A beginners guide to rugby league - for newbies

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'd really like to know is more about NRL culture. Who is the Collingwood of the NRL?
In terms of most hated = Manly (although Canterbury and Melbourne Storm come close)
In terms of most feral fans = Canterbury Bulldogs
In terms of most powerful = Broncos
Who is the, dare I say it, Port Adelaide of the NRL?
Can't think of any team that got promoted from a state league outside NSW into the NRL.
Which teams are perennially s**t like Richmond?
South Sydney, they have only made two finals series since 1990. Cronulla have been around since 1967 and still haven't won a premiership so you could say them as well (although I consider them to be the NRL equivalent of Norf).
Do people despise Storm for being an expansion franchise, or are they admired for doing well in the AFL heartland?
Depends on the fan. I hate them for being a bunch of cheats but as a Broncos fan it is also because they knocked us out of the finals three years in a rwo (2007-2009) while they were cheating. I felt that we were robbed of some potential premierships but it does make the 2006 win sweeter. I also hate them because most of their players are Queenslanders who should be playing for the Broncos, Titans or Cowboys.
Who is the player that commentators love (like Buddy or Rioli)? Stuff like that.
Matt Bowen, Billy Slater and Jarryd Hayne are the first that comes to mind.

Hope this helps.

Can't think of any team that got promoted from a state league outside NSW into the NRL.

Re: Port I meant clubs that are financially poor off field and s**t on it.

So, I never really even knew what Rugby League was and that it was a completely different sport from Union up until a couple of years ago. GEM started showing some NRL games on FTA and I think I watched about 4-5 of them during the year. At first it was a little confusing, but I think it's actually quite interesting. I'd like to know more about tactics, strategies and whatever.

First of all, welcome to Rugby League mate. Feel free to come in here and ask any question relating to the sport regarding anything, whether that be on or off the field, trivial or not. Basically don't feel any question is too stupid to ask.

There area number of tactics that are used in Rugby League, and a number of those tactics are dependent on where on the field the team is. But on an overall match type tactics, the most used are the following:

Attacking:

The Power game - Big Forwards that push over the advantage line (The advantage line is the line 10 meters away from the play-the-ball and is where the referee gets the team to retreat to after a tackle, failure of a player to go back 10 meters will result in a penalty - for offside - if he gets involved in the following play). The idea is that the big forwards will move their side deep into the oppositions side of the field where the backs can come into their own and put on the expansive & attractive plays to push for tries etc.

Short-passes - Made famous last season by the Canterbury Bulldogs, this can be done by teams with all players who have great ball handling skills. It may include passing to a forward to get the defense thinking he will take a run, then for that forward to pass to another forward for a run or out the back to a back-line player to put an attacking move on. It is not uncommon for a play to contain more than two or three passes. The idea behind this is that within doing so you make the opposition's defense work overtime, tiring them out and gradually making more meters than you would (in theory) from a hit-up (a forward's run). This may also create wholes in the defensive line which can give room up the middle of the field to run through (creating a line break) and making more meters.

The Long kicking game - When on the last tackle, kicking to space is beneficial to any team. When it comes to long kicking it gives the chasers of the kick more time to get to the man retrieving the ball and limiting the amount of space he has to try and create a counter-attack. (Billy Slater & Ben Barba are two of the best at bringing the ball back from fullback). This can also include a move made famous, a couple of years ago by the Penrith Panthers, they persisted on kicking bombs high into the air and attack the ball while it was coming down, putting the opposition fullback under immense pressure.

The short kicking game - This can be vital to certain team chances. This can include cross field kicks to wingers, to create a 50-50 mid-air competition for the ball. Grubbering the ball (kick where the ball rolls along the ground) into the oppositions in-goal area and trapping them there to force a drop out and get another set with the ball. Short kicking game can also be beneficial mid-field with a grubber or short chip kick over the opposition defense but before the fullback to give the attacking team a chance of retrieving the ball in open space. Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater pull this off the best.

Support play - Where the back-line players, mainly the fullback, halfback or five-eighth runs off the shoulder of one of the bigger men or his hooker. The idea is a short pass mid-tackle to the faster player will give the team the opportunity to create a line break. Cameron Smith, and Billy Slater are masters at this.

