Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how an unfit, injury-riddled Cotchin getting beaten by a hard tag means that he's no good and needs to be replaced as captain. Some people need to get some perspective.
It's not JUST this though.. He is a pretty inconsistent performer in general of late, and the bigger games he has, his impact isn't near what it has been.
And does he appear to inspire his team? Hard to say but I don't really notice him a lot myself..
Jack is a very passionate man and the boys love him, they clearly listen to him. He would be in the exact same mold as Tex Walker.

It's not JUST this though.. He is a pretty inconsistent performer in general of late, and the bigger games he has, his impact isn't near what it has been.
And does he appear to inspire his team? Hard to say but I don't really notice him a lot myself..
Jack is a very passionate man and the boys love him, they clearly listen to him. He would be in the exact same mold as Tex Walker.
You do realise he has won 3 of the last 4 Jack Dyers and been top 10 in the last 3 Brownlow .

I've been very critical of Cotchin, his disposal is worrying and I've questioned whether or not he has been fit enough this season.

I don't think anybody agreed with me at the time, probably high off wins where Cotchin plodded along, sometimes not even tagged and then had one good quarter.

Funny to see so many saying the same or similar things now though, after a big loss.

Having said that, right now I definitely feel as though he deserves the captaincy and should remain captain.

I've been very critical of Cotchin, his disposal is worrying and I've questioned whether or not he has been fit enough this season.

I don't think anybody agreed with me at the time, probably high off wins where Cotchin plodded along, sometimes not even tagged and then had one good quarter.

Funny to see so many saying the same or similar things now though, after a big loss.

Having said that, right now I definitely feel as though he deserves the captaincy and should remain captain.
If anyone deserves the captaincy is Jack hes the only one fit enough to carry the mental. An elite talent that can't kick straight 20 mtrs out? goes to water when tagged ffs he got done by a sick player.

I've also been critical of him but remaining mostly quiet fearing backlash or kind of expecting that he might come good.

I think his output has been overrated over the past 2-3 years. But backing him in to have a good year next year because we've all seen what he is capable of. He desperately needs to clean up his disposal.

No offence against Cotch at all a great captain to me:),But what about the thoughts of co-captains to maybe take the load off? Seeing as Rancey& or JUack would fit perfectly into that mould no doubt.

Loved Fyfe's impact in a final with a broken leg, kind of puts any injury excuses into perspective for Cotchin.

We simply make too many excuses for Trent when he should be the next Gary Ablett competing with Nat Fyfe for the Brownlow every year... Fyfe's rival should be Cotchin, not Priddis FFS.

We mark Trent harshly because he should be right up there with Fyfe.

Loved Fyfe's impact in a final with a broken leg, kind of puts any injury excuses into perspective for Cotchin.

We simply make too many excuses for Trent when he should be the next Gary Ablett competing with Nat Fyfe for the Brownlow every year... Fyfe's rival should be Cotchin, not Priddis FFS.

We mark Trent harshly because he should be right up there with Fyfe.
Definitely , it is frustrating , I love cotch but he really should be up there with them , he's an A grader but he aint a+ grade like fyfe

You missed the games during the year when everyone was going Gaga over his ability to will himself and his teammates to get the side over the line ?
A lot of people have short memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All those brownlow votes didn't help the times when we needed him most though did they
Like against Collingwood?
Like against Sydney?

Or do we tell Trent to not do anything all year and just play in finals that we won't make because our Captain didn't do anything all year?

Like against Collingwood?
Like against Sydney?

Or do we tell Trent to not do anything all year and just play in finals that we won't make because our Captain didn't do anything all year?
Our leader and supposedly best player stood up in 2 big games. Forgive me if I'm not gushing. He had at least as many shockers as he had great games.

He did nothing in the first blues game and little in the second collingwood game. He also did barely anything in the port game and second blues game, while against the dogs he had lots of possessions but little actual influence.

The problem is he goes to water when he gets aa decent tag. It's like he just concedes he won't have much of an impact.

