Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be a good question to put to him unexpectedly on radio or something.
Mitchell handed it over to Hodge....although I think there were other factors in that one, Mitchell is a ********** and Hodge probably made it a condition of his contract that he be made captain. We changed captains in 1980 and won a flag.

Rance would be my choice. Look, he was looking like he'd be the second coming of Christ for us, good looking, spoke well, presented well, very marketable. I don't think he's reached his full potential, he was huge in a few games this year though. He seems to have lost confidence in himself.
Enjoys taking the piss and being somewhat of the larrikin to much . Somewhat similar is lids who has a close tight knit friend base . I believe that last year was the happiest the club had been with the leadership group which had been assembled .
All were pretty much no drinkers and tended to have a good balance of the various groups which occur within clubs .
Ivan and Chaplin will exit soon and the likes of flossy need to stand up . I do think if cotchin wasn't captain he may expect and be more vocal about getting more support for himself from others

Enjoys taking the piss and being somewhat of the larrikin to much . Somewhat similar is lids who has a close tight knit friend base . I believe that last year was the happiest the club had been with the leadership group which had been assembled .
All were pretty much no drinkers and tended to have a good balance of the various groups which occur within clubs .
Ivan and Chaplin will exit soon and the likes of flossy need to stand up .
He is a clown but * me he's a beast on the field.The kind of player that inspires others.

Mitchell handed it over to Hodge....although I think there were other factors in that one, Mitchell is a Al Swearengen and Hodge probably made it a condition of his contract that he be made captain. We changed captains in 1980 and won a flag.

I don't remember much about the hodge mitchell captaincy swap but it seems to have worked pretty well in both players favours. I think the same would happen with a cotch swap, I'd lean lids but Jack would be great as well. Then cotch starts winning brownlows.

Does it come down to taking on the captaincy too young? I think he did. Reckon he should give lids or Jack or even Rance the captaincy for him to loosen up and play his game, I think that will also work wonders. Captaincy or not, still needs a bit more protection from the taggers. I think he puts too much pressure on himself as a captain, OCD to be perfect maybe.
I heard a quote from Sam Mitchell today talking about when he played after 2 hours sleep when they had their first kid and he went Ok, said he took a lot of confidence out of the fact that he still can play when outside his usual preparation. I wonder whether Cotchy would benefit from a similar approach, just allow him to relax a bit.

I heard a quote from Sam Mitchell today talking about when he played after 2 hours sleep when they had their first kid and he went Ok, said he took a lot of confidence out of the fact that he still can play when outside his usual preparation. I wonder whether Cotchy would benefit from a similar approach, just allow him to relax a bit.
Mitchell is an absolute flogger don't believe anything the campaigner says .

Yeah I'm having a hard time believing Mitchell on that one. Sounds like a pretentious douche circle jerking to himself.

If there was a stat for blocks made for clubs' prime class midfielders and overall shepherding in general, we would be dead last in the league. I would put my house on it.. It's literally non existent.

If there was a stat for blocks made for clubs' prime class midfielders and overall shepherding in general, we would be dead last in the league. I would put my house on it.. It's literally non existent.
Because Conca didn't play this year

After seeing the Doco last night with all the Captains, it seemed pretty obvious to me that Cotch just doesnt have his heart and mind in being a captain. might be a harsh assessment and a lot may not agree with me which is fine, but it just felt like it was more of a burden than anything else for him.

in comparison to the other captains who did mention the struggles of it, but also embraced it and wouldnt have it any other way.

anyone else get that vibe from the doco?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After seeing the Doco last night with all the Captains, it seemed pretty obvious to me that Cotch just doesnt have his heart and mind in being a captain. might be a harsh assessment and a lot may not agree with me which is fine, but it just felt like it was more of a burden than anything else for him.

in comparison to the other captains who did mention the struggles of it, but also embraced it and wouldnt have it any other way.

anyone else get that vibe from the doco?

It's an interesting point of view. And to be honest, on the surface of it, I had the same type of concern. However, at least for me, when I think about it more deeply, I'd have to wonder what sort of effect being captain would have on any other candidate you could put forward. Jack, Lids, .....anyone. It is obviously a very tough gig, you heard that from Jobe, Boak, pretty much all of them. Say we give it to Jack and the season doesn't turn out great. We'd likely be replacing the comment that "Cotch is too much of a nice citizen" with "we've sucked all the life out of Jack giving him the captaincy, should have been lids", or similar.

Nup, for me, Cotch is the logical choice and he's best positioned to do well at the huge number of captaincy success factors as outlined in the show. Only caveat in my mind is whether he (not us, but he) thinks it is really effecting his on-field performance. If so, there may be a case to hand it over.

I'm backing the team in to go top 4 next year and have a good tilt at the ultimate. Odds are, should that happen, Cotch will be lauded as a messiah type skipper.

