A game a round requiring online subscription?

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxtel is the ducks nuts, just get the sports package if you don't want to shell out for platinum.

I had it installed about 15 yrs ago, the picture quality alone was enough to blow you away. Fair to say I haven't watched FTA since then.
Nowdays you get every game live, plus a dedicated channel to footy, then in the off season we get EPL games live all weekend plus midweek games and Champions league. A League has lifted its game at last, that's a bonus.

Because surely an exclusive internet service is unfeasible given so many fans live in remote areas with poor internet speeds. I don't mind if they offer their own service again like they did with mobiles this year but also do it for Smart TV's as well, but don't make one game exclusive each week.

There's a difference between people missing out on games because they can't afford Foxtel and people missing out because their location/Australia's archaic view of broadband means that they physically can't watch a match due to poor internet speeds.

You solve that by simply offering Foxtel the right to re-broadcast games to remote and regional Australia.

Im also interested how Foxtel's digital signal gets to those places ...

You know you can listen to it for free on the radio, right?

Or you could go to the pub and watch it for free, or maybe, just maybe you could pay for fox footy

Ffs stop whinging
FFS just * off.

If you can not see how making people pay extra to watch their team run around, then nothin I say will convince you to change your mind.

Oh, and I will whinge on BF as much as I want.

Tosser.

**** there are some sooks. Why should it be a persons right to get free matches to watch on tv?
If you want it, pay for it. If not listen to it on the radio
Why should it be a person's right to get free matches to listen to on the radio?
If you want it, pay for it. If not ... uh ... erm ... oh bugger

This is just a bluff to get Foxtel to pay more since they have a monopoly on pay tv and the fta channels aren't interested in more than 4 games.

As if the AFL is going to pay for cameras, production costs, commentators, marketers, customer service, technicians etc etc to show one game that only tech savvy nerds will buy and 40% of the population don't have the Internet speed to watch even in sd.

Foxtel will reduce its by 33% for sports+basic on nov 3 cut a deal and u can get all games in hd for around $10 a week.

**** there are some sooks. Why should it be a persons right to get free matches to watch on tv?
If you want it, pay for it. If not listen to it on the radio

The problem with this country is there are too many people who want everything for nothing

I couldn't agree more.

This is a user pays world.

You want something - put your hand in your pocket and pay for it.

You can't afford it - that's no-one's problem bar your own.

Because surely an exclusive internet service is unfeasible given so many fans live in remote areas with poor internet speeds. I don't mind if they offer their own service again like they did with mobiles this year but also do it for Smart TV's as well, but don't make one game exclusive each week.

There's a difference between people missing out on games because they can't afford Foxtel and people missing out because their location/Australia's archaic view of broadband means that they physically can't watch a match due to poor internet speeds.
THIS. The internet speeds in Australia are disgraceful by world standards. An internet subscription service would be fantastic if we had a fully implemented NBN and the lower costs would most likely make it cheaper than Foxtel.

But that probably says more about the short sightedness of the government than it does about the AFL commission.

You will have to pay both tho
Only if I want Foxtel, which I don't. I'll probably either subscribe to AFL Live again through a VPN or go invest $5 in an Ainslie Footy Club membership and watch the Fox games there.

This is just a bluff to get Foxtel to pay more since they have a monopoly on pay tv and the fta channels aren't interested in more than 4 games.

As if the AFL is going to pay for cameras, production costs, commentators, marketers, customer service, technicians etc etc to show one game that only tech savvy nerds will buy and 40% of the population don't have the Internet speed to watch even in sd.

Foxtel will reduce its by 33% for sports+basic on nov 3 cut a deal and u can get all games in hd for around $10 a week.

The AFL has actually already done that for certain NEAFL and practice matches.

It was bare-bones coverage, but it was definitely the AFL building the capability, in the same way they have built enough journalism capability to prevent the Herald-Sun putting footy behind a paywall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if I want Foxtel, which I don't. I'll probably either subscribe to AFL Live again through a VPN or go invest $5 in an Ainslie Footy Club membership and watch the Fox games there.

Then how does this help you ?

Now you have to do all of the above and pay for this extra exclusive game or the Ainsle footy club does and theyll have to set up streaming etc as well as pay for foxtel.

IF they streamed all the games then thats different but making people who want to watch all games pay for foxtel AND this online thing is a joke.

So he has said that he is considering playing a game a round which is only viewable to people with a paid online subscription. This guy is a legitimate clown.

The AFL have already started their media organisation.

Give it 20 years and the whole league will be via subscription direct to the AFL.

You'll be able to stream it direct to your TV for $X per month

Surely in this day and age, anyone with an internet connection should be able to watch anygame, anytime on their TV (through AppleTV, T-Box etc) with a subscription

Those championing streaming via the AFL may be forgetting how data-intensive streaming a three-hour game is, and then doing that 180+ times a year

Not everyone has, or can afford to have unlimited internet, and certainly not everyone is willing to be with Bigpond to get what would likely be umetered downloads via the AFL

FFS just **** off.

If you can not see how making people pay extra to watch their team run around, then nothin I say will convince you to change your mind.

Oh, and I will whinge on BF as much as I want.

Tosser.

I'm not saying it is right, but there are too many people who feel that they should just be given everything for free these days.

Food at games is too expensive, going to a game is too expensive, paying for Foxtel is too expensive. Then when a game is on free to air they start complaining that the picture isn't in HD.

Calling me a tosser doesn't make your argument any more right, you know?

You solve that by simply offering Foxtel the right to re-broadcast games to remote and regional Australia.

Im also interested how Foxtel's digital signal gets to those places ...

Satellite - exactly the same way as I (and many others) currently get it in Melbourne and other cities in Australia. Just point the dish at the correct place in the sky and away you go...

They should go all out and model it off something like NBA League Pass. I'd happily pay $200ish a year to get access to all games in HD and on-demand.

* Foxtel as far as I'm concerned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back