I was thinking about the captaincy again and this honestly isn't a knock on Cotchin at all, but maybe being captain just doesn't suit him and his personality, and it's affecting his football.
He used the word anxious, how he gets before games and the night before, since he became captain.
I know exactly what he means albeit in different context. I teach a class of 5/6 year olds here in Japan and it's intense a lot of the time but it's great fun, and I know I'm good at it because I enjoy it. Yet as soon as a mum is in the class for an open day I totally freeze. I'm nervous, horribly anxious both on the day and the night before, and cannot operate as normal. I'm not introverted but I wouldn't say I'm extroverted either, yet something about my personality causes this pressure and being the main-man to totally shut me down.
Cotch is a gun regardless, but it has clearly affected his football. When he was offered the captaincy of course he wasn't going to turn it down. But being the main-man just doesn't suit some people, it doesnt mean he's a bad leader or doesn't have the ability but I honestly believe it must really affect him. At times he even looks like he's lost weight...it probably really stresses him too.
Other people are lucky to have the ability to thrive off that same responsibility and seek out those chances to be the center of attention. It isn't just about passion or the ability to inspire, but about choosing someone who it really suits and who would thrive off it.
For the sake of Cotchin himself I would relieve him of the pressure and let him focus on being a gun player. It's nothing to do with being weak - he can't help how it affects him. I truly believe this would help his footy immensely if that anxiety is lifted, for anyone who has experienced that or even depression, you would understand.
Yes this has been said already but I really would give the captaincy to Jack. Not just because he is clearly heart and soul Richmond but more importantly because he would very likely thrive off it. You saw how it was he that spoke to the media after we lost. Do it Tigers, we'll be better for it.

I was thinking about the captaincy again and this honestly isn't a knock on Cotchin at all, but maybe being captain just doesn't suit him and his personality, and it's affecting his football.
He used the word anxious, how he gets before games and the night before, since he became captain.
I know exactly what he means albeit in different context. I teach a class of 5/6 year olds here in Japan and it's intense a lot of the time but it's great fun, and I know I'm good at it because I enjoy it. Yet as soon as a mum is in the class for an open day I totally freeze. I'm nervous, horribly anxious both on the day and the night before, and cannot operate as normal. I'm not introverted but I wouldn't say I'm extroverted either, yet something about my personality causes this pressure and being the main-man to totally shut me down.
Cotch is a gun regardless, but it has clearly affected his football. When he was offered the captaincy of course he wasn't going to turn it down. But being the main-man just doesn't suit some people, it doesnt mean he's a bad leader or doesn't have the ability but I honestly believe it must really affect him. At times he even looks like he's lost weight...it probably really stresses him too.
Other people are lucky to have the ability to thrive off that same responsibility and seek out those chances to be the center of attention. It isn't just about passion or the ability to inspire, but about choosing someone who it really suits and who would thrive off it.
For the sake of Cotchin himself I would relieve him of the pressure and let him focus on being a gun player. It's nothing to do with being weak - he can't help how it affects him. I truly believe this would help his footy immensely if that anxiety is lifted, for anyone who has experienced that or even depression, you would understand.
Yes this has been said already but I really would give the captaincy to Jack. Not just because he is clearly heart and soul Richmond but more importantly because he would very likely thrive off it. You saw how it was he that spoke to the media after we lost. Do it Tigers, we'll be better for it.
Very well said RJ.:thumbsu:

Anyone that thought it would be smooth for Cotch is kidding themselves.
He will be up and down. All AFL players are.
He was very dissapointing in the final. All our leaders where though. Except Jack and Rance.
IMO a Captain is a leader of men on and off the field. Cotch would be doing things internally that none of us know about.
He was made captain of one of the biggest clubs in Australia at 22...what was everyone here doing at 22?
He will grow into the role IMO.
I think Alex should be made VC next year. He leads by how he plays.

Is our leadership group player voted?

cotchin has been our best player consistently for 5 years , without any doubt what so ever .
bennell is only being considered due to his and his fellow leadership groups abilities to assist the troubled types . Our list isn't immune to having players who have off field issues and thankfully we have a strong leadership
Group who have lent them a hand and steered them for the most part on the right path and outside of trouble .

Watched that flog Jacobs against Shuey, at every stoppage he was front on to Shuey and never ever had his eyes on the ball, he just spread himself and blocked Shuey's passage. No free kicks and apart from one burst for a nice goal Shuey had no influence and his big bodied teammates couldn't do much either.
Cotchin is a fantastic player with a fantastic attitude.

Cotch getting the tag is the off shoot of Lids not playing in the middle. He used to take the tag so Cotchin et al didn't get it, and he still had an impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back