AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news keeps rolling in!

Shiel requires an arthroscope to trim the damaged meniscus in his knee.

The long-term concern for Shiel is the missing meniscus will leave his knee joint in danger suffering from of bone-on-bone friction.

Mahoney said the injuries would clearly test the club’s depth as Essendon looks to inject more youth in coming weeks.

“Dylan will be required to have a knee arthroscopy and we will know more about the timeframes for his return following this procedure over the coming days,” Mahoney said.

“At this stage, we don’t anticipate he will return to the field for at least the next four to six weeks but we will continue to monitor him closely this week and see how he progresses.”
Not much they can do about meniscus (cartliage) tears. I think Shiel will ultimately have to manage it for the rest of his playing career. The surgery is just cleaning away the flap left from a tear. There is nothing they can replace it with so as it says above you eventually just get left with bone on bone if you keep trimming it away or having issues. Ive had a mate have 3 meniscus clean outs and his knee ended up needing to be drained of ridiculous amounts of fluid after a game, so he eventually stopped playing. Ive had another mate that doesnt play footy but had the clean out and he said it didnt improve his knee at all in the first few months, was almost worse, but he can still run and surf today. I've torn meniscus 7 years ago and opted against a clean out. Its fine for every day activity and i can still run and do everything i want but its obviously not perfect. Derrick Rose 1st Meniscus injury kept him out for a year and then he did it again as soon ad he got back. Now hes learnt to manage it he's still a good player but hes not the same player. I feel like one of the main things with the injury is you lose your explosivness.

If they just cut it out it’d be 4-6 weeks and bone on bone... sounds like he wants a functional knee instead (and if there was ever a year where you could get away with putting yourself in for significant surgery, this is probably it)

I wonder how exactly they repair cartilage 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting the long term integrity of his knee and his quality of his life after football above the short term success of the club is pretty selfish in my opinion.

Is it worth putting him on the LTI?
Counting the weeks he should be back about Round 19 (I think the 16 weeks includes rehabbing and getting to full match fitness in the VFL), so he could still get 5 games at the end of the season the way it stands.

If he were to be ruled out for the season we would have another bite at the mid-season draft though. I don't think we've replaced Mozzie yet so that would potentially mean two picks in the mid-season draft(s).

For posterity
Essendon midfielder Dylan Shiel will miss close to four months of football as he works his way back from a torn meniscus.

The 28-year-old is unlikely to be available for 16 weeks after he elected to repair his damaged knee, a decision which will provide better long-term meniscal integrity, but will ultimately cost the classy ball user most of the home and away season.

The 174-gamer suffered the torn meniscus in the third quarter of Essendon’s round two clash with Port Adelaide and discovered the extent of the injury following an arthroscopic procedure carried out last week.

Head of high performance Sean Murphy said the Bombers were disappointed to lose Shiel for an extended period of time.

“Dyl’ (Dylan Shiel) saw the surgeon early last week,” Murphy told Dons Digitals’ Performance Update.

“The decision was made to go in for surgery for last Tuesday. In the end, the meniscal tear was quite significant, and the decision was made to repair the meniscal tear.

“What that means now is that there’s more of a lengthy period in terms of his rehab process and it’s looking like commonly a 16-week layoff to return to play.

“It’s big chunk of footy ‘Dyl’ is going to miss this year which is unfortunate for the club and for ‘Dyl’.”

If they just cut it out it’d be 4-6 weeks and bone on bone... sounds like he wants a functional knee instead (and if there was ever a year where you could get away with putting yourself in for significant surgery, this is probably it)

I wonder how exactly they repair cartilage 🤔
Adam cooney had it cut out but didnt have a choice.

He has often lamented that injury, and apparently it is degenerative and he has chronic issues now. He is only mid 30s.

Do not begrudge Shiel one iota for choosing long term viability of his knee

If i recall Cooney had a simila

He has often lamented that injury, and apparently it is degenerative and he has chronic issues now. He is only mid 30s.

Yeah he did, the stupid part about his injury is that he broke his patella and then played on it the next two weeks, so the bone fragments got into the joint and ruined it. He's been bone on bone ever since. It was probably avoidable if they had sent him for surgery straight away and cleaned it out, though given the games he played in the following weeks were the semis and prelims it would've been a decision he was as much a part of as anyone.

Last time I heard him speak about it he said there is no way to regrow cartilage, nothing works but they're hoping maybe stem cells one day 🤷‍♀️ He was having multiple pain killers injected before games every week. Someone mentioned the other day that similar sorts of issues result in a lot of fluid being drained from the joint after the game as well.

Not like he's the only ex-sportsman with degenerative issues and chronic pain, but he's an interesting one because he's spoken about it a lot.

There's a bit here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-cooney-fears-for-curnow-20191122-p53d6f.html

And the part about painkillers is probably in this one but I can't open it: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/s...n/news-story/47b9e38b7f3441a978f575dad189447f

Last edited:

Yeah he did, the stupid part about his injury is that he broke his patella and then played on it the next two weeks, so the bone fragments got into the joint and ruined it. He's been bone on bone ever since. It was probably avoidable if they had sent him for surgery straight away and cleaned it out, though given the games he played in the following weeks were the semis and prelims it would've been a decision he was as much a part of as anyone.

Last

No. This is absolutely nothing at all like Adam Cooney's injury. That was a fractured patella and the hyaline cartilage underneath.

This is in an entirely different compartment of his knee. And it is his meniscus, which whilst it is a form of cartilage, is not the hyaline cartilage beneath it. It is an extremely routine surgery that a heap of players get every single year and you might not even hear about it. The vast majority return without any complications or effect on their football. Most do have long term complications (whether he has surgery or not) with risks of arthritis, but this is usually after his playing career is long gone.

16 weeks is a long lay off for it, so its a little more complicated than most. But we don't need to be panicking. He will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back