Dummy half runs - Where a player runs from Dummy half (the position of the field where the already tackled player plays-the-ball back too) to attempt to catch the defensive off-guard and catch them off-side earning or team a penalty or create space earning your team plenty of meters.

Decoy Runners or optional runners - This is where you have plenty of bodies in motion (as the commentators will say). Basically what it means that is that one team will have a number of players running at the opposition in an attempt to confuse the opposition. If the defense falls for it can create space and often a try (this tactic is used mostly close to the try line) or the defense tackles a player without the ball, the defense gets penalised. Warning though, if one of those decoy or optional runners gets in the way of a defender and creates a whole or space for his own side, the attacking team will be penalised for obstruction.

Defense tactics

The up-and-in - The up-and-in style of defense is when the defensive side will rush up on the attacking players in an attempt to cut down their time to make attacking decisions and room to move in. This can be negated with a sidestep if the attacking player is good enough and aware at the time

The sliding defense - Sliding defense is when the defensive team will slide across the defensive line in the same direction of which the attacking team is passing the ball. The idea of this is to slide the attacking team towards the touchline. The players in defense of the inside of the ball need to continue sliding as well because a inside pass from the attacking team will see them run into a whole if a gap is left.

Pressure on the kicker - A defensive ploy which almost all teams use is to place pressure on the kicker when he goes to kick the ball. Whether this is done through rushing up on him, attempting a charge-down (or a smother). The idea is making the play maker or kicker rush a kick will result in a good result for the defensive team due to a poor kick. (If a charge-down is successful by the defensive team, it is not deemed a knock-on and if they regain the ball plays resume with tackle 1 on the next successful tackle. But if the attacking team runs is the team that retrieves the ball, the count count restarts.

Wrestling in the ruck - You will see team wrestle during tackles to in a attempt to slow down the play the ball so the defense has time in getting back on side. Some wrestling tactics have been banned. These are the ones where players pull parts of the bodies in a hurtful manner away from their bodies. But the in most cases this is attempted to try and get the attacking player on his back (resulting a slower play the ball) or slow the tackle down for the defense to get more people into the tackle. The more people in the tackle the more time it will take for them to get off the tackles player which results in a slower play the ball. If the players are too slow to remove themselves off the tackled player a penalty will be given for slowing down the play the ball.

Hands on the ball/arm - during a tackle a defensive players will attempt to slow the play the ball down by putting their hands/arms on the attacking players arm/hand or ball. If this is down after the referee calls tackled or held a penalty will be given for slowing down the play the ball.

Restart tactics

Halfway restart, kick offs and drop outs - These are most common restarts. The team kicking the ball have a few options in regards to this. The most common option is to kick the ball long for territory purposes keeping the opposition as far away from your try line as possible. A short kick off or drop out often occurs, but not always, when a team is desperate for the ball and feel the game is getting away from them with only a little time left on the clock. This is when a team will kick the ball short in an attempt to regain the ball. The ball in this instance but at least travel 10 meters in the air, failure in doing so is a penalty against the kicking team. If the kicking team kicks the ball out of the field of player on the full, that too results in a penalty. If the ball travels into the oppositions goal area (try area), bounces and then goes out of the field of play, the opposition must restart the game with a drop out. If the ball bounces in the regular field of play before going out. The kicking team receives a scrum loose-head-and-feed (or a attacking scrum).

20 meter optional tap - This when during game-play, the attacking team turns over possession of the ball by kicking the ball dead in goal (out of the oppositions goal area). With a optional tap restart, the team taking the tap kick has a number of options of how they may take the restart. 1) Tapping the ball on the foot at the 20 meter line before play restarts. 2) Rushing back the to 20 meter line in an attempt to catch the opposition off-guard and not back the required 10 meters and gain a lot of meters of their own. 3) punt kicking the ball down the field. If the ball bounces into touch, the kicking team receives a scrum, if it goes out on the full a penalty to the opposition where the ball was kicked and if it doesn't go out at all, its play-on as with all other restarts.

There are plenty more tactics but this should get you started. After watching more and more games and the more you get familiar with the game you will start to be able to identify these and more (possibly yet to be created) tactics.

