Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
In my opinion, if Dangerfield leaves the Crows (a proposition that seems to be more likely with every passing week), it would seriously hurt the Crows a lot more then Ablett leaving Geelong or Hawthorn losing Buddy.

My perception is that the Cats and Hawks reluctantly accepted their marquee players were leaving during their season, and just got on with it, but the Crows are fighting tooth and nail to keep Danger.

It would be an unmitigated disaster from a PR point of view if Dangerfield leaves, esp if Port make or win this year's flag.

It's more then losing Dangerfield's onfield talents that would wound the Crows.

If the best player from the main club in Australia's 2nd biggest footy state doesn't 'buy into' Walsh and Riccuito's vision for the Crows future, who will ?

Unlike Buddy and Ablett's departures Dangerfield's decision simply won't be based on financial gain. The club's administration and credibility is on the line, the club has barely gotten over Tippet-Gate yet .

FYI I honestly hope he stays in Adelaide, its not a good look for the AFL to have a big name star leave their club every year...

In my opinion, if Dangerfield leaves the Crows (a proposition that seems to be more likely with every passing week), it would seriously hurt the Crows a lot more then Ablett leaving Geelong or Hawthorn losing Buddy.

If the best player from the main club in Australia's 2nd biggest footy state doesn't 'buy into' Walsh and Riccuito's vision for the Crows future, who will ?

Hard to say, keeping Ablett may have given Geelong another premiership and isn't that the be all and end all?

I know I shouldn't, but how is Sth Oz the 2nd biggest footy state?

My perception is that the Cats and Hawks reluctantly accepted their marquee players were leaving during their season, and just got on with it, but the Crows are fighting tooth and nail to keep Danger.

It would be an unmitigated disaster from a PR point of view if Dangerfield leaves, esp if Port make or win this year's flag.

Unlike Buddy and Ablett's departures Dangerfield's decision simply won't be based on financial gain. The club's administration and credibility is on the line, the club has barely gotten over Tippet-Gate yet .

FYI I honestly hope he stays in Adelaide, its not a good look for the AFL to have a big name star leave their club every year...

Bay 13 fun aside I tend to disagree

Whilst Dangerfield is a good player the position he plays is somewhat more expendable than Buddy's

Certainly the Hawks coped well with Roughhead and Gunston but if it was a different club with lesser lights in their F50 it would have been massive to lose him compared to a midfielder

Whilst Dangerfield is a good player he can go missing in a match often compared to Ablett's (now best player in the comp?) consistency

Of course the Ablett name was also more synonymous with the Cats as well than what Dangerfield's is with the Crows.

Bay 13 fun aside I tend to disagree

Whilst Dangerfield is a good player the position he plays is somewhat more expendable than Buddy's

Certainly the Hawks coped well with Roughhead and Gunston but if it was a different club with lesser lights in their F50 it would have been massive to lose him compared to a midfielder

Whilst Dangerfield is a good player he can go missing in a match often compared to Ablett's (now best player in the comp?) consistency

Of course the Ablett name was also more synonymous with the Cats as well than what Dangerfield's is with the Crows.
ITT: OP overrates Dangerfield
ITT: Port fans desperately over-correct.

At least we don't have Trigg. :$

If Adelaide have a good season, he'll stay. If they flounder about and there's issues in the background we're unaware of, he'll leave. I genuinely believe he meant what he said when he said he'll wait to see the direction the club heads.

If Adelaide have a good season, he'll stay. If they flounder about and there's issues in the background we're unaware of, he'll leave. I genuinely believe he meant what he said when he said he'll wait to see the direction the club heads.

Basically this.

I feel pretty desensitized to the whole Dangerfield situation. At the end of the day, losing DF would be bad but we need to keep things in perspective. He's only one player. Losing him wouldn't be nearly as bad as the blow we suffered with Tippett-gate where we lost two years worth of picks plus we got absolutely nothing for one of the leagues better tall forwards (and he is too, GF aside). If your talking about negative impact on a club, you can't really top that unless you support Carlton.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Goddard and dal santo leaving Saints was more devastating.

I agree with this. Dangerfield leaving would be far worse for Adelaide then losing Ablett or Franklin was for Geelong and Hawthorn though had a lot more depth to cover the loss

I think Goddard and dal santo leaving Saints was more devastating.
St Kilda were already on the way down and rebuilding and the compo picks would've assisted with that (though they traded them away questionably). Adelaide would be hoping to move up the ladder and have a crack at a flag - Dangerfield's departure would derail that plan.

St Kilda were already on the way down and rebuilding and the compo picks would've assisted with that (though they traded them away questionably). Adelaide would be hoping to move up the ladder and have a crack at a flag - Dangerfield's departure would derail that plan.

Agreed, they didn't use the picks that well, but drafted well around those picks. So it probably allowed them to go for more likely prospects in midfielders than speculative types like rucks or KPD's.

Walker is already signed and captain. Dangerfield is not on the same level as Buddy or Ablett jr. He wouldn't even be the best player at Geelong. It'd be better for Adelaide to lose him than pay more than they realistically think he's worth.

Might be a blessing he goes, Brodie Smith wants to play in the guts and Matt and Brad Crouch want to play every week. The Crows will be fine, they'll certainly have cash to throw around to get a decent replacement.

This is the two tiered system FA has created, St Kilda forced full on into a rebuild and a dozen years at the bottom of the ladders while sides like Sydney, Geelong & Hawthorn have used it to rise again rather then fall.

Oh. My. God. You are kidding aren't you? How many more of these bullshit threads do we have to endure?! He's still got a year to run on his fargin contract! Would you expect any other player to sign so early? Bloody Victorian media fuelling the insanity, and so many are taking it hook line and sinker. In the words of Frozen......."Let it go!......."

This is EXACTLY right. As simple as that. We show we're a premiership threat the first half of the year, Danger sees what Walshy does, if he likes it he'll sign. Not a shadow of a doubt. And he will.

Might be a blessing he goes, Brodie Smith wants to play in the guts and Matt and Brad Crouch want to play every week. The Crows will be fine, they'll certainly have cash to throw around to get a decent replacement.

We may well be fine, but you do not just let a player, a match winner, like Dangerfield, go, and think it's ok. It's not. He's bloody good. Game breaking good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back