#9 Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 17 Robert Gray

^I'll err on the side of caution and say 'should be' rather than 'will be'. We need luck with injuries and them to continue improving/training as hard as they have been to reach their full potential.

After watching him for a while now I think 2010 could be the breakout year for this kid. A move to the midfield could see him become an elite player.

#17 ROBBIE GRAY

23 / 184 / 84

231936.jpg

VOTES:
BigFooty: 202 (1st)
Port: 9 (4th)
Macca19: 96 (1st)

AFL Stats:
Games: 22
Disposals: 395
Disposal Efficiency: 69.6
Marks: 81
Contested Marks: 10
Clearances: 68
Tackles: 84
Inside50: 62
Rebound50: 21
Contested Possession: 214
Goals: 32
Goal Assists: 24
Best Players: 15

Notes:
* 3rd Disposals
* 5th Marks
* 9th Contested Marks
* 4th Tackles
* 4th Inside 50s
* 2nd Clearances
* 1st Contested Possessions
* 1st Goals
* 1st Goal Assists

2011 saw Robbie injury free and play every game for the first time in his career. This culminated in his best season at AFL level and finishing the year with his first BigFooty Port Adelaide Player of the Year. He fell a few votes short after his impressive 2009 but made every post a winner in 2011. He was thereabouts at the top of the ladder from Round 2 when he was rated best on ground. He was 3rd at the halfway mark of the season and took the lead by the clubs 2nd bye in Round 18. He was behind Hartlett leading into the final four weeks of the season and hit the lead after Round 23 against Essendon.

Statistically it was his best season at the club as well. He led the club in both goals and goal assists showing his importance inside the forward 50, but was also 3rd in disposals, 1st in contested possessions and 4th in inside 50s which equally shows his importance from the midfield. He did spend more time in the midfield throughout the year than he has in any other season and would expect he will stay there for the majority of his career.

In terms of his best games for the year he had many. He was best on ground in Round 2 with 14 dispsoals and 4 goals against West Coast. He followed that up with 2 goals in each of the next 2 games against Geelong and Adelaide. He was excellent in Rounds 9 and 10 with 22 disposals and 3 goals against Fremantle, following up with 13 disposals and 4 goals in the win against Richmond.

He was consistent throughout the second half of the season, picking up votes in 10 of the last 11 matches of the season. He was rated second best against St Kilda in Round 16 with 26 disposals and a goal and also second best the following week against Melbourne with 19 disposals and 2 goals.

His best game of the year however came against Essendon in Round 23. In what should have been a match winning performance, Robbie picked up 20 disposals and kicked a career high 6 goals to come away with the 3 Brownlow votes. He was also strong in the middle against Melbourne in the final round, with 20 disposals and a goal.

In terms of talent Robbie is arguably the best at the club. His ability to read the drop of the ball at stoppages is the best at the club and his goal sense makes him a tough opponent up forward. You sense that as the playing list improves that Robbie will be one of the keys for the club come finals time in the next few years.

Congratulations to Robbie Gray for becoming the winner of the 12th BigFooty Port Adelaide Player of the Year.

30rw7c8.jpg

Previous History
2007 – 26th
2008 – 18th
2009 – 2nd
2010 – 17th

Gray to spread his wings in the midfield in 2012...

Link

New Shade Of Gray
PORT Adelaide livewire Robbie Gray says he'll spend added time in the midfield in 2012 after focusing on his running and strength over the pre-season.

A noticeably bigger Gray looked at home through the middle in the Power's internal trial match last Friday and also managed to drift forward to kick two goals.

"I've been working on my running, as everyone else has, but that's probably been the main focus for me," he said.

"I'll be playing forward as well, but coming up the ground a bit more.

Link

i can't wait to watch robbie gray play this year. maybe he is seen by some (outside our club) as the other half of "boak and gray" aka our only midfielders (oh and that hartlett bloke) but to use an overused term he really is an excitement machine, and i'll throw in another, he is definitely an x factor. someone who will defy what you think he can do at the time and pull something out of the rabbit hat. i just want to see taps go right down his throat because if and when that happens nobody will be able to stop robbie.

now I should be off to my buddies thread shouldn't I.

Robbie barely got out of first gear in season 2012.

Traditional reco, will be back for 2013.

Link

Surgery For Gray - Back For 2013

Grayr4-news.jpg

Port Adelaide forward-midfielder Robbie Gray has undergone surgery to repair damage to his knee and is expected to recover in time to play at the start of the 2013 AFL season.

The 24-year-old had a traditional knee reconstruction in Adelaide on Monday night after scans confirmed he had torn the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee.

Link

The road to recovery has begun, watch Gray's progress on PTV:

PTV: Robbie's Recovery Ep1

GrayRecoveryCycler.jpg

ROBBIE Gray has begun his long road to recovery following surgery last week to repair the damage to the ACL in his right knee.

Watch here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Macca19

31st #17 ROBBIE GRAY

1 Vote

248365.jpg

VOTES:
BigFooty: 1 (31st)
Port: 0
Toots: 0

AFL Stats:
Games: 2
Disposals: 29
Marks: 6
Contested Marks: 1
Clearances: 4
Tackles: 9
Inside50: 4
Rebound50: 1
Contested Possession: 15
Goals: 2
Goal Assists: 1
Best Players: 1

Notes:
After such a good 2011 which saw him win the 2011 Port board POTY, Robbie lasted just two matches of the 2012 season before heavily injuring his knee in a sickening incident in the final minute of the Round 4 clash against Collingwood. A strong pre season all came to nothing after a hamstring injury saw him miss the first two matches and the knee injury ended his season prematurely. Hopefully we can see the best of Robbie once again in 2013.
  • 2009 Young Gun of the Year
  • 2011 Port Board Player of the Year
gray.jpg

Grayza has switched from #17 to #9, hopefully a new number will bring better fortune in remaining injury free

Link

Robbie starts his 'ninth' life

robbiegray-landscape_620X370.jpg

ROBBIE Gray has seized the opportunity to claim the vacant number nine guernsey at Port Adelaide and will wear it from 2013.

Gray has been in rehabilitation-mode since critically injuring his anterior cruciate ligament against Collingwood last season.

Having played in the number #17 jumper since debuting in 2007, Gray is hoping his new number will bring with it the opportunity to play consistent, injury-free football after suffering several setbacks throughout his career.

He last wore the number nine during his junior sporting days and has coveted the chance to wear it as an elite AFL footballer.

Link

Gray has been promoted to the leadership group!

Link

Gray promoted as Power finalises leadership group

2013leadership%20group_620_620X370.jpg

After recently announcing Travis Boak as club captain and Brad Ebert as his deputy, Port Adelaide has formally ratified the remainder of its 2013 leadership group after gathering input from player feedback, peer assessments, coaches’ experience and player actions across the pre-season.

Robbie Gray has been elevated into the six-man leadership group for the first time and will be joined by Jay Schulz, Jackson Trengove and Hamish Hartlett who remain in the group from 2012.

Link

Gray will take to the field this weekend for a SANFL trial match!!!

Link

Injury update: Gray set for SANFL comeback this weekend

Grayportrait_620X370.jpg

ROBBIE Gray will return to senior level football in an SANFL trial match this weekend.

Gray missed the majority of last season due to a severe anterior cruciate ligament injury sustained against Collingwood in April.

Senior coach Ken Hinkley told FIVEaa that Gray’s return on 7.00pm on Saturday night as part of the trial team for SANFL club West Adelaide's will be the final stage of his rehabilitation.

Link

Remove this Banner Ad

Back