What I'd really like to know is more about NRL culture. Who is the Collingwood of the NRL? Who is the, dare I say it, Port Adelaide of the NRL? Which teams are perennially s**t like Richmond? Do people despise Storm for being an expansion franchise, or are they admired for doing well in the AFL heartland? Who is the player that commentators love (like Buddy or Rioli)? Stuff like that.

On NRL culture, The NRL culture is part of the wider Rugby League culture both here in Australia and around the world. Rugby League started off as the poor mans game and has turned into the every mans game. The reason for this is because Rugby League was created from a split of the old game that was purely known as "Rugby" (which would be unrecognisable to anyone living today) of which "unions" played. Rugby League, or Northern Union, broke away from these unions due to a pay dispute (Union was not willing to pay compensation for injured players who were unable to work due to playing which League took the other foot. Union did this to maintain Amateurism but also felt that if you weren't rich enough to miss out on work to play then you shouldn't be playing). Thus Rugby League has heartland all over the world in areas of 'Battlers'. The North of England, The South of France, Western Sydney, country NSW/QLD etc etc etc. Because of this Rugby League has turned into a family for those involved whether a player, staff, fan, member or any other shape.

All of the following question depend on which fan or Rugby League person you are talking too. I will do my best to answer you questions for you though, despite my own belief that all clubs from all sports are unique and completely different.

Who is the Collingwood of the NRL?

In terms of success and large support base - The South Sydney Rabbitohs.

South Sydney have large success over a long period of time, currently holding the most premierships of any other club with 20 (The next closest is 15, by the St George Dragons (who can't add to this tally due to merging with the Illawarra Steelers and becoming the St George Illawarra Dragons)) though recent times have been down, they have not won a premiership since 1971. Things are changing though with the reemergence of a powerful Rabbitohs in 2012.

In terms of getting a lot of grief about their supporters (Rightfully or wrongfully) - The Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs & The South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Unlike Collingwood, the Bulldogs get grief due to some unpleasant crowd behaviour a number of years ago which has now ceased. The type of crowd behaviour would be comparable to the current problem soccer is finding itself in.

The Rabbitohs are the team you will find people harassing them for their fans looking homeless or like they are on centrelink benefits.

In terms of being the team everyone hate - Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

In the world of the NRL, you either love the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles or hate them with everything you have.

Who is the, dare I say it, Port Adelaide of the NRL?

In terms of being brought up into the National competition from a lower level - The Cronulla Sutherland Sharks.

The Sharks debuted in the top league in 1967 as the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks but were in were around since 1963 as Cronulla-Caringbah in lower leagues

In terms of being the younger brother of a close larger side with more success - The Gold Coast Titans

The Titans, similar to the Power, in that not far away from them is the Brisbane Broncos. the older brother if you will that has seen more success on and off the field than themselves.

Which teams are perennially s**t like Richmond?

The NRL is a very close competition, going off a memory of a quote all clubs have made the finals in the past five years or so. A true testament to what some call one of the closest professional sporting competitions in the world.

However within saying that the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks have not won a premiership since starting in the competition in 1967.

Do people despise Storm for being an expansion franchise, or are they admired for doing well in the AFL heartland?

Very much depends on who you talk too. The Melbourne Storm have done a wonderful job in gaining their own slice of the Melbourne sporting scene and over the past five years especially becoming part of Melbourne itself. I think you will be hard pressed to fine a regular fan who hates the Storm because they are a expansion team, I think those have had their minds changed or been slowly removed. A lot of hate that comes towards to the Melbourne Storm currently is due to the salary cap scandal which cheated other teams out of a fair chance at a premiership. However in saying that, I believe it was probably the second best thing to ever happen to the Storm as fans and Melbourne rallied behind the club with what turned out to be a "us vs them" mentality.

Who is the player that commentators love (like Buddy or Rioli)?

Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)
Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)
Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)
Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)
Jonathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
Ben Barba (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Sonny Bill Williams (Sydney Roosters)
Anthony Minichiello (Sydney Roosters)
Braith Anasta (Wests Tigers)
Brett Morris (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Josh Morris (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Paul Gallen (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Todd Carney (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Luke Lewis (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Jamie Soward (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Brett Stewart (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
Tony Williams (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)

Just to get you started.

