Clinton look positively puritan in comparison.

Not sure that Townsend actually assaulted anyone but he was busted downloading stuff.
Bill Wyman, in his 40's "dated" 14 year old Mandy Smith with her mothers approval, and married her as soon as he legally could. No complaints from Mandy so I guess its OK.

Garry Glitter was probably the worst of them, living in Thailand for a while for the obvious reason.

Of course there were plenty of young "groupies" who hung around rock bands who never did anything against their will, or complained. I wonder if some of the aging rock stars now wonder if some of them are now ticking time bombs from a legal point of view. ( or maybe they were just paid off long ago ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back