A Circular Line For Melbourne Trains

Remove this Banner Ad

How about a 'circle line' which goes half way around the suburbs

eg connecting:
Glen Waverley-Alamein-Surrey Hills-Ivanhoe-Preston-Coburg-Pascoe Vale-Melbourne Airport-St Albans-Sunshine-Newport-Balaclava-Monash University Clayton-Glen Waverley

or something along those lines.

Thereby it is now possible to commute from the suburbs to another suburb much more easily without a car or catching the bus. You will note 2 stations added above, good chance to add a few more where lines may not exist. All up say 20ish stations on this circular line? Also a good chance to link Melbourne Airport to all train lines (there can be a direct line from Southern Cross too), Monash University, other important places not currently served by trains.

The majority of the line would be underground. Could also run another line connecting all the end stations or something in another 10yrs as Melbourne continues to expand?

Crap idea or some merit?

When the Hawthorn BF board nominate me! :p lol
MelbTrainMapFlogeffort.jpg

Black is the 1st new line, red following 10yrs later.....and no i don't know how to use paint or have photoshop lol

Anyone with ideas for extra stations?
All comments welcome. Even if you don't like it (the idea not my artwork) state why !

I've been harping on about this for awhile now, seems to be to deaf ears. When I lost my licence, if I wanted to get to work in Glen Iris from home I wuld need to get on the train from Surrey Hills, go into Burnley, then back out to Glen Iris station. Took about 60 mins.

Rather then spending money on new roads which encourages road travel, they need to link the all the 'spokes' of the wheel together and stick bike tracks everywhere.

It's just too expensive.

Now that Melbourne's public transport system has been privatised, there is practically no incentive to build a new line. The State Government needs to step in and subsidise its construction - or construct it on its own and charge rental fees for the private companies to use it.

A few years ago, NAB Capital and Macquarie Bank came up with the idea of buying up all the land along the Glen Waverley line between Hawthorn way and Burnley. They wanted to buy the land, make the track go underground in a subway format...and then sell of the land at the surface to turn a profit. Very inventive, creative and profitable idea (considering the land value of that strip) but I don't think it ever got past idea stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats wrong with electic buses ?

BTW out my front door I'm looking at the old 'outer circle' train route - now a bike track,

It never worked
Exactly, we've had the outer circle.

Elsternwick lined up through Ormond and around to Carnegie. The Alamein line circled right around the whole Eastern suburbs, I think we even had a rail line through the inner city through Royal Park at one stage too (part of it still used for trams).

Most of the land is still there as parkland, you can see in the Melways where the lines once were. Perhaps the planners 50 years ago were ahead of their time.

When the Hawthorn BF board nominate me! :p lol
MelbTrainMapFlogeffort.jpg

Black is the 1st new line, red following 10yrs later.....and no i don't know how to use paint or have photoshop lol

Beautiful drawing. I think this is absolutely essential infrastructure for Melbourne, but of course costly. The good news is the foundations are already there. At least we can bring back the inner circle train line connecting Royal park and Rushall, this would give us an East-West connection. The other low hanging fruit that would make this connection work better is connecting West Richmond station to Richmond station. This would mean you can get anywhere from the east to the north, or north to west, without going through the city. People might actually start leaving their suburbs, imagine that! When the airport line comes in it also means Airport to Eastern/NE suburbs connection.

Attachments

• 951px-Melbrail_former_present_proposed.svg.png
    951px-Melbrail_former_present_proposed.svg.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 103

Remove this Banner Ad

Back