Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Lids -> would be the equivalent of Cotchin. Very similar personalities. Not worth the potential de-stabilisation for change
Pretty sure that Deledio has had excellent games every time he's stood in as captain
The best being the time when he shut Goddard out of the game and picked up about 30 disposals himself

That to me shows that he is the type of player who will step up with the added responsibility

Lids -> would be the equivalent of Cotchin. Very similar personalities. Not worth the potential de-stabilisation for change

Rance -> perhaps too eccentric looking from afar

Jack -> rises under pressure (tick), but battles to keep his emotions in check on-field (cross)

Miles -> leadership largely unproven, younger than Cotchin

Edwards -> not convinced he rises when the heat is on, Cotchin has shown he can on many occasions

Maric -> PERFECT, but not convinced his best football is ahead of him, and sadly does not make him a viable long-term option

I honestly think Cotchin is more suitable than any of the above
Well put.

Pretty sure that Deledio has had excellent games every time he's stood in as captain
The best being the time when he shut Goddard out of the game and picked up about 30 disposals himself

That to me shows that he is the type of player who will step up with the added responsibility

Yeah but cotch has won it by a hair...................style

I agree... how important is finding genuine inside presence this off-season.. i love Cotch and Miles ... but they are both smaller type midfielders.. we need a big body..

As dumb as it sounds Bennell helps us here too. His inside work is underrated but it allows us to have more talent in the guts at all times. Dustin needs to improve his inside work, as he could be elite. Vlaus needs more time in the middle. Lambert is naturally n extractor. Conca is good in tight. If one of Dusty / Bennell / Lids are always rotating through the forward line, we are a dangerous side.

Watching "The Chosen Few" I get the feeling when they all talked about life after footy it seemed Cotch is waiting for this to end. Like he just wants a flag for the purpose of having one. All the others seem to be playing football because that is what they love
I think you'll find football isn't everything to him financially or otherwise and hasn't been since prior to be drafted . He'll do everything to succeeded in footy but won't be bent up if it don't work out .

I think you'll find football isn't everything to him financially or otherwise and hasn't been since prior to be drafted . He'll do everything to succeeded in footy but won't be bent up if it don't work out .
This is what I was gonna say too. He is an ultimate professional at what he does, but in the end its still a job to him. It seems like there's a lack of passion which probably means he just accepts that he will have bad days rather than fighting as if a bad game is a personal failure. I think it's what keeps him from being up with the best. That and he couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Watching that video of Jacko helping Cotch made me revisit Cotch's 2012 highlights again..
s**t what a different player.
He was fast, electric, and looked a lot more stable when running, even kicking at goal.
What is it? Is he injured beyond repair or has captaincy stressed him too badly? Just look at the highlights.. I cant nail it but he looked stronger in the core and slightly less weight up top, and still had the hunch but less so. Looked more explosive through the core/legs as well as that straighter back. Dare I say his face is a LOT less youthful than 2012..

Im still gonna say relieve him of the captaincy, it would be a huge weight removed.
But can he get his body back to 2012 style too I wonder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching that video of Jacko helping Cotch made me revisit Cotch's 2012 highlights again..
He was fast, electric, and looked a lot more stable when running, even kicking at goal.
What is it? Is he injured beyond repair or has captaincy stressed him too badly? Just look at the highlights.. I cant nail it but he looked stronger in the core and slightly less weight up top, and still had the hunch but less so. Looked more explosive through the core/legs as well as that straighter back. Dare I say his face is a LOT less youthful than 2012..

Im still gonna say relieve him of the captaincy, it would be a huge weight removed.
Ever since he injured his knee against Freo

In my opinion (as unprofessional and amatur as possible) this is what is the problem with him being the captain. This is what may make him a decent and good player but not a quality you want from a captain or leader. One main reason why I would love Jack as the captain.

Too true RJ, he has lost some of that spark. His kicking seems to have lost some penetration and he seems to be purely an inside mid now. Also not quite hitting the scoreboard when he goes forward like I would have hoped.
No doubt Jacko has been a big loss and still needs to be replaced.
Having said that Cotch is still a very good player and if he can get his body right still has more upside imo.

This is what I was gonna say too. He is an ultimate professional at what he does, but in the end its still a job to him. It seems like there's a lack of passion which probably means he just accepts that he will have bad days rather than fighting as if a bad game is a personal failure. I think it's what keeps him from being up with the best. That and he couldn't hit the side of a barn.
It's actually what makes him a very good captain and leader of young . Composed , balanced , collected and doesn't publicly exhibit massive highs or massive lows and or get caught up in moments .

So cotchin just thinks oh well s**t happens, and that's what makes him a good captain? Good coach yeah, but I would rather our captain not accept it and try to do something about it. Selwood for example might have a look every time he gets pushed around but at least he pushes back, unlike cotchin who just takes it in the ass.

So cotchin just thinks oh well s**t happens, and that's what makes him a good captain? Good coach yeah, but I would rather our captain not accept it and try to do something about it. Selwood for example might have a look every time he gets pushed around but at least he pushes back, unlike cotchin who just takes it in the ass.
You assume he thinks s**t happens and does nothing because it suits your agenda . Go back and have a look at key moments of games during the season and see who it is time and time again who has a major impact at critical times .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back