Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Just keeps growing into the captaincy. Is starting to display his freakish ability again while leading from the front. Love watching him in full flight.

I'll put my hand up as someone who has questioned his captaincy the last 2 years, but after some of his performances when the teams needed something this year, I wouldn't want it in anyone else's hands.

Can honestly say ive never questioned his leadership abilities. Its been pretty clear hes been learning on the job and his game has perhaps suffered a little whilst hes been learning the captaincy. Hes only going to get better

Had to GIF this:

V28rdy7.gif
Shame is, he was a bee's dick away from giving away a "contact below the knees" free.

Shame is, he was a bee's dick away from giving away a "contact below the knees" free.
He didn't go to ground below a opponents knees to gain the football . A opponent ran past him whilst he was gaining control of the football whilst upon the ground . Rayzor Ray wouldn't even pay a free for that, drawing for straws if you are going to claim or suggest he erred in his decision making in that contest .

He didn't go to ground below a opponents knees to gain the football . A opponent ran past him whilst he was gaining control of the football whilst upon the ground . Rayzor Ray wouldn't even pay a free for that, drawing for straws if you are going to claim or suggest he erred in his decision making in that contest .

Jeez, way to get antagonistic. I'm saying that the rule is phasing out courageous play like what Cotchin showed.

You're wrong with your interpretation anyway. The rule is "Contact below the knees". If Hannebury didn't swerve to avoid it, Cotchin would've been penalised.

Jeez, way to get antagonistic. I'm saying that the rule is phasing out courageous play like what Cotchin showed.

You're wrong with your interpretation anyway. The rule is "Contact below the knees". If Hannebury didn't swerve to avoid it, Cotchin would've been penalised.
Bullshit hannebury instigated the likelyhood of any contact not Cotchin , the emphasis is upon who instigates the contact .

He probably wouldn't have been.

The 'slide' on Brando is an example of ones that will get paid. As you turn your body and take full momentum below the knees.

When a bloke dives head first for the ball and makes contact below the knees the correct interpretation should be too high, or at worst play on.

The rule is designed to stop broken legs and ankles, not desperation for the footy.

I love you chimp, never doubted you!

Like I said, when the heat was on at the start of the year from the haters. As those around him perform, he will become more attacking and display what he showed on Friday. His one issue he needs to address though is his set shot kicking for goal but outside of that, he is an elite mid.

His disposal is elite , he kicks or handballs to where players should receive it , not his fault some double back whilst it is in the air or don't know how to run to space , as players become more experienced You'll appreciate how good his disposals are .
Jack still believes he is the best player to led to and it is extremely rare that Cotchin doesn't put it to his advantage.

I get the feeling you're making a tongue in cheek comment, but if you're serious then you're delusional. He's one of our worst kicks. The reason he's the best player to lead to has nothing to do with his passing, it's that he's constantly in the position to do so, but I've lost count of the amount of chipped kicks that have missed an easy inside 50 target.

Have to admit i was one of his critics in regards to his leadership.Proved me wrong.:thumbsu:

His leadrship has always been on point, even when he's having a poor game he's being vocal and never losing determination. Was ridiculous how much flack he copped for the coin toss decision last year, he got followed around for almost the whole match too. I still see people talking about that now.

His leadrship has always been on point, even when he's having a poor game he's being vocal and never losing determination. Was ridiculous how much flack he copped for the coin toss decision last year, he got followed around for almost the whole match too. I still see people talking about that now.
Unfortunately for Cotch,Just like the Richmond 9th Stigma until another captain decides too win the toss and kick against the wind in a final Thats something that will stick with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a massive structural breakdown. How do you let a player like Jack stand unguarded inside 50 on the goal side of the contest?

Well Cotchin wins a ball he had no right to win (4 on 1) that originated from giving two or three efforts prior thus leaving four Richmond players free around the contest. Which might make out to be bad decisions made by the the Sydney players, but it is the exact reason why players like Cotchin get paid what they do and are held in such high regard but at the same time more often then not Cotchin regardless of how good he is doesn't win a four on one.

Last edited:
Its his dad bull giving him his jumper.

That was my other guess, cheers mate. Where did you get the pick, were you there ?And did Bull wear the No 12?

That was my other guess, cheers mate. Where did you get the pick, were you there ?And did Bull wear the No 12?
LOL how old do you think I am? I was 14 in late 1992 and definitely not at richo's jumper presentation by his dad. I'm not sure if Bull wore number 12 as its before my time but as a father/son I cant imagine it to be to far from possible, maybe tugga or TigerImposter could help you out with that. Cant remember where I got the picture actually, consequences of drinking. :)

LOL how old do you think I am? I was 14 in late 1992 and definitely not at richo's jumper presentation by his dad. I'm not sure if Bull wore number 12 as its before my time but as a father/son I cant imagine it to be to far from possible, maybe tugga or TigerImposter could help you out with that. Cant remember where I got the picture actually, consequences of drinking. :)
I'm not that ******* old either. Wasn't around when Bull was playing.

I'm not that ******* old either. Wasn't around when Bull was playing.
yes he was number 12 and was the 594th player to be capped for rfc
played 59-69 and in the 67 GF win
i was only four when he went to the SM swans and don't have much memory of him,but i remembered he got the 12 Guernsey bc when Matty picked up as F/S it was mentioned he would wear Dad's number

Well Cotchin wins a ball he had no right to win (4 on 1) that originated from giving two or three efforts prior thus leaving four Richmond players free around the contest. Which might make out to be bad decisions made by the the Sydney players, but it is the exact reason why players like Cotchin get paid what they do and are held in such high regard but at the same time more often then not Cotchin regardless of how good he is doesn't win a four on one.

It was an incredible effort by Cotchin, no doubt. But Jack's opponent shouldn't have been sucked in to the contest, particularly considering they already outnumbered us. Goes to show that even the best teams make mistakes.

i was only four when he went to the SM swans and don't have much memory of him,but i remembered he got the 12 Guernsey bc when Matty picked up as F/S it was mentioned he would wear Dad's number
Cheers TI :)

old campaigner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back