A game a round requiring online subscription?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2018 - Colyer, Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti and McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2017 Essendon Player Sponsor 2016 Essendon Player Sponsor 2014 Essendon Player Sponsor 2015
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
So he has said that he is considering playing a game a round which is only viewable to people with a paid online subscription. This guy is a legitimate clown.

• Banned
The AFL is set to start negotiations with TV networks for the new broadcasting rights that are expected to reach as high as $2 billion.

League CEO Gillon McLachlan has already said that the new rights deal will look very different to the current setup but that he would like to continue the relationship with Seven and Foxtel.

One of the significant changes could be the possibility of AFL media broadcasting a match every week that would only be viewable with an online subscription.

The move would be financially lucrative for the AFL but also a bold one given the amount of dissatisfaction fans had with the rising cost of watching football.

“We’re preaching that we’re going to try and cut costs but here would be another added expense to supporters.

“Whatever it’s an added cost to a sport that’s already put its hand up and said they’re charging fans too much in different layers, be it tickets, food and other added costs,” explained Patrick Smith on SEN radio.

It is believed a yearly subscription would be available if the idea is employed.

The Commission has also discussed signing the pay-TV side of the contract to a shorter deal than the free-to-air network.

So he has said that he is considering playing a game a round which is only viewable to people with a paid online subscription. This guy is a legitimate clown.
Sounds awesome to me. The sooner the AFL goes to an online subscription model and I don't have to pay a premium to Foxtel for a bunch of crap I never watch, the better.

I legit read this as Gillon himself pulling on the boots and playing a match every week with some mates or something that would only be viewable on paid subscription.

I legit read this as Gillon himself pulling on the boots and playing a match every week with some mates or something that would only be viewable on paid subscription.
Glad I was not the only one. :p

Sounds awesome to me. The sooner the AFL goes to an online subscription model and I don't have to pay a premium to Foxtel for a bunch of crap I never watch, the better.
3/4 games on FTA, 4 games Fox, 1 game online is not a good result. If you pay for Foxtel you should at least get every game!

If it has an app/channel for my Roku and it's in HD then I'd pay $50 a year for it.

I don't want to be tied to my computer or tablet to watch it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect this may be the start of club based subscriptions, where a viewer would pay $X per season for a certain club's games. A lot of people wouldn't mind that, since they may only be interested in games featuring the team they follow.

Gee, I wonder which game will be the online subscription :rolleyes:

North, Bulldogs and Saints fans better start upgrading their Ipads for Sunday afternoons.

I suspect this may be the start of club based subscriptions, where a viewer would pay $X per season for a certain club's games. A lot of people wouldn't mind that, since they may only be interested in games featuring the team they follow.

It has also resulted in the death of alot of football leagues around the world because of this model.

The EPL is seen as extremely successful because it still has an equalisation model similat to the AFL, where the rights are distributed equally amongst clubs.

La Liga is completely ****ed, as is alot of the NBA, because a few clubs have the Lions share of the entire TV rights. Barcelona and Real Madrid essentially share about 90% of the world and local rights for the league. The other 20 odd clubs get the rest.

It has also resulted in the death of alot of football leagues around the world because of this model.

The EPL is seen as extremely successful because it still has an equalisation model similat to the AFL, where the rights are distributed equally amongst clubs.

La Liga is completely ******, as is alot of the NBA, because a few clubs have the Lions share of the entire TV rights. Barcelona and Real Madrid essentially share about 90% of the world and local rights for the league. The other 20 odd clubs get the rest.
I see your point, but I would say that using the word "death" to describe La Liga and the NBA isn't particularly accurate for two of the most followed sporting Leagues in the world.

Foxtel isnt the AFL's friend.

Foxtel is the bunny.

The AFL want to deliver the content directly to fans, not involving Foxtel at all.
Foxtel sucks. But Fox Footy is great. I'd rather not pay for all of foxtel just for the footy plus a few other things (like my NFL, cricket etc) but if I do have to pay for it I want all the games without having to pay an extra fee to join AFL live broadcasting and hook an ipad up to the TV for 1 game a week.

I see your point, but I would say that using the word "death" to describe La Liga and the NBA isn't particularly accurate for two of the most followed sporting Leagues in the world.

Would you like to make a series of bets with me, concerning games between Real or Barca, and non-Real and Barca teams ? I'll take Real and Barca, and you take everyone else.

Regarding the NBA, they are pretty aggressive with revenue sharing - "small market" teams are disadvantaged, but not overwhelmingly.

Foxtel sucks. But Fox Footy is great. I'd rather not pay for all of foxtel just for the footy plus a few other things (like my NFL, cricket etc) but if I do have to pay for it I want all the games without having to pay an extra fee to join AFL live broadcasting and hook an ipad up to the TV for 1 game a week.

Paying for Fox Footy alone, on the other hand, isnt something Foxtel is willing to sell you - their business model relies on the people who only want AFL, or NRL, or Super 15, to have to pay for the whole package.

Foxtel is fine if you have a family and enjoy movie, docos etc. It's not all as bad as people make it

* there are some sooks. Why should it be a persons right to get free matches to watch on tv?
If you want it, pay for it. If not listen to it on the radio

The problem with this country is there are too many people who want everything for nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back