Hopefully all of this comes as some help to you.

So, I never really even knew what Rugby League was and that it was a completely different sport from Union up until a couple of years ago. GEM started showing some NRL games on FTA and I think I watched about 4-5 of them during the year. At first it was a little confusing, but I think it's actually quite interesting. I'd like to know more about tactics, strategies and whatever.

What I'd really like to know is more about NRL culture. Who is the Collingwood of the NRL? Who is the, dare I say it, Port Adelaide of the NRL? Which teams are perennially s**t like Richmond? Do people despise Storm for being an expansion franchise, or are they admired for doing well in the AFL heartland? Who is the player that commentators love (like Buddy or Rioli)? Stuff like that.

Most hated - Manly and Broncos
Most history - Souths, St George and Balmain (Wests)
Free agency and salary cap constraints mean that bottom teams can rise to the top 8 and even top 4 very quickly, and vice versa - see Roosters, Panthers, Gold Coast, Cronulla, Warriors, Raiders for examples.
Most like Richmond - probably North Sydney, before they went bust. Hadn't won a title since the 30s I think. Maybe Cronulla now.
Difficult not to generalise, but in Sydney the Storm were seen as an innocent novelty - say like the Brisbane Lions - but are now seen as cheats
Commentators love so many players it's not funny. Andrew Johns was an all-time favourite. Danny Buderus for inexplicable reasons.

Western Suburbs has just as much history as Balmain, be it not as successful. The two merger and became the Wests Tigers. Seen as a new club that carries the history of Western Suburbs & Balmain.

As a former Storm supporter I'd have to say that pre cheating people generally either disliked them as arrogant or didn't really care. Post cheating most people hate the Storm with a passion. I am one of those people.

The thing is you can label the club as cheats but it was back room staff that cheated, not the players that ran onto the field week in and week out.

I would also add the "fans, members, sponsors and shareholders" to the players category.

But I hope this doesn't turn into another discussion on that. We've all move past it. Lets keep this thread for the reason it was created.

I'm another Rugby League type. Western Sydney based Bulldogs fan. Will help out where I can.

Could someone please explain to me why League still has defined positions such as a hooker, standoff etc.
Since scrums are uncontested these days, the players do not really have defined jobs to do.
There are forwards who all basically do the same and backs, who basically all do the same.

The other League oddity IMO is how a tackled player has to imitate a fish on dry ground when tackled - flopping around knowing full well that it is a total waste of energy and will achieve absolutely nothing.

oupa

wot I reckon
seems to clearly illustrate your linguistic skill.
So, if you can answer my question that would be great, if not, go play with your Xbox until you have grown up.

I used to follow the game, but cannot understand where it is going.
Without the contested scrum, I am unable to see why positions are defined as everyone does the same job.
The only difference is that some players can run faster than others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could someone please explain to me why League still has defined positions such as a hooker, standoff etc.
Since scrums are uncontested these days, the players do not really have defined jobs to do.
There are forwards who all basically do the same and backs, who basically all do the same.

The other League oddity IMO is how a tackled player has to imitate a fish on dry ground when tackled - flopping around knowing full well that it is a total waste of energy and will achieve absolutely nothing.

oupa

Hookers were or are named hookers because in the days before the uncontested scrums (1895 to 1983 or 84) hookers hooked for the ball. Modern hookers still pack down into the scrum but the days of hookers hooking in the scrum are over and they now must have the skills of a halfback with there passing game.
The roll of a stand off hasn't changed since the game started 118 years ago. A tactical kicker with the responsibility of igniting the back line and leading the team around the field.
Forwards and backs in the modern game do play similar roles in that forwards are now expected to be able to ball play, catch and pass just the backs used to. Backs are expected to be able to roll there sleeves up and do the tough stuff just like forwards.
You say that you used to follow the game. If that was true you'd know that the tackled player isn't flapping like a fish after a tackle, he is infact trying to show the ref that he is trying to get to his feet to play the ball as quickly as possible. So to say it is a total waste of time would suggest that you either have never watched a game of league in your life or that you are someone that has watched league but has done so with a biased view. The fact that a ref will award a penalty against a tackling player holding down a tackled player is one of the basics of the game.

