A Drinkers Guide To Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Before Etihad games, The Mitre Tavern. Oldest licensed pub in Melbourne.
Mitre2-20120711135958879916-600x400.jpg

Another vote for Mitre Tavern. Tend to go there to catch up with mates mid-week for lunch and a few quiet bevvies there. Can get rowdy on a Friday, though, especially if the weather is fine.

Here now. Interior is small. Olde building has charm. Everybody is old. But it is 4.06pm on a Monday... haven't been on Bank Place before, that's my excuse :p

P.S. Guinness is overrated. I remember why I haven't bought it in years.

P.P.S. There's a guy who looks like Andrew Sullivan but it's probably not.

Here now. Interior is small. Olde building has charm. Everybody is old. But it is 4.06pm on a Monday... haven't been on Bank Place before, that's my excuse :p

P.S. Guinness is overrated. I remember why I haven't bought it in years.

P.P.S. There's a guy who looks like Andrew Sullivan but it's probably not.

Overrated and overpriced. Mate of mine did have a pint of Guinness for lunch in lieu of something solid, so there's that going for it.

There was once a barman who was a dead ringer for Mitchell Starc working the bar one afternoon. Never saw him again, so I'm thinking that Cricket Australia found out that Starc was pulling pints in Melbourne and told him to knock it off.

Used to watch the Formula One coverage at the Charles Dickens. A group of addicted motorsport fans convinced the owner to get pirate satellite TV and we used to go every fortnight like clockwork to watch practice and qualifying (this was well before Channel Ten put qualifying sessions on OneHD) and then the race live, rather than whenever Channel 9 could be bothered showing the race.

Pretty sure that there was qualifying for a race on at the Charles Dickens at the same time as the 2004 grand final was being played. There was a huge group of people watching the football while a much smaller group watched the Formula One.

Haven't been to the Dickens in a while.

Used to drink a bit at the Kingston Hotel in Richmond (Highett Street near the West Richmond station) when I lived in Richmond more than 10 years ago. From memory, it was a decent pub.

I'm a Melbourne Uni alum, so used to spend a lot of time at Prince Alfred's (PAs), the Naughton, the Clyde, the Brass Monkey and the Lemon Tree. It was ironic that I ended up sending my children to childcare at the Lemon Tree for a while when our family was in Carlton.

If you're looking for good suburban bars in the east, Bar None/East of Everything are hard to go past.
Bar none is good. Expensive but nice cocktails and generally good service

I don't mind The National in Richmond. And the Aviary.

Victoria Street has a mixed reputation with some of its other problems in the vicinity, but there's some decent enough drinking to be done along it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind The National in Richmond. And the Aviary.

Victoria Street has a mixed reputation with some of its other problems in the vicinity, but there's some decent enough drinking to be done along it.

The National was my local for about 6 weeks not long ago. Was living in lambert street.

Most recently there on Saturday night for a few before a house warming which was the house I just moved out of

I like it

Yeah I work at a independent so I generally just buy stuff there, otherwise Dan Murphy's.

For some reason the Woolworths and Coles owned bottle shops are pretty bad value wise.

Woolworths owns Dan Murphy's. ;)

Anyone know of some cheap places to go in the CBD on a Saturday night?

Basically just somewhere to get smashed.
Asian Beer Cafe in Melbourne central is pretty cool. They do $8 jugs of their house beer, and the rest are fairly reasonable too. They used to do 2 for 1 cocktails on Sundays too, not that it helps you on Saturday night

Asian Beer Cafe in Melbourne central is pretty cool. They do $8 jugs of their house beer, and the rest are fairly reasonable too. They used to do 2 for 1 cocktails on Sundays too, not that it helps you on Saturday night
It's ******* s**t.

Those $8 jugs are watered down to absolute piss. I reckon it would take you about four jugs to yourself to be at the level of three normal pints.

And you can like ABC, but calling it cool? It's incredibly, painfully uncool.

That's the very place my mates and I are aiming to avoid.

We go there a fair bit cause my mates are tight arses but I'm fed up with the s**t drinks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back