I think he just needs more support. The
not having his heart and mind in it
can be that he's struggling with the responsibilities and just that he needs some more support and some more help with leadership or whatever facet he's uncomfortable with
As i said in a different thread, he and Lids are the only 2 real game changing leaders we have - they're the only two who can pull us over the line almost single handedly. They need more help which with the young boys coming through, hopefully we'll see more of

Although he didn't step up in the game against Norf (and yes I understand it was our biggest match of the year), don't get it twisted fellas, he had a very good year. He was one of the driving forces in multiple big games this season. Footy may not be as consuming to him as other players, but make no mistake, when that ball is bounced up until the final siren he puts his arse on the line like nobody else in our team. He's on the bottom of as many packs as any in our team, including Miles...

Anthony Miles stands up in big games
Genuine on field leader , only worry is does he have the hair style and time to do all the off field talking and promotional crap?
Do a co-captain set up with Miles the ground leader and TC the off field promotions captain to do all the PR and PC work

Last edited:
Anthony Miles stands up in big games
Genuine on field leader , only worry is does he have the hair style and time to do all the off field walking and promotional crap?
Do a co-captain set up with smiles the ground leader and TC the off field promotions captain to do all the PR and PC work
He's my favourite at tigerland now. His game against hawthorn was epic. One of the few who can hold their heads high after the final

Got to stick with Cotchin. Right now, we don't have a better candidate, and with maturity I think he will become more comfortable in the role.

His off-field value is vastly under-valued too. A great ambassador and role model for the club

Actually I think we have a handful of excellent candidates. Deledio, Rance, Jack, Miles, Edwards, Maric would all make great captains.

Actually I think we have a handful of excellent candidates. Deledio, Rance, Jack, Miles, Edwards, Maric would all make great captains.

Lids -> would be the equivalent of Cotchin. Very similar personalities. Not worth the potential de-stabilisation for change

Rance -> perhaps too eccentric looking from afar

Jack -> rises under pressure (tick), but battles to keep his emotions in check on-field (cross)

Miles -> leadership largely unproven, younger than Cotchin

Edwards -> not convinced he rises when the heat is on, Cotchin has shown he can on many occasions

Maric -> PERFECT, but not convinced his best football is ahead of him, and sadly does not make him a viable long-term option

I honestly think Cotchin is more suitable than any of the above

Lids -> would be the equivalent of Cotchin. Very similar personalities. Not worth the potential de-stabilisation for change

Rance -> perhaps too eccentric looking from afar

Jack -> rises under pressure (tick), but battles to keep his emotions in check on-field (cross)

Miles -> leadership largely unproven, younger than Cotchin

Edwards -> not convinced he rises when the heat is on, Cotchin has shown he can on many occasions

Maric -> PERFECT, but not convinced his best football is ahead of him, and sadly does not make him a viable long-term option

I honestly think Cotchin is more suitable than any of the above

Rance -> perhaps too eccentric looking from afar (Nothing like team bonding with slip and slides)

Jack -> rises under pressure (tick), but battles to keep his emotions in check on-field (cross) (Good, soft utensils shouldn't be captain)

Miles -> leadership largely unproven, younger than Cotchin (Hmm, ageist, was cotchin too young when he took over? Could be why he's failing as a captain)

Edwards -> not convinced he rises when the heat is on, Cotchin has shown he can on many occasions (Cotchin hasn't shown squat when it matters)

Maric -> PERFECT, but not convinced his best football is ahead of him, and sadly does not make him a viable long-term option (Doesn't have to be long term, short term captains can make a difference.)

Rance -> perhaps too eccentric looking from afar (Nothing like team bonding with slip and slides)

Not convinced

Jack -> rises under pressure (tick), but battles to keep his emotions in check on-field (cross) (Good, soft utensils shouldn't be captain)

I love Jack, but the occasional on field tantrum and his media-slip re. criticising Dimma's game plan is not what you want from your captain

Miles -> leadership largely unproven, younger than Cotchin (Hmm, ageist, was cotchin too young when he took over? Could be why he's failing as a captain)

You kind of self-destruct your own argument as to why he should be captain here

Edwards -> not convinced he rises when the heat is on, Cotchin has shown he can on many occasions (Cotchin hasn't shown squat when it matters)

Granted a shocking elim final, but cf. Sydney and Collingwood games for what he is capable of when the heat is on. Jack, Cotch and Rance the only 3 players on our list I have seen who can change a game.

Maric -> PERFECT, but not convinced his best football is ahead of him, and sadly does not make him a viable long-term option (Doesn't have to be long term, short term captains can make a difference.)

If this was 2 years ago I would be all for this. Unfortunately, I think this time next year we will be looking for a new ruck

We have invested in Cotchin as a leader, I think if we persevere with his him, it will bare fruit. Priority number (1) should be increasing his midfield support so he can play his natural game. Right now, we don't have a suitable person to replace him with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back