Past Kane Lucas

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he deserves to play round one, he made a few mistakes but even our better players will have at least one turnover if they are getting 34 disposals. The guy had pressure on him all night and other players weren't really giving him options to kick to.

Was one of the few to really push himself all night. Disposal isn't as crisp as it could and perhaps should be, but he's playing well. Busted a gut from siren to siren and led the way in that regard. Found the ball in spades and really put his hand up as a viable midfield option. Has had a good preseason and continued in that fashion last night. Looks to be really enjoying himself after an unfortunate run with injuries over the past 24 months or so.

Is a certainty to play against Richmond in round 1 and if he continues in the same fashion as he has, he'll feature heavily at senior level right throughout the 2013 season. Looks to be flourishing under Malthouse which is great to see. Long may it continue.

I think he will be a regular this year. He seems to have the instruction to just chase the ball, that is possibly only a NAB cup tactic as we would rather someone with more damaging disposal roam free but as mentioned above he is playing with great confidence.

It is promising to know he can accumulate the ball and we need to get as many games into him as possible this year to replace Scotland who is likely to call it quits at the end of the year. Time is on his side.

Kane Lucas did a power of running to offer support both ways.

Team High in the following categories:

Contested Possessions - 12
Uncontested Possessions - 22
Total Possessions - 34 (only 4 were clangers)
Marks - 6
Clearances - 6
Stoppages - 5

Disposal Efficiency - 76.5% higher then then all of the following Simpson 64.5%, Yarran 68.2%, Robinson 57.9%, Carrazzo 72.7%, Murphy 63.2%, Judd 60%, Walker 66.7%.

Would however like to see him contribute more in the way of 1%er's and tackles which he only had 1 of each but hopefully he will get better in all areas with a sustained opportunity in the senior side.

And some people are still wondering whether he'll get picked in round 1! Aarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

MM rightly said we had no run. Reckon Lucas and Simmo would be two of the first picked on that basis alone.

Contested Possessions - 12
Uncontested Possessions - 22
Total Possessions - 34 (only 4 were clangers)
Marks - 6
Clearances - 6
Stoppages - 5

Disposal Efficiency - 76.5% higher then then all of the following Simpson 64.5%, Yarran 68.2%, Robinson 57.9%, Carrazzo 72.7%, Murphy 63.2%, Judd 60%, Walker 66.7%.

Okay this has me pretty darn excited. I knew he racked up plenty of ball and ran a ridiculous amount of ground but I didnt realise the rest of those stats, especially clearances.

He may never be a player who lays lots of tackles or the extra hard physical stuff, but if he continues to do those other things at the very least he'll be a very good outside player who will hopefully go when it's his turn.

I could perhaps see him being a better version of Kade Simpson if everything goes well, at least in the way he plays and finishes at goal.

Of course he mightn't ever be as tough as Kade or as durable, but I'm sure you can see my comparison.

Very positive for Kane to be getting his hands on it so much. Still doesn't look like he 100% knows what his doing when he has it, but surely once his played 50-60 games this area will be greatly improved.

Friday night was the most positive sign we have seen from him IMO.

I'm not sure what I can add that hasn't been said. I agree with the comments people have made regarding Lucas and his performance against the Lions. He racked up a heap of touches and sure, he didn't always use the ball as well as we'd like to see him use it, but I think the most important things are that he ran his ass off all night and finished the game off healthy. After the run that he has had with injury, running out a game like he did with so many touches has to boost his confidence. I for one am a big fan of this kid, and I'd love to see him get plenty of games this year. Whether he does or not will depend a lot on staying healthy and continuing to improve and develop with the more experience. if he can keep getting better with more time at AFL level, then it's going to be tough to pass on him come selection time each week.

The kid has really turned the corner. If anyone said he'd rack up 34 late this pre season last year every blues supporter would have been rapt. You don't just become a good player overnight, you improve incrementally. Lucas is definitely doing this and will no doubt be working on the finer points of his game over the year. Great to see him up and running and improving every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could perhaps see him being a better version of Kade Simpson if everything goes well, at least in the way he plays and finishes at goal.

Massive, ginormous, humongous call...

Simmo is an absolute ripper, a wafer-thin, relentless gut runner who puts himself where many other more solid men fear to tread; would be beside myself if Sugar got to that level.

The kid has really turned the corner. If anyone said he'd rack up 34 late this pre season last year every blues supporter would have been rapt. You don't just become a good player overnight, you improve incrementally. Lucas is definitely doing this and will no doubt be working on the finer points of his game over the year. Great to see him up and running and improving every game.

I agree entirely. I'm just a bit disappointed and surprised that his disposal isn't a bit better at this stage. I personally find it very difficult to look past bad disposal in a player who is exclusively an outside player. But who knows, maybe it's just a confidence issue.

I agree entirely. I'm just a bit disappointed and surprised that his disposal isn't a bit better at this stage. I personally find it very difficult to look past bad disposal in a player who is exclusively an outside player. But who knows, maybe it's just a confidence issue.

His disposal certainly has room to improve and probably needs to if he's to continue his rise up the ranks, but I'd hardly call his disposal 'bad'. Just not as clean as perhaps it could or should be.

His disposal certainly has room to improve and probably needs to if he's to continue his rise up the ranks, but I'd hardly call his disposal 'bad'. Just not as clean as perhaps it could or should be.

Yeah I'm probably being too harsh on the kid. I just saw a few kicks in the Ade and Bris game miss targets and lead to costly turnovers. Kicks that players at AFL level should be hitting 9/10 times. That said, I hope MM shows some faith in Lucas and that he really blossoms throughout the season.

Yeah I'm probably being too harsh on the kid. I just saw a few kicks in the Ade and Bris game miss targets and lead to costly turnovers. Kicks that players at AFL level should be hitting 9/10 times. That said, I hope MM shows some faith in Lucas and that he really blossoms throughout the season.

Yeah, I definitely think you are being a little harsh. Some of his kicks (in all games across the preseason campaign) didn't come off as he would have liked but he's hardly alone on that front. No player is error-free, even the best of the best turn it over at times. As I've said a number of times already in this thread, Kane certainly does need to improve his disposal but it certainly has not been as poor as some have been suggesting.

I think it is pretty clear already that he is one who will flourish under Malthouse this season. What he has produced thus far is already a huge improvement on the past year or two. Mick clearly is giving license to roam the wing and he's performing quite well at this stage. If he continues along the path down which he is currently tracking I feel he's in for a good year.

I think we're overstating his 'bad' disposal. From what I've seen it's more the decision or sometimes panicking under pressure that results in a turnover, he'll improve with continuity at the top level just like McLean did last season. He provides a lot of run and he's very effective, always finds himself in a position to slot a goal or two.

On Friday, I noticed Yarran had a couple of shocking turnovers with little pressure... at least one directly resulting in a goal, yet he escapes the criticism because he's a favourite on here.

On Friday, I noticed Yarran had a couple of shocking turnovers with little pressure... at least one directly resulting in a goal, yet he escapes the criticism because he's a favourite on here.

That's a bit silly, Yarran has runs on the board when it comes to foot skills. Everyone knows he's better than that.

Very happy for Lucas being able to cover as much ground as he's currently doing.
He's showing a terrific fitness base and the ability to keep running all day. You either have that or you don't and Lucas has it in spades.

Hard not to see him as a round 1 starter again this year, so it will be interesting how much time Mick gives him to solidify his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back