Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheesh, I almost feel sorry for Goddard... it's going to be tough for him to meet the sort of expectations being thrown around on here.

He's a very good footballer, but he's not a fecking magician. For all we know, he could turn out to be one of the great flops in AFL transfer history... I don't think that'll actually happen, but it easily could.

Counting chickens, etc etc...

Sheesh, I almost feel sorry for Goddard... it's going to be tough for him to meet the sort of expectations being thrown around on here.

He's a very good footballer, but he's not a fecking magician. For all we know, he could turn out to be one of the great flops in AFL transfer history... I don't think that'll actually happen, but it easily could.

:eek:

glass half full

Well, he kinda has to. He's costing a fair packet, and until we know otherwise he's chased the dosh.

He'd want to deliver, because he most certainly will cop it exponentially if he doesn't bring anything to the table.

young bloke, Joe Daniher comes to mind

Well, he kinda has to. He's costing a fair packet, and until we know otherwise he's chased the dosh.

He'd want to deliver, because he most certainly will cop it exponentially if he doesn't bring anything to the table.
I agree. If - that's IF - he does a struggle a bit early on, it would be interesting to see how patient the fans and media are with him.

Huge get is BJ. 189cm mid/defender who can go forward, 200+ game player who gets it on average 21 times a game. And its not just how many times he gets it - its what he does with it..... Guys like him dont grow on trees. Great big game player as proven by the 2011 GF, and will be 28 in 2013 so in his prime still, and young enough to have a big impact at the club over the next 4 years.
Will be a great leader and help younger players also - one Joe Daniher comes to minds... :)

26-30 are the prime years, expect a hungry player next year.

Even if he doesn't average 30 possessions a game (tongue in cheek), he'll have pay off for our other players who won't receive attention because he is playing. I've also heard he is very professional with how he approaches training and recovery and it sounds like we need a lot of guidance in this area. Hopefully he gets stuck into some young guys if they don't approach it with the same professionalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great weekend for me. Hawthorn lost Saturday, got married Sunday and we recruit Goddard on Monday!

Loving life at the moment!

images

Jobe: "No you win the brownlow in 2013!"

God: "No you win it!"

Both: *giggles*

You're right in saying that you'll need to spend big to get high profile free agents, but in this instance I don't think it's warranted. To get a superstar tall forward or midfielder who completes the puzzle for an assault on a premiership, go for it. But a loose half back/outside mid who has been worth about 450k for the last two years?

But when you have a clearance machine who just won the brownlow and a couple of promising young talls with the addition of a F/S pick who many are saying is the best young fwd to come through the TAC, surely an outside mid would be your number one target.

crikey i turn my back on this thread for a night and miss 17 pages!

This didnt happen when we paid 220k to poach Ben Doolan from Sydney did it?

So is roosey right? will free agency just allow the rich to pick the eyes out of the poor? poor old port adelaide bearing the brunt already.. its a fire sale over there.... not even Kochy can right that ship!

meanwhile back at our ranch.... we have to wait a month till Brendon gets back from overseas to see him in the kit.. wonder if he will meet the boys at the altitude camp?

Welcome to the Dons Brendon.. stay away from the weapon and anjoy your stay!
Next up.. JD, come on downnnnn

will free agency just allow the rich to pick the eyes out of the poor? poor old port adelaide bearing the brunt already..

With a few exceptions, it's all the same salary cap.

Make your club appealing and people will come. Which is the same as it ever was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back