Perhaps I am biased.
I followed the game during the eighties and must admit I do not like the "modern" game.
I find it boring when players who look like they were cloned just keep bashing into each other until there is a chip kick.

I've been in love with the game since i was a kid Oupa, but i have to admit i've grown tired of the way the game seems to want clone second rowers and centres. It's turned into a game for 6'2inch, 15 to 15 stone players. I miss the days of the crafty little blokes and the smaller guys with outstanding ball playing abilities like Cliff Lyon or Garry Schofield from England.

Oddly enough the games best moments are still brought to us by guys like, Slater, Johnson, Cronk, Marshall, Thurston and Carney etc. who was great last night.

No doubt the game has changed, but it's faster and played by better athletes who are probably far superior defensively than their counterparts of years gone by.

For a game with little defense and lots of scoring I can get my fix from other forms of footy while still enjoying the close physical contact of the two rugbies.

So you can't be offside in your own in-goal area? I never knew that. Hull KR just scored a try where Catalans kicked through, and it went forward off Dobson's boot, and was picked up behind his line by the full-back, clearly in front of Dobson, and he ran the length of the pitch to score. It went up to the video ref, and I clearly heard the ref says, he can't be offside (the commentary is in French).

I myself am from a Rugby background (Dad played first grade for Uni) however i'm relatively interested in League and just have some questions.

Is there much one on one defense? you always see a bloke run it up and get tackled by three people or so and it just makes me wonder why they wouldn't draw all those players then pass again to the halfback and then throw it wide to space?

Who are the best tactical kickers? it seem's like some guys just kick simple kicks on the full to the fullbacks which are so easy to take and run back, i think Cooper Cronk would be the best?

In that Granny where Manly thumped the Storm why was the Storms defensive line so far back? (bewildered me then and now)

Was the change from 5 meters back to 10 a good one?

Can the tackler strip the ball only if its one on one?

Is the Scrum purely to open up space?

Why do so many players have shitty tattoos?

How do youngsters get to clubs, is it zoning?

Whats the deal with stadium deals?

Are the Broncos the equivalent of West Coast?

Is there much one on one defense? you always see a bloke run it up and get tackled by three people or so and it just makes me wonder why they wouldn't draw all those players then pass again to the halfback and then throw it wide to space?

I guess it's just part of the tactics used to tire teams out so that later in the game you can exploit it.

Who are the best tactical kickers? it seem's like some guys just kick simple kicks on the full to the fullbacks which are so easy to take and run back, i think Cooper Cronk would be the best?

Cronk would be the best, Thurston's good too. I would agree far too many go to direct opponents and the space on the ground isn't utilised better.

In that Granny where Manly thumped the Storm why was the Storms defensive line so far back? (bewildered me then and now)

I'm not sure.

Was the change from 5 meters back to 10 a good one?

I think so. The game is more open now than before.

Can the tackler strip the ball only if its one on one?

That's right and I disagree with this.

Is the Scrum purely to open up space?

It's a genuine restart of play. It might not look like much, but at least we don't waste a shitload of time on them.

Why do so many players have shitty tattoos?

Why do people even have tattoos?

How do youngsters get to clubs, is it zoning?

I'm not sure really sure. In Melbourne you just go and play for a club. I'm guessing in NSW and QLD you'd still represent the district you play in.

Whats the deal with stadium deals?

I heard some clubs get a 100k to play at ANZ, but don't know much about it really.

Are the Broncos the equivalent of West Coast?

In what way?

the change back to 10 metres is the main reason i came back to the game, 5 metres just wasn't footy. look at the difference in both hit ups and line brakes, high impact tackles, we see the ball move a lot more, its allowing the smaller players to make a bigger impact on the game and it allows the leagues biggest boys to bring back power running.

LOL about the broncos losing premierships because of melbournes cheating

The Broncos would have TPAs all over the place running a cap far higher then the storms.

And the broncos last premiership only came about because the ref got on the broncos and rode them all the way home.

If anything the broncos and storm are quite similar clubs but the storm tend to develop their talent and the broncos well they just buy fullbacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back